• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A new battle facility

Blast

☆彡
Reaction score
It's been about 7 years since a new Pokémon game featured a Battle Frontier, but since then every game has featured a replacement for at least the Battle Tower (Battle Maison, Battle Tree, Battle Subway). What's more, the second games of the past 2 Generations has added their own battle facility in some way. BW2 had the Black Tower and the White Treehollow, ORAS had the Contest Hall.

I think it's quite safe to say we will see another new battle facility introduced in USUM. While I'd love to have a modern Battle Frontier, my expectations for that aren't too high. Personally I loved the White Treehollow, which had a cool reward too. I've also heard complaints that the Battle Tree is too hard for casual players and I agree, so a facility similar to the Black Tower or the White Treehollow would be welcome addition since it can be enjoyed by hardcore Trainers and casuals alike. It'd also make for a good spot to level after the E4.
What would you like to see?

Last edited:
I'd definitely love a Battle Frontier, complete with 7 facilities with different formats. If they ever bring back Battle Factory or any rental facility variant, then I'm going to live there.

But if they're not going to do that, then I guess the Battle Tower variant is going to come back. And if its going to be the Battle Tree, I do hope they did something about the difficulty and the rubber band AI, as I mentioned before. Impossibly tough opponents, impossibly dumb partner NPCs - the Battle Tree is just ridiculous.

At the very least, if the only thing we'll have is the Battle Tree, they should bring more characters.

Battle Tree with more characters to make it closer to the PWT, yet still nowhere near that number.

A variant of Black Tower or the White Treehollow would be casual-friendly, I guess? Since I never bothered training for high levels, I never got the fuss about it, personally.

It's been about 7 years since a new Pokemon game featured a Battle Frontier, but since then every game has featured a replacement for at least the Battle Tower (Battle Maison, Battle Tree, Battle Subway). What's more, the second games of the past 2 Generations has added their own battle facility in some way. BW2 had the Black Tower and the White Treehollow, ORAS had the Contest Hall.

I think it's quite safe to say we will see another new battle facility introduced in USUM. While I'd love to have a modern Battle Frontier, my expectations for that aren't too high. Personally I loved the White Treehollow, which had a cool reward too. I've also heard complaints that the Battle Tree is too hard for casual players and I agree, so a facility similar to the Black Tower or the White Treehollow would be welcome addition since it can be enjoyed by hardcore Trainers and casuals alike. It'd also make for a good spot to level after the E4.
What would you like to see?

Not to seem rude, but I partially disagree with your list. To start with, you missed some facilities:
  • B2W2: in additon to the Black Tower and Whitetree Hollow, their was the Pokémon World Tournament (PWT) I guess the Battle Institute also counts, but that's more like a "grade my team" place than a building that allows you to gain and/or utilize BP.
  • SM (so far): Battle Royal Dome
Technically, Gen VI as a whole doesn't really have an alternative to the Battle Maison, which is just another Battle Tower variant (unless you count the Battle Institute. Also, I wouldn't really call Pokémon Contests a "battle facility" since you don't do any actually battling. It's typically viewed as its own separate side-quest thing akin to things like Pokéathlon, Musicals (which many people don't like due to just being Super Contests from DPPt without any of the interactive elements besides dressing up your Pokémon), and PokéStar Studios. I just wanted to let you know.

At the very least, if the only thing we'll have is the Battle Tree, they should bring more characters.

I think you forgot about the Battle Royal Dome. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be the alternative facility to the Battle Tree this generation. I wouldn't mind a few more facilities however, especially if it means bringing back Inverse Battles (I understand that Triple and Rotation battles might have been removes possibly due to lag issues, but you can't make the same excuse with Inverse Battles).

I think you forgot about the Battle Royal Dome. I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be the alternative facility to the Battle Tree this generation. I wouldn't mind a few more facilities however, especially if it means bringing back Inverse Battles (I understand that Triple and Rotation battles might have been removes possibly due to lag issues, but you can't make the same excuse with Inverse Battles).

No, I didn't. Unlike the Tree, getting the highest achievement in the Dome is laughably easy by comparison. All you need is a decent team and a slight manipulation of how your opponent attacks. (Hint: the lower your position in a Battle Royale,the less likely you get attacked - doesn't apply if your Pokemon is blatantly weak against an opponent's).

I liked the Battle Subway lots, but my fav is the PWT.
I like how in PWT, you save every 3 battles instead of 1.
The reason why I didn't like Battle Chateau was because I think it's really boring for every single battle to be saved.
In Battle Subway, you save every 7 battles. I think that was a bit long, but it wasn't as bad as saving every single battle.

So, I hope in USUM, we could get something similar to PWT.
I also think that battling older gen characters was an important aspect in PWT, and I would like to see this return.
It would be even better of it's characters we didn't see in PWT, like Kanto E4, Johto E4, etc.

My question is if they reintroduce a frontier or some other large area, where are they going to put it? There's not much room in Alola for substantial expansion unless GF creates a whole new island.

My question is if they reintroduce a frontier or some other large area, where are they going to put it? There's not much room in Alola for substantial expansion unless GF creates a whole new island.

It's going to be under the sea. :p

I think that's the most likely outcome. Besides, people speculated about an underwater post-game back when the full map of the Alola region was first built. It would be nice to see that finally come true!

As long as it's something fun. Frontier is fun~ The Battle Tree isn't horrible, but it seems absurdly difficult the way the AI seems to make EVERYTHING the Opponent needs to win happen every time. But we do need something since I doubt we'll get something PWT-like~

As long as it's something fun. Frontier is fun~ The Battle Tree isn't horrible, but it seems absurdly difficult the way the AI seems to make EVERYTHING the Opponent needs to win happen every time. But we do need something since I doubt we'll get something PWT-like~
Oh yes, the battle tree is so darn hard. I can’t even get the BP I need for a mega stone!

I said this in a thread the other week, but they should really use the SS Anne for something in Alola, given it's a very holiday-feeling region and especially if we get more cameos. Turning it into some form of battle facility could make sense and kill two birds with one stone.

If it lets me use the whole team I've built up instead of making me pick three and hope the OP game generated parties don't break my every defense, sure. Let's have a new facility!

Otherwise, it's just more of the same. :| Why have a post game that basically forbids you from using the party of pokemon you spent the whole game creating? It's not fun for players like me.

If it lets me use the whole team I've built up instead of making me pick three and hope the OP game generated parties don't break my every defense, sure. Let's have a new facility!

Otherwise, it's just more of the same. :| Why have a post game that basically forbids you from using the party of pokemon you spent the whole game creating? It's not fun for players like me.
Or me who uses all legendary Pokemon.

Hopefully they make the facilities a little less cut throat. For instance PWT seemed easier than the super trains because you only had to do three matches. Having some sort of checkpoint system instead of basing the whole thing on win streaks would help. Like having ten sets of ten floors and when you clear the top floor you go back to the bottom.

Maybe have you pay a small bp cost for continues.

I've had the idea of combining catching games and a battle facility together for awhile. For example having a last man standing contest in a cave and you get thirty balls and one rental Pokemon.

Oh yeeeaahh, Royal Dome! Completely forgot about that thing. It'd be nice if they'd do something with that, too. Either implement it more on the story, or raise the BP rewards. On the time it takes me to complete one Master Match, I'd already have done about 3 Battle Tree matches. On top of that, however, I'd love to have a Battle Factory-esque place, and I also really loved the Battle Hall.
Nothing that I said will be added, and the Battle Tree will be the same, but, you know... It's nice to have your hopes crushed every now and then...

Oh yeeeaahh, Royal Dome! Completely forgot about that thing. It'd be nice if they'd do something with that, too. Either implement it more on the story, or raise the BP rewards. On the time it takes me to complete one Master Match, I'd already have done about 3 Battle Tree matches. On top of that, however, I'd love to have a Battle Factory-esque place, and I also really loved the Battle Hall.
Nothing that I said will be added, and the Battle Tree will be the same, but, you know... It's nice to have your hopes crushed every now and then...
Yes yes yes! Please, its so hard to win in the BT and BRD so just raise the rewards, lower the prices, or both

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom