• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

AG166, AG167 Titles Revealed

Uh, it's pretty obvious that Brock entering a Contest is a one-time thing. He's doing it to impress the (female) Breeder, not for the ribbon.

They're not going to have Brock upstage May's role in the anime.

We have a male hero (Ash) and a female hero (May), Brock taking over May's role has a 0.99999% chance of happening.

Brock is and will always be a sidekick, not a major character.

These "May is leaving conspiracy theories" are all laughable at best. Especially thinking Brock is going to steal her role away from her. LOL.

Scott85 said:
Uh, it's pretty obvious that Brock entering a Contest is a one-time thing. He's doing it to impress the (female) Breeder, not for the ribbon.

They're not going to have Brock upstage May's role in the anime.

We have a male hero (Ash) and a female hero (May), Brock taking over May's role has a 0.99999% chance of happening.

Brock is and will always be a sidekick, not a major character.

These "May is leaving conspiracy theories" are all laughable at best. Especially thinking Brock is going to steal her role away from her. LOL.

So it's almost but not quite 1%? I would think you'd want 1 - 0.99999, or 0.00001, if you were going to effectively illustrate a very unlikely possibility.

And seriously, why is it that you always base the likeliness of something happening on how much you want it to happen?

You say there's a pretty good chance Brock will leave because, despite being popular enough that he's been around since the beginning and survived a whole season which they entered with the intent of ditching him for good, and has encountered this situation before without it altering his character in the slightest - Wilhemina, anyone? - and there being no signs of it coming back again in any way...

And yet with people changing roles all the time and dropping in and out of the supporting cast and no one but you thinking the anime will collapse upon itself if May was removed, and this being perfectly in-character for Brock and give him a larger role which many people think he needs, you don't think there's any remote possibility that he might like doing contests and start picking them up, or some similar feature which could arise in Diamond and Pearl, letting May retire to the Hosos like many other beloved characters?

You know, accepting that it's possible isn't the same as thinking it will happen. We won't count it as a crisis of faith if you admit that maybe with the ending of her generation, May's time as the "co-star" could be ending as well.

So all of a sudden because Brock enters a single contest people believe May is being replaced by him? WTF kind of logic is that?

And I'm being serious here, because this is absolutely mind boggling. Tell me, why do people here on Bulbagarden constantly try to pretend May isn't an important character? I know Archaic does it because he's a die-hard Pokeshipper, and he knows Misty probably won't come back unless May leaves, but why does everyone else do it?

May is a major character going by canon. She has an entire story arc devoted to her. She stars in entire episodes just to give her character development. Not only that, she has a large chunk of filler episodes devoted to her as well. And of course, she's the only other character in the series who shares constant spotlight with Ash, sometimes even pushing Ash into the backround for multiple episodes. She has her own story, her own rivals, and her own goal. The writers literally shove her down our throats every other episode.

So after all of this, May is not important? Bwuh? I mean there's a difference between liking a character and being in denial about their role in the show. Brock is a sidekick, there's nothing wrong with that, but that's his role. Ash is the male hero of the show, and May is meant to be the "female Ash" and the heroine for girls. Why is this stuff debated? Anyone who knows how to write would be rolling their eyes if this kind of stuff is asked.

Brock leaving is possible, because not only have they done it once before, but because the writers *have* to realize by now, after 167 episodes of AG, plus most of Johto, that they push him into the backround. The writers are writing the series, they *have* to know they've been neglecting Brock. Sure, he may stick around for the D/P region, but at least there's a tiny bit of evidence to support he may be dropped at some point.

For May, there's literally nothing. The excuses I heard range from "She's an R/S character so she will be gone in the D/P region" which is laughable at best, as Ash is still here and he's an RBY character.

I can understand if people don't like May, but all these "reasons" for her to leave are not only absolutely ridiculous, but there's nothing in canon supporting it. You really think the writers are going to render 50% of AG absolutely pointless and gut a major female character that they devoted half the show too?

Oh well, Archaic was put in his place after Hoenn ended as May remained on the cast and Misty back at the Gym. He'll be put in his place again after Kanto ends, and I'll remember to gloat about it.

Like I said before, it's amazing how almost an entire forum can be absolutely bias against a single character, while at SPP, nearly everyone agrees that she's a major character and co-stars the series with Ash.

I just don't understand it.

I wouldn't base your arguments off of "A lot of people at SPP agree with me!" Just saying.

I was mostly just saying if you can make up your own groundless reasons that the writers will take something a step further and assume what they want to come up with a "valid" argument that they could kick Brock off the show, there's no reason the same can't be done for May.

Especially since the only way May will ever take priority is if she has her own spin-off. After all, if she's so vital to the series, why does she have a spot in intros and endings about on the same level as Brock? That alone is very telling that when all is said and done this is Ash's show, and therefore the show could go on without May.

But I don't really know why I try and point this out to you anyway, since you don't really seem to like listening to anyone's points or basing what you say off of anything but your own opinions.

If May ever leaves the anime, remind me to rub it in your face.

on this topic I gotta agree with cybercubed. Sorry Pie but, Brock is more suspectible to leaving the show. Brock has been around from the beggining. In Johto I was thinking that if anyone was to leave it would've been Brock. Misty seemed more important and Brock had lost his luster. I was a little disappointed that Brock returned but, misty was left behind. Mainly though because I'm a misty fan as well. The writers have neglected Brock to death. His character has remained the same since the beggining he has gone through somethings but, May went through a lot more in the first half of Hoenn than Brock has the entire show.
Like I said before, it's amazing how almost an entire forum can be absolutely bias against a single character, while at SPP, nearly everyone agrees that she's a major character and co-stars the series with Ash
. Well SPP is annoyingly biased against Misty, May's Squirtle, and many others. Even Geodude had a rant about it and SPP attacked him constantly making crazy claims that he was forcing his opinion on the matter because he is a mod. Although he did no such thing he just ranted like many people do over there but, thats a different story.

Dogasu said:
"The Skyscraper's Red Inazuma!"
I had a lot of trouble translating this one, so I apologize in advance if any of this is incorrect.

INAZUMA いなずま稲妻
in Japanese it means '(a flash of) lightning'. it's a very formal word.

so 赤いイナズマ basically means Red Lightning
and i think flash is also acceptable here. lol

Pie said:
Especially since the only way May will ever take priority is if she has her own spin-off.

That's why she isn't taking priority. Ash is still the more important character, and May co-stars beside him. Is it so hard to believe that the writers want a major male and female character for the demographic?

After all, if she's so vital to the series, why does she have a spot in intros and endings about on the same level as Brock? That alone is very telling that when all is said and done this is Ash's show, and therefore the show could go on without May.

So in other words, you're looking at May's appearances in the intros to back up your claim? Sorry, but you have to look at the episodes like I said on the previous page. May and her story arc represent nearly 50% in AG. She's in constant spotlight, with episodes devoted to her (which are not even Contests mind you) quite often.

Saying that May doesn't have a major role in AG isn't an opinion, it's just lying.

But I don't really know why I try and point this out to you anyway, since you don't really seem to like listening to anyone's points or basing what you say off of anything but your own opinions.

So because people make up groundless theories out of nowhere about May leaving I should agree with them? There's no proof or reason for her to leave, which is why the anti-May fans get frustrated, because they can't form a decent argument against her that doesn't sound absolutely bias or ridiculous.

Whether Brock stays or leaves is debatable, since being a sidekick, he can be dropped easily. All they need to do is bring Lucy back, and *poof* Brock is gone. It's really 50/50 for Brock at this rate, if he's in the D/P saga I'm OK with it, if he isn't, I'm not going to cry over it.

If May ever leaves the anime, remind me to rub it in your face.

Not to sound rude, but you'll be waiting a long time (if ever) for that to happen. The writers can get rid of the sidekicks, they're not going to get rid of starring characters. It's the same reason Ash is never replaced by the new male heroes from the next gen games.

Let me say this again, in simpler terms.

I don't think May is leaving. However, I think that's there a similar amount of base to that claim - if not more - than there is to the one that you throw around about Brock leaving because of Lucy. And the fact that you weigh them so differently shows your own bias. And for one who bemoans BMG's supposed bias so often, that's downright shameful.

May does have a major role in AG, and certainly more than any other secondary character has had. But at the end of the day? No, she's not on Ash's level. She can be swept back off to Hoso Land just like Misty was, and the series will survive. And that could happen with the changing of generations, slim or great the possibility. Right now, what will happen is anyone's guess, and there is no clear indication of who will go or who will stay.

And the fact that you keep denying that possibility while championing the idea of Brock being removed makes me want to see it happen - until now, if you paid any attention to what I was really saying, you might have noticed I never once expressed a desire to see her leave, just for her to stop taking up so much attention with her seconday plot and most of the character-centric episodes being devoted to her, which were formally where truly background characters got most of their best moments in the sun.

Pie said:
May does have a major role in AG, and certainly more than any other secondary character has had. But at the end of the day? No, she's not on Ash's level. She can be swept back off to Hoso Land just like Misty was, and the series will survive. And that could happen with the changing of generations, slim or great the possibility. Right now, what will happen is anyone's guess, and there is no clear indication of who will go or who will stay.
*Gives the Highest Hi-5 Possible... A Hi-6!!!*

Well to get back to the original point of this argument, it wasn't about whether I want May to stay or Brock to leave.

It was about Archaic making the ridiculous claim that the writers will have Brock steal May's story arc away from her thus forcing her off the series.

What will happen in this episode? As in, a reasonable guess instead of this, "Brock will replace May and become the new coordinator," which holds absolutely no grounds? Here's my guess:

Brock isn't entering for the ribbon, he's entering to win the love of a woman as usual. He wants to impress the breeder girl by being in a Contest battle, since she makes some compliment (?) about his Bonsly.

But since it's inevitable that May will win as Brock will do nothing with a ribbon, the breeder lady will scoff and walk off after his loss, and Brock will be miserable once again, because the writers love doing that to him. After this Brock will cry over the breeder girl leaving him, and he'll never enter another Contest again.

THAT sounds a hell of a lot more reasonable then, "Brock will start entering every contest from now on and he'll steal May's story away from her and she'll be kicked off the show because of it."

There's a difference between being reasonable and making ridiculous claims that sound like they came out of someones poorly written fanfiction. My theory makes sense, Archaic's doesn't.

I agree with Pie. We have no clue what they will be doing for the next region.

Though I think a team of Ash,May,and Max would be rather boring because that's pretty much the current team minus Brock.

Though, May vs Brock should be really cool to see and watch.

You're still passing reasonable versus ridiculous as what fits your view and what doesn't, but if you haven't caught my drift on that already, I don't see why you will now.

Brock can get rejected on other grounds than because he didn't win the contest, you know. And he bounces back from heartbreak easier than that in almost all cases - did missing his chance with Suzie make him stop wanting to be a breeder? Did Zubat's evolving into Golbat and ruining his chances with that Zubat-owning doctor make him want to abandon Golbat? Why would not impressing a girl make him flee from contests altogether, particularly since he was doing breeder contests before the word coordinator had any meaning?

Besides, you realize that May can lose more than once per season, and doing such would mean yet more contest episodes for May. I would think that alone would make you a bit more open minded about Brock potentially beating May. =P

But the fact is Brock isn't really interested in Contests, or else he would have entered them himself ages ago. Obviously if a pretty girl asks him if he's entering the Contests, or compliments his Bonsly, or something, Brock will do everything in his power to please her.

Whether Brock wins or not is up in the air of course, that is anyones guess. I'm just guessing May will win because A) The BF arc is being sped along and May still has 2 more ribbons to go B) Brock will do nothing with a single ribbon C) His loss will somehow get the breeder girl to reject him.

The ONLY thing I was originally debating about is about the writers actually taking May's spotlight away from her by having another character do Contests. Brock doing a single contest is one thing, him constantly doing contests is another.

There's a reason why in Hoenn they had May do Contests instead of Gyms. Two characters doing the same thing is repetitive and pointless.

Brock entering a contest is an excellent idea, I said right on the first page, I'm thrilled that they're doing this. I said that I was afraid the writers would forget about Brock and confine him to the backround for the rest of the BF arc.

But where people are getting the idea that Brock, a sidekick, will start kicking May off to the side and steal her quest is beyond me.

But one thing I know for sure, Brock is bound to be heartbroken by the end of the episode. :p

Scott85 said:
But one thing I know for sure, Brock is bound to be heartbroken by the end of the episode. :p

Suzie, first time 'round. Wilhemina. Lucy.

I expect as much as well, but really, with the Pokémon anime, nothing is a given.

Scott85 said:
I'm just guessing...
And Guessing is all I recommend you do from now on, my friend! No more lofty assumptions, no exuberant conclusions... Just simple conjecture. Nothing is obvious or predictable in the world of Pokemon till it has happened! ...Till it has happened, so that we may reflect and place patterns on that which has already occured!

Dogasu said:
"The Skyscraper's Red Inazuma!"
I had a lot of trouble translating this one, so I apologize in advance if any of this is incorrect.

While going through Komoda City, Satoshi and his friends hear about "The Red Inazuma," a person who wears a cloak and is said to perform pokemon techniques himself. Even though he can use pokemon attacks and speak human language, "The Red Inazuma" seems to be frightened of being around people.

OMFG.

Please for the love of God,please let this be Mewtwo.Dammit,I know there's probably very little chance of it being Mewtwo and I don't want to get my hopes up,but damn... I REALLY hope it's Mewtwo.If anything,it's about time he shows off that new cloak/cowl/cape (whatever) of his.This "Red Inazuma" thing really isn't indicative that it's Mewtwo either.Why would he be known as the Red Inazuma? He did have red eyes in PSM,but that's a stretch.

Meh,it's likely that it is going to be just some a-hole fooling people. >=/ Similar to that one guy and his uber Pelipper.

EDIT:

Oh yeah,forgot about the the Brock vs. May episode.

Don't care,don't give a sh*t. =D

The only reason the writers have Brock is doing this is because of Bonsly. I personally hope we get to see Brock's first battle so that we do get to see him win one contest battle.

As Jo-Jo told you last week on SPP, Scott, no one here hates May. Archaic just said it could add weight to the theory of her depature if this continues, but I suspect that most of us don't believe that Brock will be doing contests in the future. There's no need to keep going on about it.

Ben's Thoughts

Wow! How off-topic can you get? How did this thread turn into a debate about the relative merits of Brock and May and which of them is more likely to be canned some time soon? :p

AG166 (EP442): 摩天楼の赤いイナズマ!Red Flash of the Skyscraper!

The consensus on this one seems to be "Lightning on the Skyscraper!" A vague idea jumps into my head about a episode version of the Battle of the Slyph Corporation Tower. However, such a story it isn't likely to be a one-episode filler.

The mention of a man in a cloak fascinates me. I think that it is good money that, if it is right, Mewtwo will be making one of his infrequent appearances.

AG167 (EP443): 大一番!ハルカVSタケシ!!Decisive Game! Haruka VS Takeshi!!

Hmm...

Remember that Brock participated in a proto-contest in Johto (the episode when Vulpix returned to Suzie), so he is hardly a neophyte in these matters. A contest ending with with Brock & Bonsley in a head-to-head with May and Eevee could be an interesting 'battle of the generations' thing. However, I don't think that it in any way forshadows future changes to the cast. At the very most, it might mean that Brock occasionally enters contests too.

Hmmm now I'm wondering... the 3rd generation games introduced the double battles, maybe Diamond and Pearl will have contests where a trainer teams up with another to win? If that's so, it could be possible to see Brock and May making a coordinator duo. That would be interesting to say the least.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom