• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A Theory: The Starters and Dog are the Keys to the Four Guardians

I also don't feel Tapu Koko is related to the starters/dog. Sure it could be, but I just didn't feel like that was the case based on the dialogue. I think it might be a legendary/mythical Pokemon that the player encountered on the day they moved to Alola. Kind of like how you unexpectedly meet the legendary dogs in the Johto games.

It's an interesting theory, but I don't think it would make much sense to meet one of the deities that aren't Tapu Koko and then immediately go to a festival celebrating Tapu Koko. It seems like a little too much in such a short timeframe and I think it's more likely that they'd have it restricted to just talking about one deity.

It also raises the question of if your rival gets/captures one of the deities - is the only other way we're able to get them through trade, then? How are we supposed to get the others, also?

Again, like the theory but not sure how well it works out given what we've seen.

Just your regular reminder that Four is Death in Chinese :p

No, I believe the secret that ties these 4 together has to do with that odd bracelet and the diamonds on the logos. Tapu Koko appears to us because we're a JRPG protagonist, not because we have a starter pokemon.

Iwanko is not a starter though therefore the connection between the four must lie elsewhere.

No, a legendary is still far more likely to be an island guardian than any starter choice or a regional animal that is simply this generation's Lillipup. The "secret" shared between them could literally be anything, but I wouldn't bank on it being related to a role that sounds specific to legends. It could be a new game mechanic for all we know.

Also, Coro Coro is known for giving out specific details like this, (Zorua's evolution) and people often get hyped up and getting disappointed later. I'd keep expectations/speculations realistic, especially since no starter mons ever had an expanded story related lore.

I see your point but I prefer the theory about Iwanko being a Eevee-like, becoming a Fire / Water/ Grass types through some kind of alchemical mechanic.

The secret that they say the starters and Iwanko have might have something to due with mega evolution rather than connection to the four guardians. Although new gen pokemon haven't gain mega evolution due to being new but Game Freak might surprise this time with these starters.

I rather think this starters will get magas in this generation with the Iwanko included to make it good for gen VI.
This makes sense. + we dont know what starters from past generations will get their forms.
(if every generation starters have 2 forms like Charizard did, then they can give us in this generation their first forms and in future there secondary megas)
This would make sense.

I would have to side with the idea of them having mega evos or this new mechanic people are suggesting. I like the idea behind your theory and it could be possible, hell anything is with Pokémon.

What if Tapu Koko becomes associated with the starter you choose? You theorize that Popplio is connected to Tapu Koko, so if you choose Rowlet or Litten they become associated with Tapu Koko instead of you meeting a different island guardian.

It feels a bit far-fetched to me. I really don't see how the starters and an early game dog would have some connection to the four guardians. I think it's just too early for such speculation when we only have 11 new Pokémon revealed, three of whom are legendary/mythical.

While it might be plausible that some of Generation VII's new Pokémon are linked to the guardians, I very much doubt that it'll be any of the 8 non-legendaries that we currently have names for. This would be like saying that Gogoat and Noivern are connected to Xerneas and Yveltal.

I don't think starters and the dog will be directly related to the guardians. I mean, why would they link legendaries to any pokemon you can just toss in your PC and never use? I know most people use their starters, but my girlfriend usually boxes her starter the moment she gets a pokemon she'd rather use. There are probably others who do this as well.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom