• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

I didn't know that water supereffectived rock types when I first started Silver
So there I was, entering the cave and a random guy challenges me into a battle, I kept using the normal type attack my totodile had, eventually I lost to the geodude.
I was traumatized by this and didn't enter the cave since then, I trained my totodile in the grass just above the cave, trained it for so freaking long it actually evolved into a Feraligator. I re-entered the cave and lived happily ever after...

Um... oh yeah, when I played my friend's red version I figured that if I kept trying to beat Brock with an underleveled charmander, he'd feel sorry for me after a while and let me win. I WAS only six, though.

Okay, well, the first pokemon game I got was Ruby, when I was 8 years old. Back then I could only speak Italian and the game was in English (which reminds me, how did grandma obtain an English game in Italy?). Anyhow, when I beat the Normal-type Gym, Norman does that 'Hey, the neighbours are calling you.' routine, and I didn't understand a word he said.

I figured it out after I resetted the game when I learned English, but not before getting my Blaziken up to level 100.

XD

"Oh, sure, I can save in the Mystery Zone. I have the AR in my DS, I'll find my way out eventually."
I lost my +200-hour file because the tiles disappeared. Yes.

A much younger me, playing silver: "how the heck do i move this stupid tree?!" (this was before i knew about looking pokemon things up online) almost a month before i met someone who knew. even then it took me an hour to find the stupid flower shop.

A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess). I had absolutely no idea how to get out at all. I thought the exit was just a dead end and when I finally pressed against it, I was shocked. Happy, but shocked.

I never had a problem at the Viridea Forest because the booklet that came with the game included a MAP of Viridean Forest. I did, however, had troube getting though the caves like Mt. Moon or Rock Tunnel.

I used to think Mismagius evolved into Darkrai.

Last edited:
I couldn't figure out how to move the boulders in red and blue for about a week.

Um... oh yeah, when I played my friend's red version I figured that if I kept trying to beat Brock with an underleveled charmander, he'd feel sorry for me after a while and let me win. I WAS only six, though.

Oh wow, that's really cute :ksmile:

Brock shuns you with his stone cold indifference.

Yeah I'm slow in my Diamond game (I'm on the third run through and at the Elite Four), I figured out that there are 3 small variations in the pokemon's cry when it's sent out to battle:
51%-100% HP- Normal Cry
Under 51% or Status Problem- "Hurt" Cry
0% (Aka Fainted)- Fainted Cry

Also found out that when a pokemon is sent out in Diamond/Pearl, the animation for your pokemon will reveal it's speed in broad categories (Hyper, Normal, Super Slow) D=

mine was during my first run through of blue. I was 11 and got stuck in cerulean city. You see I was trying to figure out how to get to the upper half of the city, but there was that ledge blocking it off. I looked and looked for about two weeks trying to figure out what I was missing on how to go north. I even went as far as to call the nintendo help hotline to try to figure it out. lols. I still remember how stupid I felt when I finally found the gap that lets you go by the ledge.

The Sudowoodo tree in Crystal ticked me off so much I got angry and gave my copy of Crystal to my cousin. D| This was before I remembered that GameFAQs actually did exist.

Edit: 42 POSTS OMG EPIC WIN

I used all my Poké Balls trying to capture the Ghost Marowak in Yellow. Yeah, not as bad as some of the things on here, but it's still funny on hindsight. Kinda.

I didn't know how to put Pokemon away in a box.

Once in Yellow I put my Pikachu away and then I cried 'cause I thought I'd never get it back again. x____x

I was six. lol

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom