• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your views on Gay Marriage/Gays in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous920314

何だよ?!
Reaction score
I don't know, just wondering what everyones opinions were. Personally, I don't think gay marriage should be allowed, simply because marriage is defined as a union between a man and a woman. Gay unions however, I think should be allowed.

But the whole gays shouldn't be together at all . . I don't agree with.

And what about the "flamers"?

In my opinion, the only argument against homosexuality is "because the Bible said so". I mean, if there's any other argument, please let me know. And it can't be the "gays spread AIDS" thing, we all know that AIDS isn't spread exclusively throughout homosexuals.

Well he never exactly argues against homosexuality, he just believes in keeping marriage traditional with special unions for gay people - which is essentially the same thing anyway.

Even though it's a pretty good idea and more or less keeps both sides happy, it goes back to that "separate but equal" notion we had in the 50's and such that we outlawed.

edit: I did mis-read your post a bit earlier Pino, sorry about that joke I made. :F

Last edited:
IMO:

Gay Marriage: When you get right down to it, the vast majority (I've never heard of anyone against it otherwise besides being homophobic) who oppose gay marriage are against it for religious reasons. Pfft, marriage isn't sacred when half the people who get married divorce, let alone the numbers of the couples that cheat and so on. Defining it as a union between a man and a woman doesn't matter much to me. In fact, the only problem it'd cause to change it is the uproar the conservative money men who'd have the 'power' to really pitch a fit.

Gays in general: I've never found anything wrong with it. Because there isn't (again, imo :3). I could never wrap my mind around how it can be deemed wrong if you're not religious.

-Flamers: I'll get to these guys later.

That's my reasoning too.

If marriage is so freaking sacred and special; why is it abused all the time? People getting married two, three, or even four times?

I don't give a shit. But it is an indicator. If the U.S. stops disrimination against gays and legalizes gay marriage, my fears of it turning into a theocracy would be assuaged. As it is, the country is sliding towards religious rule.

I think my views on this topic are a little sterile and cold, but it's the way I feel:

First I think homosexuals should be allowed to marry. There is suppose to be a separation of church and state in the US. Meaning that any government certified thing, no matter where the origin, should be viewed in the same cold manner. So the same amount of respect and rights should be honored for a gay person. I do believe that a church should have the right to deny marrying a couple, however, for what ever reasons they may have that conflicts with their religion (even if it's stupid or backwards like denial due to race or social standing). It is their right as a private organization.

As for gay people, as both a scientific and/or Religious point of view, it is something important. Weather through evolution or a divine God, homosexuality is something intensionally created. It is one of the few things that can control population of a dominate species. I don't believe there is anything negative stated about homosexuals in the bible because it is part of a natural balance needed, because it is weird and different people want to cast it out. It's been happening for centuries (and longer) so I don't see how this is much different, I just wish people would keep the Bible out of it!

I'm not gay, but I think this little game of putting them down should be over with already! It's kind of embarrassing that this has to be an issue for us, supposed civilized peoples.

I completely agree with you Bell. hahaha, I guess I should of mentioned I am gay, so maybe I'm a little biased? ;)

Yeah, well see, I hate the "gay marriage is against the Bible" argument if it's being used with the ignorance of the definition of marriage. Because, iirc, marriage is actually a legal contract and the only religious part of it is if you choose to have the big extravagent ceremony. I don't see how you could pull the Bible card if the marriage itself isn't taking place in a spiritual area.

Porygon . . what? I think I missed something ;___;

Discrimination = always bad ever. Of course it's slightly different than race-based discrimination and so on since people can hide their orientation, but it's still discrimination. So gay marriage should definetly be legal.

What annoys the hell out of me isn't the marriage topic since... y'know, I don't plan to marry anytime soon if at all. What's annoying is otherwise perfectly likeable people who like everyone to know that they just do not like homo/bisexuality. I honestly can't blame anyone for thinking it's icky or whatever, but I'd like for them to keep it to themselves unless otherwise asked of their opinion (like in threads like this).

Oh, and I like guys too. I maaaaay be bi (as I can see myself in the future possibly with a girl), but I don't really... well, know. XD Romance just isn't a big deal to me so I'm kinda in the dark about my preferences for the most part.

I'm all for gay marriage.

Gays don't spread STDs. Promiscuous people do. Homosexual males tend to be promiscuous because men tend to be more promiscuous than women. Heterosexual males have to compromise with women, who are generally less okay with causal sex, but homosexual men have no such restrictions.

There's no evidence that homosexuality is in and of itself harmful. Even if there did turn out to be a trend of people with daddy issues or poor families or whatever (and you'd have to show me more than one study to prove that), that makes homosexuality a symptom of something, not a problem itself. People need to learn the difference.

I don't care if homosexuality is unnatural or natural. That has no impact on whether or not it is morally wrong. Monogamy is unnatural. Is monogamy wrong?

I also don't care what it says in the Bible. Marriage is not an exclusively Christian concept.

And the whole separation of church and state thing? Please. Allowing gay marriage is not forcing priests to marry gay couples. On the other hand, forbidding gay marriage is forcing religious institutions who are open to homosexuality to conform to the state's standards, and that is wrong.

And the whole separation of church and state thing? Please. Allowing gay marriage is not forcing priests to marry gay couples. On the other hand, forbidding gay marriage is forcing religious institutions who are open to homosexuality to conform to the state's standards, and that is wrong.

Exactly. If individual religious institutions want to yay or nay it, then so be it. I don't have to agree with them, but I so rarely do, so one more thing won't matter. But the government should only be looking out for the best interests of the people, and limiting marriage helps no one.

I say, Bell's got it right on with what I think and brought up even more good points.

anyone who feels there should be no gay marrage seems pretty greedy and oppressive in my book, If gays and lesbians have to have "civil unions"(by the way, because of this label many companies use it as a loophole to refuse benifits, etc to gays) then why not strait people!? I mean holy fuck, its a damn document that increases your taxes and makes more things illegal for you to do.

course if i had my way, I would abbolish legal marraige alltogether.

@Lamia: That'll only happen when they solve AIDs and all the other diseases, and then it won't really matter at all.

I'm religious, and I think being gay is morally wrong, but legally, it's right. Freedom of expression, and the fact, as cited earlier, of separation between search and state - marriage, though it once was religious, is no longer. (This applies, in my opinion, to all questionable doings of the day - gays, abortion, etc. You have the right, but you have to leave my choices alone as well.)

First of all don't think I am against all religious people or something I have tons of Christian friends and quite a few mormon friends. Hell, my best friend is mormon.

I think it is thoroughly retarded to not let homosexuals marry, that is going against everything our constitution says. We are free to believe in our own religion and if someone believes in gay marriage they shoudl be free to marry gay. Not that civil union shit. And don't you tell me that marriage is sacrid between a man and woman if it is so sacred why do people just go to vegas for a night and get drunk, get married, and then get a divorce right away. We live in a world filled with hypocrytical people and so I don't expect this issue to ever go away unless god came down from the sky and said "Let the gays marry". I would be totally shocked by that and being an aethiest I would be like "Well I'll be damned, they were right. He does exist". And don't get me started on abortion.
/rant

As long as they're happy, gay and lesbians should be allowed to be married in the same way as heterosexuals.

I mean marriage has long been dishonored and lost its sacredness with divorce and cheating rates up high

Eh, They can do what they want :/ *shrugs* I'm not against, nor am I for it.

First of all don't think I am against all religious people or something I have tons of Christian friends and quite a few mormon friends. Hell, my best friend is mormon.

I think it is thoroughly retarded to not let homosexuals marry, that is going against everything our constitution says.

what are you talking about, it dosent go against anything in our constitution that i know of, Infact, the constitution(s) are the problem, they defign legal marriage as something between a man and a woman. the question here, is whether it is okay to refuse gays the rights that strait people have, the constitution has had plenty of stuff about slavery, it didnt mean that these things where moral or pro american.

The only real guide we have is the word of our founding fathers, this word is that all human beings are created with certain inelienable rights, what this whole thing comes down to is this, is marriage one of them?

I am a Christian that supports Civil Unions, but not Gay Marriage. I support Gay Rights as well. The reason is a religious one. In the Garden Of Eden, it was Adam and Eve, not Steve and Steve. It is their preference if they want a same sex life partner, and they should be allowed to leave their life partner in charge of things if the need arises.
Ben

I believe in gay rights but not gay marrage. If gay people didnt call it marriage and instead called it butt buddies.
Instead of marrage... butt budies
instead of being engaged... butt budies.... and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom