• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

12 Days of Bulbagarden contest FAQ: Fanart, fanfic contest prizes announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh goodie i won. But what. If it involves mail then hmmm i think i need some splaining to do to my parents.
So then may i state im outside the us? I mean if the gift is something with region lock of course. Yes im excited about winning something,. Very.
About new users issue. Although i joined in december i joined before contest announced so yeah im sorry if you fee like i cheated someway somehow and that i jopined for the contest only.

Last edited:
If Bulbagraden really cared about new people winning a contest that had no base of seniority, only luck, they could have blocked registration I'd think.

Whining about new people winning a contest is like whining about 18-year-olds who win the lottery the first time they play. It's stupid and it doesn't change anything. :0
No, where talking about people who join JUST for the lucky draw, then leave without any contribution. That's not the same as the lottery at all. I really wish this pointless arguement would just stop.
With the general consensus of the forum regulars like this, is it any wonder why newbies and lurkers don't stick around?
It was posts like this that drove me to that conclusion:
Results have been posted! :O I'll try again next time. Back to inactivity.
Sure, if people contribute and stick around, it's just as fair that they should win the contest too. But when people do what this person did, it annoys me.

With the general consensus of the forum regulars like this, is it any wonder why newbies and lurkers don't stick around?

And thus the vicious cycle of newbies being driven off by the gurus begins.

No, where talking about people who join JUST for the lucky draw, then leave without any contribution. That's not the same as the lottery at all. I really wish this pointless arguement would just stop.

It was posts like this that drove me to that conclusion:

Sure, if people contribute and stick around, it's just as fair that they should win the contest too. But when people do what this person did, it annoys me.

Then don't let it annoy you, because people will do what they want to do and you can't make them stay anyhow. Besides, if it bothers you that much, would you want someone with that kind of attitude posting on a regular basis around here?

As The Pig King said;
And even if they only make one or two worthwhile posts, again, it's better than none at all.

If they entered the daily drawing, they had to have posted. So it's not like they came, they posted, they left. It might be more like they came, they posted something meaningful, and they left if nothing interested them. Why not just be indifferent to their personal decisions?

Every registered member of the Bulbagarden Forums who makes at least one substantial post to the forums during the contest period will automatically be entered into a random drawing for that day's prize. The prizes will start out small for today's winner and continue to the grand prize on Christmas.

Substantial posts are those that contribute new ideas or content to the forums. One- or two-word replies are not substantial. To prevent spam or duplicate postings, each member may only enter the contest once per day regardless of how many postings are made.

A drawing is a drawing, and a lotto is a lotto. To enter a lotto, you pay to buy a ticket, to enter the drawing, you make a substantial post. This is like a lotto where people could only enter once a day.
It's just a small comparison.

Last edited:
So wait the smallest gifts are on the 12th following to the big bad 11th day which gets good stuff? Aha. So im on the 14th. It will be decent right?

I wouldn't think it really mattered. I'd just be happy to get a prize at all.

EDIT: I didn't, but I'm hoping to win the fanfic comp.

Last edited:
Yeah your right. But through amazon eh? Something will stop me from getting the prize but who knows! Last time i won something it was a limited edition red ds phat. and it cam with mario kart and decals. Hopefully nth stops me and i actually do get the chance to claim the prize.

okay, relating to the members joining because of the contest.

i did just recently register when i saw the contest, but mainly because i liked the idea of a fanfic battle and thought it would be cool to try it out. i honestly don't really care if i win or not, i just enjoy contests and seeing what other people have posted. now that i am a member of the forums, i think i will check threads out and post:D

Don't!!! It's a trap!!!!! Once results are posted run from this site screaming as though your life depended on it!!!!

Oh goodie i won. But what. If it involves mail then hmmm i think i need some splaining to do to my parents.
So then may i state im outside the us?

Yes, the prize will be mailed to you. This means you will have to give Bulbagarden staff your mailing address when we ask you for it. If your parents say no, then sorry, we can't mail it to you and will have to pick another winner. And you don't have to live in the U.S.

For the record, the daily prizes don't come in order of value except for the DS on Christmas. You might get a cheap prize for one of the last days — you'll see. Yes, we do have the prizes already picked out, despite what it might seem from the disorganization of this contest.

And, Redder, you're way too young to be on the internet. Too much scary stuff goes on here.

Redder is 19. You can't see it in his public profile, though.

Oy... Has anyone at least offered to be the replacement judge for the fan-fic competition, or is that seat still sitting empty? x.x

Bulbs offered, and I'm assuming you're offering. But both of you have recent join dates and low post counts, so what with the general feelings towards newbies on this forum, I'd say neither of you will be trusted with the task. Remember: only old forum regulars are allowed to win anything!

And sure, maybe I'm 19. But what if I lied when registering out of habit since most forums have an age requirement? Since 19 isn't a ridiculous age like 6, though, I'm going to say that most people are just going to accept it, and thus the forum has been robbed of several more humorous posts regarding my true persona. The mods are probably going to say that they avoided spam, but what is life when everything is linear? Devoid of conflict and uncertainty, things get pretty boring.

Redder, I don't see why you're going around with that attitude. That kind of thing just making people resent newbies more.

Oh, I wasn't offering- I can't, I entered, so I'm ineligible to judge anyway. But I thought only the staff were able to judge it anyway?
No, I was just asking.

I'd step in, but I can't judge it fairly since I entered.

Because I went into this competition smiling and happy, but the overall negative attitude I keep getting from the regulars is that newbies and lurkers should not win, even though the contest rules don't prohibit it. Because in chat, I saw the very people who were running the competition expressing their displeasure at the people who joined due to the contests.

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of the people in this thread dislike me because of the few cynical posts I've tossed into this thread. Nevermind that I've been posting constructively around the rest of the board. For all you guys know, I could be an old member coming back to see if y'all still treat newbies with opinions poorly rather than embracing the interesting and deep discussions that could be had.

So are they still looking for a judge? (I'm not offering obviously, I've both entered and have a low post count and recent join date)

That's a bummer, I was looking forward to hearing the results soon. Hopefully someone will step up! =P
How is the judging for the fanart coming along? Will the results for the fanart be delayed so they're released at the same time as the fanfics?

I don't think anyone on this forum is against newbies. I think what some people are against is people joining, posting a few times for the contest, and then leaving. I think what people are mad about is lurkers who aren't going to contribute any more to the forums winning, rather than people who are going to continue posting.

Because in chat, I saw the very people who were running the competition expressing their displeasure at the people who joined due to the contests.

To be fair, even if the people running/judging the competition are against people joining specifically for the contests, I'm sure they're mature enough not to hold this against people. If they were petty people like that I'm sure they'd never have been able to become admins.

Also, I think the reason people are taking a disliking to you is because you're clearly making posts with the intent of provoking people. Sure this whole regulars vs. newbies concept is a little silly, but I think you're just joining in. I think you'll find that this anti-lurker/newbie feeling is within a rather vocal minority.

And as for people getting annoyed with you just because you're a newbie, I think that is wishful thinking. Again, I'd have to say it's because you're making ridiculous posts just to try and prove people wrong and annoy them when they're clearly completely unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom