• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

"The nicest people are the ones who are the most dangerous. when they get mad you better watch out cuz they are finally going to say what they have hold inside of them for a long time." Geeta fit in that category, but we shall see if it occurs. If it does, it will be the biggest plot twist and backstabber of all time.
We barely know anything about Geeta's personality though. That's still making a huge assumption based on her design and the notion that she'll snap despite appearing to be nice. Considering that people have been speculating that Geeta could be a villain the moment they called her a Chairwoman and they've been doing surprise villain twists for the past couple of generations, I definitely wouldn't call it the biggest plot twist or backstabber of all time.

Where are people getting the idea that Pokemon Go makes more money than the main series games? I've heard it a few times, mainly back when Journeys first started, but I've never heard anything official actually backing that up, Considering that a good portion to the highest selling Switch titles are main series Pokemon games, I highly doubt that Pokemon Go makes significantly more money than they do.
Not to mention Pokémon Go literally had a wider reach than main series. The main series games are not available on a vast portion of the globe yet Pokémon Go was borderline ubiquitous.
I always felt that Goh promoting Pokemon Go was a bit of an exaggeration. I get that his name and catching method are nods to Pokemon Go, but considering that he has caught Pokemon that still aren't in Pokemon Go, as well as a few Pokemon before they were introduced in the game, Goh being a walking talking advertisement for Pokemon Go never quite made sense to me.
I mean, a character's literal name and goal matching that of the most popular game across is clearly a game's promotion. That’s like saying that a character named Todd who clicks pictures being a promotion for Pokémon Snap is an exaggeration. That is like saying a character named Red who trains Pokémon isn’t a promotion for Pokémon Red. Maybe it is the wording of a "walking talking advertisement" that discounts the character as nothing more than an advert that bothers you (which I too do not agree with for the record), but Goh is factually Pokemon Go promotion, good or bad.

Ash catches Pokémon not available in various Pokémon games regularly but that doesn’t mean he’s not a promotion for mainline games.

I'm not sure how accurate this is. I was really into Pokémon Go when it first launched, didn't play it for years after, and recently picked it back up in the last year or so but don't really spend any money on the gatcha stuff. A lot of people are surprised that it's even still a thing, at least from my own experience.
The vast majority of a mobile game's revenue comes from a few people excessively spending on the game, called the predatory concept of developing "whales". Also, Go is literally the only way to play any Pokémon game in many regions because Nintendo has no official presence in many regions.

Although, this is the longest we've ever gone without hearing any new anime news, and we're already past many of the points where it would be shown off.
Production issues. I'm sure they want to take their time to have the start of the next series look good. And like other people have said, the series ending would be newsworthy enough to warrant an announcement too.

Not to mention Pokémon Go literally had a wider reach than main series. The main series games are not available on a vast portion of the globe yet Pokémon Go was borderline ubiquitous.
That is interesting since I'm not sure why more sites would have reported on this. Although, this was from 2020 and with Niantic removing some of the changes they made at the start of the pandemic, mainly incense actually being good and useful, I'm curious if it's still making as much money. I'm sure that it's still successful, but I'm less sure about them having the same levels of financial success during the past two years as they did in 2020.

I mean, a character's literal name and goal matching that of the most popular game across is clearly a game's promotion. That’s like saying that a character named Todd who clicks pictures being a promotion for Pokémon Snap is an exaggeration. That is like saying a character named Red who trains Pokémon isn’t a promotion for Pokémon Red. Maybe it is the wording of a "walking talking advertisement" that discounts the character as nothing more than an advert that bothers you (which I too do not agree with for the record), but Goh is factually Pokemon Go promotion, good or bad.

Ash catches Pokémon not available in various Pokémon games regularly but that doesn’t mean he’s not a promotion for mainline games.
I'm not saying that Goh doesn't have any connection to Pokemon Go, but just that connections feel too surface level to make him feel like a walking talking advertisement for Pokemon Go. The comparisons with Todd or Red don't work for me because unlike Goh, those characters are from the games. Aside from this series that features Ash using gimmicks that aren't available in Sword/Shield, I'm pretty sure that he has caught Pokemon that are available in their respective generations too. Goh does catch Pokemon the way people can catch Pokemon in Pokemon Go, but that's basically where the connection ends. He doesn't power up Pokemon with stardust, he doesn't battle against Team Go Rocket, he doesn't purify Shadow Pokemon and he's only done a couple of Raid battles over the course of the series. It's the same reason why people saying Journeys was adapting Pokemon Go more than Sword/Shield kind of bothered me because the connections to Go, while there, are pretty minimal.

I'm pretty sure that he has caught Pokemon that are available in their respective generations too.
He caught Pokémon in JN that are impossible to get in Sword and Shield. Lycanroc Dusk, Ash-Greninja were caught before their game debuts too. Also you’re comparing 8 generations of Ash to one generation of Goh. The very generation Goh debuted in shows Ash catching Pokémon not in the base games, so I feel it’s a slightly unfair comparison.

I don’t see how Goh catching a Pokémon not in Go is any different from Ash catching a Dexit Pokémon during SwSh.

Goh does catch Pokemon the way people can catch Pokemon in Pokemon Go, but that's basically where the connection ends. He doesn't power up Pokemon with stardust, he doesn't battle against Team Go Rocket, he doesn't purify Shadow Pokemon and he's only done a couple of Raid battles over the course of the series.
If we’re going by that logic then pretty much all adaptations are surface level. Goh is an adaptation but not a 1:1 Go copy. That’s just how adaptations work.

Going by your logic it can be argued that Ash is NOT promotion for mainline games There are simply some things that don’t fit in the anime universe. Ash is promotion for the games yet he doesn’t use TMs, HMs, candies, choice items and much more. He didn’t even bother to do the gyms this time. He doesn’t hyper train his Pokémon, and much more. They adapt whatever makes sense; and this HAS been done for Goh and Pokémon Go whenever possible. It doesn’t make sense to include team Go Rocket when the regular Team Rocket is already present and so on, Shadow Pokémon are a concept taken from another spin off, and Ash doesn’t use the game power ups either, so again, these comparisons aren’t fair.

You’re holding Goh to a much higher standard for Pokémon Go promotion than other elements are held for game promotion. If Ash is a promotional tool for the games, Goh is one for Pokémon Go.

That is interesting since I'm not sure why more sites would have reported on this. Although, this was from 2020 and with Niantic removing some of the changes they made at the start of the pandemic, mainly incense actually being good and useful, I'm curious if it's still making as much money. I'm sure that it's still successful, but I'm less sure about them having the same levels of financial success during the past two years as they did in 2020.
The data has been reconfirmed by many figures if you read the article. You’re free to do your own research. The information is freely available. Sword and Shield were the best selling games and yet have still lost to Go by a literal factor of 2-3. That is no small feat. Also the article addresses lifetime revenue. It isn’t really fair to compare the lifetime sales of mainline games to yearly income for Go.

He caught Pokémon in JN that are impossible to get in Sword and Shield. Lycanroc Dusk, Ash-Greninja were caught before their game debuts too. Also you’re comparing 8 generations of Ash to one generation of Goh. The very generation Goh debuted in shows Ash catching Pokémon not in the base games, so I feel it’s a slightly unfair comparison.

I don’t see how Goh catching a Pokémon not in Go is any different from Ash catching a Dexit Pokémon during SwSh.
I was talking about Ash's current Journeys team, which I'm pretty sure are all available in Sword/Shield. Lycanro Dusk form was a tie-in for US/UM, but that's a valid point on Ash-Greninja since it was anime exclusive form before being incorporated in Sun/Moon.

If we’re going by that logic then pretty much all adaptations are surface level. Goh is an adaptation but not a 1:1 Go copy. That’s just how adaptations work.

Going by your logic it can be argued that Ash is NOT promotion for mainline games There are simply some things that don’t fit in the anime universe. Ash is promotion for the games yet he doesn’t use TMs, HMs, candies, choice items and much more. He didn’t even bother to do the gyms this time. He doesn’t hyper train his Pokémon, and much more. They adapt whatever makes sense; and this HAS been done for Goh and Pokémon Go whenever possible. It doesn’t make sense to include team Go Rocket when the regular Team Rocket is already present and so on, Shadow Pokémon are a concept taken from another spin off, and Ash doesn’t use the game power ups either, so again, these comparisons aren’t fair.

You’re holding Goh to a much higher standard for Pokémon Go promotion than other elements are held for game promotion. If Ash is a promotional tool for the games, Goh is one for Pokémon Go.
I'm not saying that they have to adapt everything to actively promote the games. They've never done that with Ash either, but he still captures, trains and battles usually with new Pokemon against other trainers from the games. He basically takes the role of the player character for each generation. Even with Journeys not focusing on Sword/Shield as much as other generations, he still played a role in the Darkest Day arc and ended up defeating Leon, both of which the player character does in the games. It's more than one or two details like it is with Goh's catching method.

Yeah, a lot of the battle mechanics from both the main series games and Pokemon Go wouldn't translate well into the anime, but my point is that with what they have adapted from Pokemon Go, it's pretty minimal. Granted, a lot of that has to do with how there isn't a storyline for them to really work into the anime like they do with the main series games, but they could have still incorporated Professor Willow and the team Leaders into the anime or maybe had some of the adventures from Professor Cercise matching special research/tasks form Pokemon Go. To be clear, I'm not saying that Goh doesn't exist as a tie-in to Pokemon Go. I'm saying that it begins and ends with just his name and how he catches Pokemon. To me, that is pretty minimal advertisement, especially compared to other characters, not just Ash, and doesn't really come off as that much of an effective promotion for the game.

Back
Top Bottom