• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Legends Z-A Pokemon Legends Z-A General Speculation & Discussion

I think Megas will make a permanent return and this the way of reintroducing them, of all the battle gimmicks its the only one anyone has been calling for to make a return. No one is calling out for, Dynamax or Terastalisation.
I mean... Casually no, competitively ive seen people think Tera should stay. (And also some who don't want megas back due to them being too strong)

Mega Rayquaza maybe
but I wouldn’t put it past hardcore competitive players to find a way to defeat mega Pokemon
Or who knows, maybe GF will make a new competitive mode for Megas only or something

*I don’t play competitive so tell me if this is a little far fetched

I just hope they give new megas to Pokemon who actually need it and not "This already super strong pokemon is popular... Let's make it even stronger!" that was most megas in gen 6.
And dont lock 90% of them behind the post game this time darn it

I wouldn't be surprised if future games start to revisit all of the past gimmicks. I fully expect Megas will probably be back in competitive after PLZA, and maybe in the future tera, dynamax and z-moves can all be re-visited.

I agree Tera is the most fun competitively.

Out of the 46 Pokémon that got a Mega Evolution, 12 of them were OU and 3 of them were Uber originally.
That's not most megas.

Earlier, an individual drew my attention to something that I hadn't noticed in the trailer: The Talonflame in the trailer, at the end of the video, turns into a fletchling after passing through the Prism tower.

In other words, initially we have the 2D drawing of a Pikachu that turns into 3D and travels to the future, while we follow its perspective as it walks through the city. Then, the perspective changes to that of a Talonflame crossing over rooftops and flying over the city, so that, at the end of the trailer, as it passes under/around the Lumiose Tower, instead of the hawk, a little bird, Fletchling, emerges.

What does this mean? I don't know, but it is indeed interesting and it seems that, in this trailer, the past and the future are somehow intertwined.

Last edited:
I'm worried about it "Taking place entirely within lumiose city". I really really really hope it was just some kind of translation error or will be changed. I really really love the kalos region and I've been waiting 10 years to see all of the cities and nature areas in better quality. Can you imagine how cool it would be to see stantalune forest or geosenge town (where the ultimate weapon is) or any of the other places? I don't neccisarily want them to do an open world (Mostly because of how terrible SV was) but I think it should be like Legends Arceus, with a few different areas on the map. I just can't imagine pokemon confined to a single city, even if it was huge and full off parks and stuff. I could see a catacomb style place happening, but unless they turned it into a while underground eco system or something, I don't think it would work. Safari zones and stuff have never been as cool as actual wilderness areas in my opinion. Game freak, please, please don't ruin kalos for me

Didn't stop GF from making all three Kanto starters to be reptiles.
Sure but that was in Gen 1, when they were new at making Pokemon games and probably didn't care too much about variation. Typically after that they started being more varied with the Starter Pokemon in each generation though, with stuff like Gen 2 being a mild exception since we had two reptiles again (assuming Chikorita is meant to be a dinosaur).

Personally I don't have any particular wants regarding the Starters since I probably won't get this game anyway, but if I do I would just pick whichever Starter I think would be best for the playthrough in terms of type advantage rather than based on personal attachment to any specific species.

I'm really worried about the whole "Set entirely within Lumiose" thing. While I think if they did it right it would work, I just can't see pokemon without wilderness or wild pokemon. Even if they make a bunch of parks and safari zones, those are artifical, nothing compared to real outdoor areas. Even the terrarium in SV was kind of a let down. It was small and just...boring. I really hope the tweet was just some kind of translation error or that it'll be changed during development. We do still have a year until it releases and we don't know how far along it is. I just really hope game freak takes their time and listens to the community like they seem to be doing so far this year. Overall I'd be greatful for a game set in kalos, but I just hope I get to see some of my favorite routes and towns again, wether they be old or futuristic.

Earlier, an individual drew my attention to something that I hadn't noticed in the trailer: The Talonflame in the trailer, at the end of the video, turns into a fletchling after passing through the Lumiose tower.

In other words, initially we have the 2D drawing of a Pikachu that turns into 3D and travels to the future, while we follow its perspective as it walks through the city. Then, the perspective changes to that of a Talonflame crossing over rooftops and flying over the city, so that, at the end of the trailer, as it passes under/around the Lumiose Tower, instead of the hawk, a little bird, Fletchling, emerges.

What this means, I don't know, but it is indeed interesting and it seems that, in this trailer, the past and the future are somehow intertwined.
The only thing I am sure of is, given this and the title, going from the end back to the beginning will be a major theme of the game.

Also, I know it's hard to notice, but the Talonflame in the trailer does not skip the Fletchinder stage. You can see the transformation from Fletchinder to Fletchling transformation in the Prism Tower shot at the end if you're paying attention.

Last edited:
I'm really worried about the whole "Set entirely within Lumiose" thing. While I think if they did it right it would work, I just can't see pokemon without wilderness or wild pokemon. Even if they make a bunch of parks and safari zones, those are artifical, nothing compared to real outdoor areas. Even the terrarium in SV was kind of a let down. It was small and just...boring. I really hope the tweet was just some kind of translation error or that it'll be changed during development. We do still have a year until it releases and we don't know how far along it is. I just really hope game freak takes their time and listens to the community like they seem to be doing so far this year. Overall I'd be greatful for a game set in kalos, but I just hope I get to see some of my favorite routes and towns again, wether they be old or futuristic.
Maybe stuff could be hidden in the city like a Pokemon version of Catacombs of Paris.

It's true that nature and the environment has always been a theme of the Pokemon franchise, but I think it's important to remember that, in the real world at least, "real outdoor areas" as you describe, no longer exist. With the exception of the polar regions and possibly some areas in the remote regions of the tropics, every landscape on earth has been heavily modified and/or altered by humans. It may not be obvious to the untrained eye, but to someone who knows what to look for, "nature" exists everywhere and nowhere, depending on how one defines "nature". Organisms occur everywhere, eve in the most human-dominated places. True wilderness, lacking humans, is basically extinct.

I see no reason the Pokemon world would be different.

IDK I think its fun to do something different, and legends is a better place to do that then the main new generation games.
And theres still Wild Pokemon, the whole point of the city redeveloping they mention is so wild pokemon can live alongside humans in Lumiose.
I think that's why Legends Arceus is more well received by fans.

dusts ye olde account off Ohhh, man. Oh, wow. What a curveball.

I was actually dreading this Presents. Scarlet and Violet really let me down after the hype and breath of fresh air that was PLA. I played the base game, but for the first time in my life it felt like a slog to be playing Pokémon. Didn’t touch the DLC. After the BDSP fiasco I was NOT looking forward to their plans for a Unova remake. And honestly even as a Legends fan I was lukewarm about a possible title for Unova because I wasn’t super jazzed about the possibility of a Pokémon-flavored Liberty’s Kids.

But, holy crap, we’re getting a Legends title about KALOS instead. Kalos. My underbaked forever-neglected darling of untapped potential. My dearest and most frustrating love. With the giant fantasy nuke drama and everything about AZ and Lysandre and the frightening implications of Mega Evolution and the themes of life and death, creation and destruction, and what it means to strive for a better future. KALOS. I LOVE YOU. AND YOU’RE GETTING A NEW GAME OUT OF NOWHERE.

Yeah, I’ll be daring to get my hopes up for this one. I have over 100 hours on my original X file and always loved what little of Lumiose we did see. I think scaling back from a laggy open world to fleshing out One zone so that it’s full of worthwhile stuff is the way to go and I really, really hope that they nail it. Please.

Earlier, an individual drew my attention to something that I hadn't noticed in the trailer: The Talonflame in the trailer, at the end of the video, turns into a fletchling after passing through the Prism tower.

What this means, I don't know, but it is indeed interesting and it seems that, in this trailer, the past and the future are somehow intertwined.
They're just throwbacks at X/Y in general.

Fletchling is pretty much the first thing you see starting a new game on X/Y, and the Pikachu sketch is a nod at how Gen VI was announced, with Pikachu at the top of the Prism Tower with Lumiose as the background.

Pretty much bookends for Gen VI.

One idea I have is that the city is divided into eight districts, each with their own Gym, and that in order to rebuild the city you must unite together all eight districts. And in order to do that you'll need to challenge and defeat each Gym Leader and receive the Gym Badges.

Back
Top Bottom