• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

An odd line from "A Double Dilemma"

Trainer Lisa

LOVED IchibanCon
Reaction score
I've always wondered....

What exactly did that guy mean when he yelled out: "Who the Pokemon are you!?"

I keep thinking the 4Kids writers may have decided to use the word Pokemon, in place of a bad word/cuss word, such as Hell. I wonder if that's really the case. O.O

Last edited:
Haha! I just rewatched that episode recently (in order to compare it to Pokemopolis's latest batch of summaries ;P ) and have been thinking about that line a lot. It's hilarious! Really, it's like a parody of all the Pokéwords stuff (see: Pokémonic).

That and it sounds funny. "WHO THE POKEMON ARE YOU?!" I'm so going to replace the word "heck" with "Pokémon" offline sometime in the near future.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Lil Brother!! ^^

And yes! I LOVE those Pokemon (add a suffix) words that they use in the dub!

I figure that's probably the reasoning 4Kids used to create that word (or definition rather, lol).

Hehe. Yeah, it's strange, but I seem to have a really good memory for remembering funny lines from the 4Kids dub. XD

Of course, it's not strange when you consider that I saw Pokemon every time it was on TV (I'm a rerun fanatic when it comes to the 4Kids dub). XD

Last edited:
Like Battlestar Galactica's use of the word "frak" to get get past censors? :D

I keep thinking the 4Kids writers may have decided to use the word Pokemon, in place of a bad word/cuss word, such as Hell. I wonder if that's really the case. O.O

I think they should do it more often..although it reminds me of the smurfs in some ways...^^;

I still don´t get why you can´t say "hell" on TV in children´s programms in the USA. It s NO problem to say it in Germany for example.

IMO, the new Turtles cartoon has it made when it comes to sneaking swearing past the censors.

Shell indeed. :p

I think in Getting Twiggy with it that lady said "Who in the name of Pokemon are you!"

If only we had Arceus revealed, they could use that.

yes, arceus is a good replacement word. if only they had kept houndoom's japanese name, Hellgar.

"Who the Hellgar are you?"

"What in the name of Arceus are you doing in my hat?"

I think they should do it more often..although it reminds me of the smurfs in some ways...^^;

I still don´t get why you can´t say "hell" on TV in children´s programms in the USA. It s NO problem to say it in Germany for example.

ahh, I've heard "hell" on Disney Channel before and this was one of their original shows. Nickelodeon and Disney both are starting to get more mature in their themes I've noticed. Well, maybe not their themes, but definitely their writing.

ahh, I've heard "hell" on Disney Channel before and this was one of their original shows. Nickelodeon and Disney both are starting to get more mature in their themes I've noticed. Well, maybe not their themes, but definitely their writing.

My brother said that one of Disney's shows used the term ass.

Hey Arnold got away with "Crap" a number of times.

Which one is this episode? Is the ep where Team Rocket dresses up as May's family?

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom