• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I'm genuinely shocked. I didn't think that they'd actually do this, even with Ash defeating Leon. It seems like it would be easy for them to just keep Ash on his journey forever like usual. Not to mention it still feels like a huge risk replacing your iconic lead character after twenty five years. At least this does explain why they haven't announced anything about a new anime series for awhile. I'm still processing it all since it's kind of overwhelming news to wake up to.

I'm genuinely shocked. I didn't think that they'd actually do this, even with Ash defeating Leon. It seems like it would be easy for them to just keep Ash on his journey forever like usual. Not to mention it still feels like a huge risk replacing your iconic lead character after twenty five years. At least this does explain why they haven't announced anything about a new anime series for awhile. I'm still processing it all since it's kind of overwhelming news to wake up to.
Honestly I'm shocked as well but I'm happy. It's Pokemon, the highest grossing franchise of all time. They can and will survive without Ash, even though yes it's a huge risk to replace him

But honestly I'm happy they did. It's been 25 years. Ash is finally the strongest I'm the world. Genuinely what else more was there? The paldea gyms and championship was basically the same thing we saw pre JN , just with a new coat of paint.

And it would be extremely odd if Ash lost to greeta. Someone who by the anime standards is way below Leon (honestly I think it was a huge mistake to make Leon the strongest of all time instead of just strongest in galar)

After the PWC I felt the anime cod of easily wen the Simpsons route. Where are is basically a flanderized version of what he is. Where they repeat the same story ideas, arc, beats constantly because. (They are are doing that now lol)

But man I'm excited. JN keeps bombshelling us, even at the end.

It's been a fun ride, except for the latter part of Journeys, that left me such fond memories; but I may not be coming back.

A Pokemon Anime without Satoshi doesn't have a reason to be or be watched to me.

The End of an Era, isn't it?
Hope that I will always have Doraemon and Nintama, or get a new Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru.

We knew this day would come eventually. I, for one, am glad the end of Ash's adventures doesn't mean the end of PokeAni in general and that they're giving him a (hopefully) proper send off.

The time is right for change. I love Ash, really, but it was clear his presence was limiting what the story could do. Continually starting anew, while having to manage the massive baggage Ash came with, was becoming harder with each new success and each new batch of Pokemon/companions he gained. There really was no clean way of getting Ash to Paldea while also preserving his protagonist status.

I wonder, as well, if there wasn't a general feeling of fatigue around him. If the long-serving staff and directors and even the company itself felt the anime coud do with rejuvination, rather than another iteration of Ash doing something he's done before, just with a midly different flavour.

It's a big decision, but I think it'll prove to be the right one, wth time. It'll take a while to get used to Ash - and I assume Team Rocket as well, but you never know with those guys - not being around, and I"m sure a lot of series vets will drop off now, but the future seems exciting. It's going to be a proper fresh start.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm shocked as well but I'm happy. It's Pokemon, the highest grossing franchise of all time. They can and will survive without Ash, even though yes it's a huge risk to replace him

But honestly I'm happy they did. It's been 25 years. Ash is finally the strongest I'm the world. Genuinely what else more was there? The paldea gyms and championship was basically the same thing we saw pre JN , just with a new coat of paint.

And it would be extremely odd if Ash lost to greeta. Someone who by the anime standards is way below Leon (honestly I think it was a huge mistake to make Leon the strongest of all time instead of just strongest in galar)

After the PWC I felt the anime cod of easily wen the Simpsons route. Where are is basically a flanderized version of what he is. Where they repeat the same story ideas, arc, beats constantly because. (They are are doing that now lol)

But man I'm excited. JN keeps bombshelling us, even at the end.
I don't know if Ash is considered the strongest in the world, or at least if I consider him as such. Despite Leon's title, I think it's just harder for me to immediately discount Paldea when they could have easily tried to claim that Paldea trainers are so strong that they didn't bother with the PWC. That was one of my thoughts on how they could explain away the lack of Paldea in a world wide tournament anyway. Repeating the same beats never really stopped them before, but it is possible that they were tired of doing that with every new series, especially by now.

I don't know if Ash is considered the strongest in the world, or at least if I consider him as such. Despite Leon's title, I think it's just harder for me to immediately discount Paldea when they could have easily tried to claim that Paldea trainers are so strong that they didn't bother with the PWC. That was one of my thoughts on how they could explain away the lack of Paldea in a world wide tournament anyway. Repeating the same beats never really stopped them before, but it is possible that they were tired of doing that with every new series, especially by now.
Yeah. Keeping Ash around would require a reset 10x worse than what happened in Unova.

He is considered the strongest. That was the whole point of beating Leon . It's hard to discount paldea because the premise was flawed in the first place. They should of never said Leon was the strongest, but they did, and here we are . Now Ash doesn't really have anywhere to go. It's honestly gonna be hard to justify Pikachu losing ever. Basically saying that some random person is paldea we never knew until now just beat the pwc monarch ace. We watched him finally get to this point after 25 years and someone we never met just ups and beats him like that. Lol are they the monarch now?

And no they really don't need to go through the PWC. Because if Ash beat Leon in that first battle they met that would be a huge ass deal. So if someone does that to Ash it would be the same

And idk, the whole "everyone in paldea is in the sa.e league as Ash" would also cause a slee of problems. This was honestly the best course of action

Yeah. Keeping Ash around would require a reset 10x worse than what happened in Unova.
Not necessarily. I still don't think it would have been that difficult to keep Ash around without resetting him, if only because they've done it multiple times by this point. I was referring more to the possibility that they were tired of trying to keep Ash around when they have said before it was difficult to write him without repeating the same lessons, or something along those lines.

He is considered the strongest. That was the whole point of beating Leon . It's hard to discount paldea because the premise was flawed in the first place. They should of never said Leon was the strongest, but they did, and here we are . Now Ash doesn't really have anywhere to go. It's honestly gonna be hard to justify Pikachu losing ever. Basically saying that some random person is paldea we never knew until now just beat the pwc monarch ace. We watched him finally get to this point after 25 years and someone we never met just ups and beats him like that. Lol are they the monarch now?

And no they really don't need to go through the PWC. Because if Ash beat Leon in that first battle they met that would be a huge ass deal. So if someone does that to Ash it would be the same

And idk, the whole "everyone in paldea is in the sa.e league as Ash" would also cause a slee of problems. This was honestly the best course of action
They described him as a World Champion, not the World Champion though. I don't think it would be hard to justify Pikachu losing since despite its huge feat of defeating Leon's Charizard, it never had the best stamina either. Although, they did kind of write themselves into a corner with making Leon the top ranked trainer in the world. Losing to a random new character doesn't mean that Ash would lose his title either. Ash defeating Leon in a one-on-one battle would have been a big deal, especially with his Charizard, but I don't think that people would say that he's the new number one ranked trainer from that either. It isn't like Ash can't ever lose again or else he'd lose his title. He didn't lose the Alola League Champion title when he lost to Bea, so I don't see how losing to someone outside of the PWC would be any different.

To be fair, I can see how trying to put everyone in every following region on Ash's level would potentially cause some problems. It would be hard to keep escalating the scales for every new region like that. I'm still not sure if I can say that this was the best course of action, at least right now, but I can understand that rationale too.

I'm thinking that this new series will be like Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy. Although the main characters are new, many of the supporting characters are from previous series and previous events are regularly referenced.

We will see. When the original characters from Beyblade were replaced I lost interest. Also Yu-Gi-Oh!, I did follow the start of Jaiden's adventures, but my interest wavered away. It was not helped by the fact the new episodes had trouble being localized. Maybe a sign a lot of people (also children) in my country/area lost intrest.

We will see. When the original characters from Beyblade were replaced I lost interest. Also Yu-Gi-Oh!, I did follow the start of Jaiden's adventures, but my interest wavered away. It was not helped by the fact the new episodes had trouble being localized. Maybe a sign a lot of people (also children) in my country/area lost intrest.
That does brings up a good point. Are they just going to continue with the Nexflix deal with the new series or will they just do something else like post the dubbed episodes on the official English Pokemon channel on Youtube?

Not necessarily. I still don't think it would have been that difficult to keep Ash around without resetting him, if only because they've done it multiple times by this point. I was referring more to the possibility that they were tired of trying to keep Ash around when they have said before it was difficult to write him without repeating the same lessons, or something along those lines.

They described him as a World Champion, not the World Champion though. I don't think it would be hard to justify Pikachu losing since despite its huge feat of defeating Leon's Charizard, it never had the best stamina either. Although, they did kind of write themselves into a corner with making Leon the top ranked trainer in the world. Losing to a random new character doesn't mean that Ash would lose his title either. Ash defeating Leon in a one-on-one battle would have been a big deal, especially with his Charizard, but I don't think that people would say that he's the new number one ranked trainer from that either. It isn't like Ash can't ever lose again or else he'd lose his title. He didn't lose the Alola League Champion title when he lost to Bea, so I don't see how losing to someone outside of the PWC would be any different.

To be fair, I can see how trying to put everyone in every following region on Ash's level would potentially cause some problems. It would be hard to keep escalating the scales for every new region like that. I'm still not sure if I can say that this was the best course of action, at least right now, but I can understand that rationale too.
It had stamina to go toe to toe with lizardon and cinderace and beat both. So the whole stamina thing doesn't even work

But it kinda would.ske Leon lose his title. His whole thing is that he has never been beaten ever. So for Ash to beat him in that battle, yeah that counts a whole lot more. Ash isn't going around saying he is the unbeatable Alola champion. Leon said that both outside and inside of the pwc. And let's be honest if Ash beat Leon in that battle, who cares about the PWC. Leon isn't the unbeatable trainer anymore because ahs just proved him wrong. It honestly doesn't matter if it wasnt in the PWC, because he just lost. What word Ash even do after he beat Leon, go to the lwc and beat him again. I doubt Leon would say "that didn't count".

If Leon said I'm the undefeatable galar champion and not just undefeatable overall. Than yeah that would be different. But nope they claimed he has never been beaten overall. Both inside and outside PWC. Ash beating him at that moment would count as Ash just beating the undefeatable champion

Besides what would you even do after paldea? Is there another region that decided to ignore the PWC and is even more stronger than. Leon and greeta. How far can you raise the stakes? There is a limit. There comes a time where a character story is best to end. I'm glad the Pokemon company saw that too. Instead of dragging Ash for 100+ years

Last edited:
Hold on, we are actually getting a confirmation of what the hell a pokemon master is? Is the one piece gonna be found later that day?
I'm curious if they're going to give the official answer from that interview earlier in JN (that Pokémon Master doesn't exist and is just "the silly dream of a child") or come up with something for the ending.

Edit: This is one of the franchises where "the friends we made along the way" will be an acceptable final answer.

I can very easily say that I'm heartbroken and this is likely the end of my journey with the Pokémon anime.

I always said if they ever took Ash off the show I'd probably be done, but I wasn't sure how serious I was considering I never thought it'd really happen. The news this morning legitimately shocked me, and as soon as I found myself skipping past whatever information there was about the new series to try and get more about Ash's mini series, I just knew it was the end for me.

I'm not saying I don't understand why this is the end, it does make sense in a way. Ash has accomplished a lot over the last two series. I do still feel they could've done a bit more with him in a different capacity, but obviously they chose not to. At least I'll have the 25+ years of the show I grew up with to fondly rewatch, and for that I'm grateful, but I'm still extremely shell shocked.

It had stamina to go toe to toe with lizardon and cinderace and beat both. So the whole stamina thing doesn't even work
Weren't people saying it was a bit of a stretch for Pikachu to defeat both Cinderace and Charizard though? My point was really more that Pikachu's stamina has never been that consistent, so I should have made that clearer.

Besides what would you even do after paldea? Is there another region that decided to ignore the PWC and is even more stronger than. Leon and greeta. How far can you raise the stakes? There is a limit. There comes a time where a character story is best to end. I'm glad the Pokemon company saw that too. Instead of dragging Ash for 100+ years
Because the anime has to continually recton in new regions and Pokemon for marketing, I think that they would kind of have to just have more regions that ignored the PWC and I don't really see a problem with that. I think that's one reason why, despite Leon's ranking, it's hard for me to see it as Ash's ultimate peak when their world is constantly adding in new regions and Pokemon every few years. It's still a huge accomplishment, but at the same time, it is not so difficult to believe that there would be other trainers more powerful than Leon out there in the world because of that. And we know that Paldea does exist in the anime if the shorts with Team Rocket are any indication.

Admittedly, like I mentioned before, there was the issue of trying to consistently raise the stakes higher or keep them at the same level of Ash defeating Champions all the time, but that's why I thought that they could lower it with a return to Gyms for Ash. It wouldn't be out of character for him or be hard to justify either. I'm less convinced that they knew this was the best time to end Ash's story. Despite Ash's major accomplishments over the last two series, I hesitate to say he got much character development. He just got to win some big battles, which is cool, but not what I'd consider character development or even necessarily a solid end to his story. If they were interested in doing the latter, they probably would have done it a lot sooner. I have an easier time believing that the writers were just tired of writing around his experience more so than anything else. Maybe the mini-series will give off a different impression though.

Back
Top Bottom