• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation An NFC Pokemon game?

SammyW27

Reaction score
So, it seems that Nintendo is eyeing NFC (Near Field Communication) technology for its games in the near future

Nintendo Shows Off NFC Mario Figurine for Wii U, 3DS - IGN

Nintendo France Rep Says Smash Wii U Will Use NFC - IGN

I bring this up because I can TOTALLY see them making an NFC Pokémon game sooner or later.

I realize this is early, but am still highly curious and thought it's never too early to ask. (And E3 isn't too far away)

To be brutally honest, I dislike NFC, or at least what I've seen of it with Skylanders and Disney Infinity. It seems like a fad that combines video games and toys to once again bilk parents and fans alike. I know I don't want it involved in Pokémon (and really don't want it in my Smash Bros :mad:). Heck, I think it would be a lot more practical to just to use it as a way to make some kind connectivity between the Wii U and 3DS (which we were originally told would happen at some point)...

What are your thoughts. Do you think this means we'll see a Pokémon game with NFC someday :confused: And how could it turn out or what would you like to see :confused:

Last edited:
Pokémon would be a perfect fit. Although, I question why Nintendo is late to this party.

Well, technically the first Wii U game to use NFC technology was a Pokémon game--Pokémon Rumble U. And seeing how that was pretty much a failure even by Wii U standards, I don't see TPC(i) doing another NFC-related game anytime soon.

Besides, what other Pokémon series could work? I definitely don't think we'd see something like it in a main series game (it's pretty much Wi-Fi/SpotPass stuff now). I'm not sure how it would fit thematically with the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon series (although there is DLC now for PMD, so I guess they could just make it "physical" DLC). Definitely doesn't make sense for the Trozei series. And the Ranger series seems to be more or less done by this point. The Rumble series is probably the best Pokémon series to use NFC technology, and that didn't really work out.

Well, technically the first Wii U game to use NFC technology was a Pokémon game--Pokémon Rumble U. And seeing how that was pretty much a failure even by Wii U standards, I don't see TPC(i) doing another NFC-related game anytime soon.

Huh. Didn't even know about that!

I don't know if NFC would work with many Pokemon games, the entire point is to carry over data between games and the entire premise behind Pokemon is to train up your Pokemon to be strong. So if not that, then what could they carry over that would affect the gameplay?

As long as they don't put those NFC shenanigans in the mainline games, fine for me. A spin-off Pokémon game based around those figurines wouldn't be any worse than 90% of the other spin-offs the series got over the past 17 years. Man... when you think DLC is bad, they find a way to make something even worse.

You'd think selling figurines to be used in a video game would work with Pokémon. It's like living vicariously as a Trainer, perhaps. Who cares if Pokémon Rumble U was a flop? Nintendo can just go back to the drawing board, and think of something else. How about a Platforming game?

Bumping with E3 upon us. I have this funny feeling we'll learn (a lot?) more about Ninty's plans for NFC there...

Heck, seems like the perfect time & place to reveal NFC Pokémon products!

If I can play as Lysandre I want it. Or Link, gotta love Link.
If not it's not for me.

It sounds as if they will be selling toys which transfers Pokemon into your game, if I get it right. I used to collect small collectible Pokemon toys you got in monster balls along with some sweets. You could also buy the toys separately at special places, like where they had the Pokemon League (TCG). I haven't seen them being sold any more and I wonder if enough copies of the NFC toys will be sold. Of course, they would be good for the game, and XY have gotten popular, so people would buy the toys and they would be available, at least for a while. They can also be reused by people, so it is not like certain Pokemon, only available through the toys, will die out. That way, it is better than DLC. Yes, I prefer physical stuff over DLC. It's likely to be more expensive, where Pokemon DLC is for free, but you can share them with your friends or sell them. If you don't find them in a shop, you can go to E-Bay. You can't do that with DLC. While the NFC toys seems like a less efficient solution than DLC, it doesn't have to be that. Then, GF can release both DLC and sell the toys if they want.

Well, now that we have Amiibo figurines, the chances of this happening just went up big time (or so it seems to me) :-/

I still can't really think of ways to make amiibo figures work in the Pokémon franchise, or at least the main game series.

Like... I don't see why we would use amiibo figures to transfer Pokémon when we have Pokémon Bank. Would they really start charging for event Pokémon when we've been using free SpotPass/Wi-Fi for quite a while? I guess they could take the Smash route and allow you to temporarily use a strong Pokémon in a difficult battle, but... eh. And... what else?

It makes sense for a few Pokémon amiibo figure to be available for Smash reasons, but outside of those characters I'm just not sure how the amiibo platform could be seamlessly integrated into a main Pokémon game.

Ice Ricky said:
Like... I don't see why we would use amiibo figures to transfer Pokémon when we have Pokémon Bank. Would they really start charging for event Pokémon when we've been using free SpotPass/Wi-Fi for quite a while? I guess they could take the Smash route and allow you to temporarily use a strong Pokémon in a difficult battle, but... eh. And... what else?

It makes sense for a few Pokémon amiibo figure to be available for Smash reasons, but outside of those characters I'm just not sure how the amiibo platform could be seamlessly integrated into a main Pokémon game.

Imagine if Nintendo would sell event Pokémon like Deoxys or Celebi this way, personally it sounds good because if fans like this special Pokémon they will buy them at stores but it could mean you can buy more than one Mew/whatever rare Pokémon which to me sounds like a bonus.

Imagine if Nintendo would sell event Pokémon like Deoxys or Celebi this way, personally it sounds good because if fans like this special Pokémon they will buy them at stores but it could mean you can buy more than one Mew/whatever rare Pokémon which to me sounds like a bonus.

Most if not all DLC can only be downloaded once to a file, so you wouldn't be able to get more than one copy of the same event Pokémon on one file unless you do a trade. Essentially it would be just like how it always was, except that you're getting the event Pokémon through an amiibo and not from like Gamestop or something.

And I can see fans of a particular Pokémon enjoying buying that Pokémon's amiibo figurine, but I still don't know. I think too many Pokémon players would be angry about having to pay for event Pokémon (especially Pokédex completionists) after getting event Pokémon for free through Wi-Fi for so long. So would that mean that they would have an Wi-Fi option and an amiibo option? But that seems weird...

Ice Ricky said:
Most if not all DLC can only be downloaded once to a file, so you wouldn't be able to get more than one copy of the same event Pokémon on one file unless you do a trade. Essentially it would be just like how it always was, except that you're getting the event Pokémon through an amiibo and not from like Gamestop or something.

And I can see fans of a particular Pokémon enjoying buying that Pokémon's amiibo figurine, but I still don't know. I think too many Pokémon players would be angry about having to pay for event Pokémon (especially Pokédex completionists) after getting event Pokémon for free through Wi-Fi for so long. So would that mean that they would have an Wi-Fi option and an amiibo option? But that seems weird...

I forgot about that part since it's been a long time I had an Event Pokémon.

Maybe it will divide the fanbase but it's a big maybe as it isn't known at this moment if there will be any Pokémon Amiibo figurines except playable Pokémon in the new Super Smash Bros. which will likely appear but on second thought (on the part of NFC Pokémon figures not on the Pokémon that will appear in Super Smash Bros.) I don't think so since there are already Pokémon toys and there's already companies with a license from Nintendo to produce toys based on the franchise.

If it's okay, I think I'm gonna bump because of Pokken Tournment, which might go there.

Last edited:
I don't really like the idea. I've kind of been on edge about this ever since they announced Amiibo. It sounds like paying up $15 to get an event legend to me, and I don't really want Pokemon jumping on the Skylanders bandwagon. Just feels like a cheap money-grabbing ploy at this point... the first Skylanders game had the originality behind the idea going for it, but that's all there was to it. Have you seen the sequels? They do very little besides bring a couple new characters and mechanics to the game... everything else is just half-a**ed. I'd really hate to see Pokemon start down that dark path.

Come to think of it, no, I'd hate it if they were integrated into the main series. I prefer catching/obtaining Pokemon for FREE, thank you very much! Pay $40 or so, and have full access to everything the game has to offer, no hidden or extra fees. Also, buying the things to get events sounds kind of broken. Just cough up your life savings to get a horde of Deoxys or Keldeo, is that it?

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom