• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

4th Gen Trainer's Travelog

Re: Trainer's Travelog

Eee, just a quickie update from me today:

HeartGold - Time: 42:07

- Finally figured out the Lighthouse Puzzle yesterday. I'm kicking myself for missing how simple it was to figure it out... GAHH. But yeah, flew to Cianwood and helped get Amphy all healed up. Hooray! Now to train up Lyra (Quilava) for Gym #6! Maybe I'll catch a female Wooper to continue my all-female streak so far... A Water/Ground type would be nice for this battle, wouldn't it?
- Jenni, my bred Eevee finally evolved! I was aiming for Umbreon, but I'll take Espeon anyway. I can always hatch some more.
- Shiny Leaves~ Both Shelie (Crobat) and Jenni (Espeon) have two, both found in about an hour. I'm amazed by how fun it was to find them!
- Still breeding Eevee Eggs. Soon hoping to breed some HG exclusives for trades and such (since most of my friends have SS... I don't mind helping out!) after I get more Eevees.
- ...I still can't get past Lv.3 in Voltorb Flip. Gah, so fun...so addictive...so brain-wrecking. At least it's more fun than SLOTS. *starts to run*
- I might try out the Safari Game later today. It just opened at last... or do the Bug-Catching Contest...and try to win for once.

Current Team: (still all female)
Tonfa (Flaaffy) Lv.27
Jenni (Espeon) Lv.17
Shelie (Crobat) Lv.28
Norah (Furret) Lv.24
Lyra (Quilava) Lv.25
EGG (Eevee)

I hope by tomorrow I'll be aiming for some fun tiems with Team Rocket! Whee~

[EDIT]:...and now Lyra found two. Yay, this is fun.

HOW ARE YOU 42 HOURS IN AND ONLY THAT FAR.

I'm confus.

Really? Is it legit? Anyways, me too, this is my first time I don't search and catch every Pokémon at first sight. But I don't feel it rushed, as it is also one of my best teams IMO (except for my Adamant Garchomp in my deceased Platinum).
Seems legit, caught by a master ball, from japan, and it says "Route 42. Apparently met at lv. 40."
and it's in lv. 41. My team, not that satisfied, Pearls team is the best team.

HOW ARE YOU 42 HOURS IN AND ONLY THAT FAR.

I'm confus.
You take your time. I'm in about the same place as her with 33 hours.

I know from past games, I used to just speed through using my starter as a powerhouse and having the occasional strong Pokemon to beat the gyms the starter (which is normally a fire type) can't beat. Usually my team consisted of the main Flying type for that game (like Pidgeot), an electric type, a Gyrados, etc, basic generic stuff. I use to be able to have already gotten to the Elite Four in just 30 hours.

Now...I understand what Juuchan is talking about and having 40+ hours and having only 5 badges. The Voltorb Flip takes up a lot of hours very fast if you love it and keep playing. It also looks as though she's leveling her Pokemon up at the same time. I'd imagine the egg hatching took her a while...it took me a lot of patience and biking in Goldenrod to get it hatch.

So that's how you take 40+ hours to be that far. You don't fly through it, but instead take your time through the game. I personally find it a little more enjoyable this way.

(I also find myself leaving it on while doing something else...like right now. :] )

My update:

Dragonair lvl 30
Quilava lvl 26 (I neglected him to train for Chuck)
Ampharos lvl 30
Quagsire lvl 21 (HM person thing)
Pidgeotto lvl 31 (only keeping it around to get Pidgeot)
Eevee lvl 9 (will one day be an Umbreon)

33+ hours. Beat Chuck recently (wasn't too bad) and am now working on getting my Eevee to happily evolve. Giving her some Calcium, just gave her a haircut, and now training. Once we have Umbreon, it's off to fight Jasmine. Or train to fight Jasmine.

ugh i am at 40 hrs and 8 badges. I havent gone to the elite four for a serious run. I tried a quick run to see how far i could get with my decent lvled 4 member team and i ended up being beaten by lance, i swear that guy was given the cheat "the entire battle" programming.
Other than that i am just finishing up some side quests and further exploration and training before i do a serious run at lance.
Current team is
-typhlosion lvl 43
-Ampharos lvl 46
-Red Gyarados lvl 43
-Lugia lvl 46
i think i might just add my extreme speed dratini and train it up to destroy kanto with.

Our teams are pretty similar. I passed on Red Gy because I read he is red because he is Shiny, and Shiny's IV10 stats are disappointing. Plus I figured everyone will be going for that same 'cool factor' so I just did what I would do against the next one I encountered...

Lance wasn't too bad but I spent every 1UP I had to get through it, hopping back and forth between Typhlosion and Lugia, with the other four being nothing but designated bullet-takers except for my Ampharos who splattered the lead Gyrados first-turn. Fried fish chunks all over the place. I probably would not have made if Amphie didn't paralyze as she dropped, if I had rolled any more flinches, if any more of his attacks had critted, and if my Ty didn't stop once each at 1, 2, and 4 health to sneak in a spare Swift before requiring smelling salts. Had to use an Ether, too, to get Lugia a water balloon to splash Charizard with in the big finish.

Did you know that when you rematch the gym leaders at the time, like Morty on Tuesday nights, you can KEEP calling and asking for rematches. Now this solves my grinding problem for Red. :D

I gave Coin Flip a try...and wow it is addictive. Once you understand that the number of Voltorb in a row is on the side of each row, you can go wild on the zero rows. I'm sooooo glad I'm using Ampharos and its Discharge now. It may be slow, but it can take a hit and have a good shot at paralyzing the opponent, which is useful.

Did you know that when you rematch the gym leaders at the time, like Morty on Tuesday nights, you can KEEP calling and asking for rematches. Now this solves my grinding problem for Red. :D

I gave Coin Flip a try...and wow it is addictive. Once you understand that the number of Voltorb in a row is on the side of each row, you can go wild on the zero rows. I'm sooooo glad I'm using Ampharos and its Discharge now. It may be slow, but it can take a hit and have a good shot at paralyzing the opponent, which is useful.

I'm pretty sure I posted that fact somewhere before... Or maybe I've just said it elsewhere... meh whatever.

btw, it's called voltorb flip, not coin flip. >_>

It comes down to a coin flip when you're down to two rows, two columns, and their remaining value is equal. But you gotta go for it since you only get 1/4th, 1/6th, or 1/9th of the pot if you chicken out, and sometimes it docks you a level anyway.

i just barely beat lance with ampharos XD, it was very lucky. i had tried i think 6 times to beat the elite four and now i have so on to kanto!!
my team is:
pupitar(TIM) lv.41
noctowl(PNEUMATIC) lv. 40
typhlosion(SIZZURP) lv. 42
POLIWRATH lv. 42
hypno(PART DEUX) lv. 41
ampahros(SPEARMINT) lv. 45

ive got 25:53 on the game so far within 3 days of having it xD

Holy crap I beat Pryce in one shot!

I imagined I would go in and get thrashed as I had for the last three Gym Leaders. But, with judicious use of Flaafy's thundershock (for Seel and Dewgong) and a timely swap to Ravage to surf Piloswine to death, I got him in one.

So, results from the battle:

Badges: 7
Time played: 28:01
Pokedex: 51 caught (damn you, Oak, and your needing to see all 256 Johto Pokemon)
  • Pokemon:
  • Trypticon (Lv 28 M Vulpix)
  • Laserbeak (Lv 27 F Noctowl)
  • Sideways (Lv 29 F Haunter)
  • Shockwave (Lv 30 F Ampharos; yes, she evolved after the battle)
  • Astrotrain (Lv 28 F Machoke)
  • Ravage (Lv 31 M Feraligatr)

I'm pretty sure I posted that fact somewhere before... Or maybe I've just said it elsewhere... meh whatever.

btw, it's called voltorb flip, not coin flip. >_>

A flip's a flip for a flip who gives a flip.

Team:
Apollo - Level 31 Quilava
Bird-Eater - Level 29 Ariados
Hypnotoad - Level 30 Poliwrath
Beatrice - Level 30 Hypno
Teddie - Level 30 Ursaring
Treble - Level 30 Clefairy

- Demolished Mahogany gym yesterday, went to take on Cianwood and Olivine today. I am now hideously overleveled for this part of the game.

- Beatrice just about swept Chuck's entire gym, until Poliwrath finally took her down. Teddie proceeded to leap out of his Pokeball and pretty much just rip Poliwrath in two.

- Apollo led the battle against Jasmine, but I tagged him out for Hypnotoad as soon as I realized "Wait she has Steelix this is a terrible idea". The fight from there was pretty much SUBPUNCH, SUBPUNCH, DONE.

- Didn't particularly feel like stopping Team Rocket, so I went to the Safari Zone instead. Spent a good half hour or so throwing mud at Jigglypuffs.

- Participated in the Bug-Catching Contest, caught a Butterfree and won. Got another Sun Stone.

- Playing Voltorb Flip while I wait for the Safari Zone guy to call me back. Should probably do something about these Rockets.

Last edited:

Finally beat Blue. Easiest Gym match in the whole game. One by one, my Pokémon 1HKO'ed his, save for his Pidgeot, who anyways fell on the second hit (never thought Pidgeot's have such a good Sp. Def.); still it was epic just because it was Blue.

Apart from the male Ace Trainers with femenine names in his Gym, I also met a Bug Catcher by the name "Stacey" in Viridan Forest, which made LOL, as one of my best (female) friends is also called Stacey.

The team that gave me the victory was:

Typhlopsion, LV. 63 (64 after burning his Exeggutor down to ashes)
Ampharos, Lv. 61 (62 after frying Gyarados and Pidgeot)
Gyarados, Lv. 61
Misdreavus, Lv. 61 (the only one that did not take part in the epic battle)
Lugia, Lv. 61

Now, it's ginding time, aiming to beat Red.

I didn't know that you can rechallenge endlessly a Leader during the same day. So that's it, tomorrow I'll start officially my training. Now I'm taking a rest and maybe go after the legendaries. So far I've only caught Lugia and Articuno (the ones that you encounter anyways, basically).

A word of advice against Jasmine: only use a fire type on Steelix if it knows a special fire type move and is at least Lv. 30, or if it knows smokescreen. I used the second, and it helped a lot. At this point in the game, you won't be able to 1HKO Steelix anyway. It will get a move in no matter what you do outside from overleveling. You can at least keep it from hitting with that move by paralyzing it with glare (thunder wave won't work since it's a ground type), by putting it to sleep (don't bother with sing, go with Hypnosis instead), by freezing it (although I doubt you would have an ice type yet unless you traded something in from another game), by confusing it (my favorite. Hey, I can be sadistic too you know, even if I'm not a Rocket), or by lowering it's accuracy (the n00bs way of doing it, but it's not like you're in a standard rule-set battle).

Now, it's ginding time, aiming to beat Red.

Good luck on that. He gave me trouble even after I traded over my Platinum team. At least someone is catching up. By the way, which version are you playing? (Please be HeartGold)

Why is it noob to lower accuracy? I've had better results with that than with confusion. But yeah, Fire is the best way to bring down Jasmine's Steelix.

Apart from the male Ace Trainers with femenine names in his Gym, I also met a Bug Catcher by the name "Stacey" in Viridan Forest, which made LOL, as one of my best (female) friends is also called Stacey.

Ohyeah, I remember that guy (girl?). Didn't get a photo of that one. xD It was the guy (girl?) that welcomed you after going through almost the whole forest, right? xD

I seriously wonder why all of a sudden there are traps... ._.; *fires up the trap alarm* I mean, there's one in Janine's gym in all languages, but he was supposed to be and had a guy's name. But these...

Last edited:

Ohyeah, I remember that guy (girl?). Didn't get a photo of that one. xD It was the guy (girl?) that welcomed you after going through almost the whole forest, right? xD

I seriously wonder why all of a sudden there are traps... ._.; *fires up the trap alarm* I mean, there's one in Janine's gym in all languages, but he was supposed to be and had a guy's name. But these...

Right! that's the one! I actually tried to picture him, but my camera lens was to slow and by the time it shot, the name has already dissapeared and been replaced with the "Player received $XXX" text.

You take your time. I'm in about the same place as her with 33 hours.

I know from past games, I used to just speed through using my starter as a powerhouse and having the occasional strong Pokemon to beat the gyms the starter (which is normally a fire type) can't beat. Usually my team consisted of the main Flying type for that game (like Pidgeot), an electric type, a Gyrados, etc, basic generic stuff. I use to be able to have already gotten to the Elite Four in just 30 hours.

Now...I understand what Juuchan is talking about and having 40+ hours and having only 5 badges. The Voltorb Flip takes up a lot of hours very fast if you love it and keep playing. It also looks as though she's leveling her Pokemon up at the same time. I'd imagine the egg hatching took her a while...it took me a lot of patience and biking in Goldenrod to get it hatch.

So that's how you take 40+ hours to be that far. You don't fly through it, but instead take your time through the game. I personally find it a little more enjoyable this way.

(I also find myself leaving it on while doing something else...like right now. :] )

Yep. Heck, I paid 40$ bucks for the game - I'm getting my money's worth by enjoying the crap out of it. That and I forgot a lot of Johto stuff, so it's taking me a while to remember things. And YES, Voltorb Flip... I think I played it FOUR HOURS STRAIGHT... it was frustrating but fun, like the drug that it is.

I'm just so glad to have FLY. Still, Egg hatching is a pain, but boy is it worth it in the long haul! Good to see I'm not the only one that's really enjoying this game so far... and it's only been a week.

Oh, quick update:

- My main team has at least one or two Shining Leaves now. Now all the others are either on roads I haven't gotten to or in Kanto.
- Safari Game... it is fun. Snagged a Gastly, Haunter, Wobbuffet, Quagsire and Geodude. Darn Misdreavus and Jigglypuff kept taunting me and fleeing all the time... wah.
- Still training Jenni (Espeon)... she's still under Lv.20...but at least she knows Headbutt (taught it to her pre-evo).
- Caught a Kakuna in the Bug-Catching Contest...still LOST. The heck.

Gah, I might go play Voltorb Flip some more before bed. Maybe I'll get sixth badge in the morning?

I haven't tried the Voltorb flip yet. The Pokéathlon on the other side... They could hrelease it as a separate game and I'd buy it. It's that addictive. Now that I have the 16 badges, I'm gonna spend the rest of the week playing it.

- Caught a Kakuna in the Bug-Catching Contest...still LOST. The heck.
I won with a Weedle just a bit ago. Level 18, all health in tact. I threw the ball at it as soon as it came up and caught it. Won the Sun Stone. (I wanted a water stone...but just found out I can't obtain the water stone yet). Maybe try doing it that way? The higher the level and HP left the better. My Weedle had actually beat out a Pinsir and...a...Butterfree? I think? He'll be released in the morning, already have a Weedle.

Back
Top Bottom