• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

It seem that to the writers they are.

Sobble did next to nothing to deserve the evolution, and now as Drizille it literally mops around all day and has not appeared since it evolved.
Let's face it. It only evolved just so they could replace it with Grookey as Goh's shouldermon.
I think The writers have made it pretty clear that they didn't care for Sobble
Grookey is just a cute marketable plot device that didn't/doesn't do anything ever since it was captured.
How long has it been here? It still hasn't used a single goddamed move yet? What the hell?
And this all without counting that Sobble's capture was one of the biggest BS of the entire anime and that Grookey's was also contrived and controversial as hell.
Sobble's capture was fine. The Marketing leading around said capture was certainly NOT fine.

Grookey's appeared in Goh's Arms out of nowhere and fucked up Team Rocket's characters as a result.
They've never been particularly cruel towards their Pokemon but here they threatened to put Grookey in obedience school?
That just leaves a horrible taste in my mouth

Sobble's capture was fine. The Marketing leading around said capture was certainly NOT fine.
I agree with the second statement. It was awful. Because c'mon, going as far as using Ash's voice over a Sobble clip just to trick people into thinking he would capture it, adding with the multiple articles and promotional images showing them together only to pull the rug on the entire fandom was just foul.

But tbh, Sobble's capture was probably one of the biggest bs the anime has ever pulled. Like, Goh just throws a ball blindly at nothing since Sobble was invisible and he just happens to hit the mark (that he didn't even knew was there in the first place, may I add) and he captures it immediatly was wack.

It bugs me that we have yet to see either Sobble/Drizzile or Grookey participate in an authentic Pokémon battle. As in they are called in, exchange moves with their opponents, and someone decisively faints. The treatment of the Galarian Starters as a whole has been ridiculous (mostly, anyway; I did like the moment Go shared with Drizzile on the roof); they are not simply shoulder pets :confused:.
I can’t help but find it especially egregious considering that Galar as a region is the most competitive yet and yet, as a result of giving them all to the protagonist that isn’t a battler and shafting Galar, we haven’t gotten any good showing of the Galar starters. Scorbunny’s line got to do a bit but Sobble and Grookey have basically been glorified props.

Grookey's appeared in Goh's Arms out of nowhere and fucked up Team Rocket's characters as a result.
They've never been particularly cruel towards their Pokemon but here they threatened to put Grookey in obedience school?
That just leaves a horrible taste in my mouth
Screwed up as it may have been for their character, in retrospect, they weren’t wrong. That Grookey could really use a good trip to obedience school and Go’s doing nothing to temper it.

So, depending on what one views as "authentic" Pokemon battling, Sobble has battled other Pokemon (if you mean other Trainers' specifically, that I can't remember, but Sobble may still have). Grookey did attempt battle with Absol too (and as I was reminded, he kind of had a "sword exchange" (used really loose here) with a Marowak).

So, depending on what one views as "authentic" Pokemon battling, Sobble has battled other Pokemon (if you mean other Trainers' specifically, that I can't remember, but Sobble may still have). Grookey did attempt battle with Absol too (and as I was reminded, he kind of had a "sword exchange" (used really loose here) with a Marowak).
Do battles that 'happened' offscreen count?

The monkey hasn't showed any moves, and the writers don't seem eager to showcase if it knows any.
Those attempts were more it being a gagmon and failing miserably at it, because it is not funny at all.

No, it's not even offscreen for either, Sobble battled the sand snake in it's debut episode, he battled Flygon, and he battled...whatever in 54, and the Grookey stuff was "onscreen" too, but unlike the Sobble stuff (in my view) Grookey one could say hasn't "officially" battled anything yet.

I don't really count the first one, since Gou forced it to battle....
And Messon ended up running away.

But the latter two, yes. It did battle, unlike the nasty monkey.

What honestly is so appealing about Pikachu's direction in Journeys that the writers have to include it? Like, I really want to know now, because they essentially made Pikachu's personality "cute", "whiny", and "just like Ash". One of those isn't even a personality trait, another is a negative that has no positives to balance it, and the third is just plain lazy and was all "telling, not showing" within the narrative. So, why did they make this change??? There's seriously something wrong when the simple prospect of Pikachu participating in an important battle makes me roll my eyes. I just don't see any reason to be invested here! And the same applies to Lucario and Gengar; unless they come up for a way for me to be invested in them like with Dragonite, I'm not going to care about their upcoming battle against Volkner. They're just battling, so what?

sigh :bulbaFacepalm:

I mean.... every Pokemon gets forced to battle.

That's how this series works lol
Sorry. I should have elaborated.
Gou didn't grasp its distress and kept on pressing it until it suffered a breakdown.

Most of the time, Pokemon agree to battle for their trainers. So it's less of them being coerced.

Found a pretty touching tweet just now...

Ahhh, that's so cute! :bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove: I swear, I almost thought that was real for a moment...:cry:

But really, if they finally put Porygon in the anime, I really would not mind in the slightest. It's actually become one of my most recent favorite pokemon and I'd love to see it animated~:bulbaLove:

Drizzile’s plot is one of the highlights of Journeys to me, because it’s so unique and quite touching. The aspect that you don’t have to rush through life, and not every second needs to be pushing yourself, is such a nice change of pace from the usual, and I would say the exact opposite of Riolu at the start of the series.
Defiantly a nice message that you don’t need to pressure yourself and your time will come, is something I’m sure a lot of people struggle with.

I mean, they could still do things better with Drizzile, and a solo adventure in the upcoming episode to itself will be beneficial towards this. I just hope that Goh and the rest of the Pokemon are shown to be consistently checking up on Drizzile, and perhaps Goh could say lines that suggest he asked if Drizzile wanted to come on the adventure, but said no, or something like that.

I can’t help but find it especially egregious considering that Galar as a region is the most competitive yet and yet, as a result of giving them all to the protagonist that isn’t a battler and shafting Galar, we haven’t gotten any good showing of the Galar starters. Scorbunny’s line got to do a bit but Sobble and Grookey have basically been glorified props.

Screwed up as it may have been for their character, in retrospect, they weren’t wrong. That Grookey could really use a good trip to obedience school and Go’s doing nothing to temper it.
The Scorbunny line lucked out because because it got the Shillmon privileges.

A fast evolution to it's final stage to be the only consistent Galar Rep in a non Galar series. Even then Scorbunny and Raboot both got a good showing even if they didn't last that long.

We've seen how hard TPCi is pushing that bunny. They care only about Cinderace and Cinderace only.
Cinderace is the Gen 8 Greninja and everything else is an afterthought or a simple means to an ends for merch.

They're not going to give the Sobble Line or the Grookey Line the development that they need because the cold harsh reality of it is that they simply do not care about the other 2 Starter lines

Sure we may be getting Inteleon in the Anime but that's not because the writers actually give a damn about Inteleon, no. They don’t care about Inteleon. They care about the money that Inteleon merchandise can bring them from the Japanese crowd

You know those tiny crumbs of development that Sobble got in the Anime?

Ask yourselves this.
Do you guys think that they would've existed if hadn't been for Inteleon's unexpected popularity with the Japanese crowd?

Perhaps. But I honestly suspect that they originally intended to keep Sobble as is.

But now it feels as tho the writers were backed into a corner and are now scrambling to get an Inteleon on the cast as quickly as possible

But since the writers decided to forego traveling through the Galar region, thus having no reoccurring Rivals who could display Inteleon as much as they wanted, resulting in Goh being the only character in the show with a Sobble well... you end up with... whatever the hell we're getting now

The Scorbunny line lucked out because because it got the Shillmon privileges.

A fast evolution to it's final stage to be the only consistent Galar Rep in a non Galar series. Even then Scorbunny and Raboot both got a good showing even if they didn't last that long.

We've seen how hard TPCi is pushing that bunny. They care only about Cinderace and Cinderace only.
Cinderace is the Gen 8 Greninja and everything else is an afterthought or a simple means to an ends for merch.

They're not going to give the Sobble Line or the Grookey Line the development that they need because the cold harsh reality of it is that they simply do not care about the other 2 Starter lines

Sure we may be getting Inteleon in the Anime but that's not because the writers actually give a damn about Inteleon, no. They don’t care about Inteleon. They care about the money that Inteleon merchandise can bring them from the Japanese crowd

You know those tiny crumbs of development that Sobble got in the Anime?

Ask yourselves this.
Do you guys think that they would've existed if hadn't been for Inteleon's unexpected popularity with the Japanese crowd?

Perhaps. But I honestly suspect that they originally intended to keep Sobble as is.

But now it feels as tho the writers were backed into a corner and are now scrambling to get an Inteleon on the cast as quickly as possible

But since the writers decided to forego traveling through the Galar region, thus having no reoccurring Rivals who could display Inteleon as much as they wanted, resulting in Goh being the only character in the show with a Sobble well... you end up with... whatever the hell we're getting now

It would have been less of an issue if they would give Ash an Inteleon, then they can keep Gohs Sobble as is.

For any Naruto fans, this made me chuckle.
I like Journeys’ art-style, to be honest.

07B81650-26AD-45CF-A76D-FA69B0F7093F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom