• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

EVERYONE: A poem about being a trans man.

lordfridge

Welcome Home, Good Hunter
Reaction score

Taken from my poetry blog, becketth @ tumblr.

I wrote this after a particularly bad day at work, where I'd had to deal with a case of direct discrimination. It probably won't resonate with every trans guy out there, but I was mostly just venting at the time.

Poems like these need to exist.

I'm a cis man. I could explain how your poem made me feel, but I don't think that matters. As you say, I can't stop you from living your life the way you choose. All I can do is listen to as many non-cis sources as possible.

I don't know much about you, but you're clearly someone with a unique perspective. The way you interact with the world (or rather, the way the world interacts with you) is interesting, valuable, eye-opening. Forgive the pun, but you have a lot of balls putting such a personal topic into a poem, let alone your Writer's Workshop introduction. From my outsider's perspective, I have nothing but respect.

I don't think your poem fully explains what it's like to be a trans man. But I don't think anything can, short of...well, being a trans man. As you say, I'll never see the one within, but I can at least listen to your voice.

Thank you for sharing this. I can't personally resonate with your poem, but it felt like required reading regardless. And the very fact you're speaking up from a unique, proud perspective means you deserve to be listened to. Please, if you plan on hanging around, I'd like to read more.

Poems like these need to exist.

I'm a cis man. I could explain how your poem made me feel, but I don't think that matters. As you say, I can't stop you from living your life the way you choose. All I can do is listen to as many non-cis sources as possible.

I don't know much about you, but you're clearly someone with a unique perspective. The way you interact with the world (or rather, the way the world interacts with you) is interesting, valuable, eye-opening. Forgive the pun, but you have a lot of balls putting such a personal topic into a poem, let alone your Writer's Workshop introduction. From my outsider's perspective, I have nothing but respect.

I don't think your poem fully explains what it's like to be a trans man. But I don't think anything can, short of...well, being a trans man. As you say, I'll never see the one within, but I can at least listen to your voice.

Thank you for sharing this. I can't personally resonate with your poem, but it felt like required reading regardless. And the very fact you're speaking up from a unique, proud perspective means you deserve to be listened to. Please, if you plan on hanging around, I'd like to read more.

Thank you so much for this. It's so encouraging when someone takes the time to create such a thoughtful response. :)

Wow. I'm no expert on poetry, but I have to say, this was really good. I do like the reference to one of the Greek/Roman Gods (Mars) here in regards to your gender, as Mars (or Ares as he's referred to in the Greek myths) is a pretty common symbol of masculinity. I'm sure it took courage to write this, and I'm glad you did. You clearly have talent as a poet, and it's clear you put your soul into this.

Wow. I'm no expert on poetry, but I have to say, this was really good. I do like the reference to one of the Greek/Roman Gods (Mars) here in regards to your gender, as Mars (or Ares as he's referred to in the Greek myths) is a pretty common symbol of masculinity. I'm sure it took courage to write this, and I'm glad you did. You clearly have talent as a poet, and it's clear you put your soul into this.

Thank you so much; your comment means a lot.

Hi,

Trans girl here. Not much of a poet so I can't really comment on this much beyond Iliked it. Agree that this sort of thing needs to exist, though. Also, "You can't stop me" as the final line is the sort of queer power I can get behind.

One tiny thing, though: I think "Who are you to question him?" flows better than "question it" for the last line of the penultimate stanza. Might be wrong. Again, not a poet.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom