• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

IMO the best parts of the OS are the first 40ish episodes of the series and even later parts of Kanto were good albeit it started to become filler hell once they realized what a big hit Pokemon was. It was very off-beat and obviously not at all similar to the more standard formula that eventually took over when the franchise became a worldwide phenomena but the humor still holds up and it has some fantastic episodes. I always say it doesn't really fit the rest of the series because compared to later episodes, Ash winning his badges the way he does don't line up at all but just as a standalone, they were well written IMO. And the show is still hilarious. Ash, Misty, and Brock roasting each other ruthlessly is still hilarious and arrogant Ash had a lot of personality
As someone who watched the Japanese version with subtitles recently, the idea of Ash being arrogant is a 4Kids idea. Ash retains the same denseness he has in later series in the early Kanto episodes in Japanese. There are also way more inappropriate comments in the Japanese version than the 4Kids dub, including multiple “I can’t wait to see you in 8 years” comments. After Electric Soldier Porygon, these comments die off drastically. This is not to mention how many violent scenes got cut out by 4Kids, like Misty slapping Ash in episode 1 and the entire Legend of Drantini episode. Rewatching the original episodes in Japanese opened up my eyes, and the tone of the show feels different in multiple ways. It’s to the point where Satoshi, Kasumi, and Takeshi feel like different characters from Ash, Misty, and Brock. The original Kanto series effectively has two different scripts, and one script can’t be accurately used to judge the other. They both need to be experienced on their own merits.

It was a nice little special still. I just wish that it went on for much longer just so I can have even more nostalgic memories thrown at me like a dog hungry for food.

A little disappointing that there was no extra previews or anything but I'm gonna take it all in with Ash and Pikachu and their cute little moments in this short little series if that clip was any indication.

As someone who watched the Japanese version with subtitles recently, the idea of Ash being arrogant is a 4Kids idea. Ash retains the same denseness he has in later series in the early Kanto episodes in Japanese. There are also way more inappropriate comments in the Japanese version than the 4Kids dub, including multiple “I can’t wait to see you in 8 years” comments. After Electric Soldier Porygon, these comments die off drastically. This is not to mention how many violent scenes got cut out by 4Kids, like Misty slapping Ash in episode 1 and the entire Legend of Drantini episode. Rewatching the original episodes in Japanese opened up my eyes, and the tone of the show feels different in multiple ways. It’s to the point where Satoshi, Kasumi, and Takeshi feel like different characters from Ash, Misty, and Brock. The original Kanto series effectively has two different scripts, and one script can’t be accurately used to judge the other. They both need to be experienced on their own merits.
Fair enough, this is likely true. I'm speaking mostly of the 4Kids dub which IMO holds up very well, especially Team Rocket

I remember scenes where Ash/Satoshi flaunts his badges. These wouldn't be 4kids dub, since this is animation.

So, Satoshi was still arrogant in Japanese OS.

TB008_3.png

Last edited:
There are multiple language dubs based on the Japanese version and not the English one that retain the snarky/arrogant Ash, not to mention the animation mentioned by @Konja7 . It would’ve been one thing if the English dub invented its own personality for Ash, but for completely unrelated productions to somehow stumble upon the exact personality independently doesn’t sound believable.

I grew up watching the Hindi dub; that’s based on the original Japanese recordings and not the English dub (at least at the time; I don’t follow it now so I don’t recall the source for the recent sagas if it was changed), and it definitely had snarky Ash. And I assure you they don’t care enough about the series to invent new personalities or look strictly beyond the scripts. Our dubs are notorious for being low effort and often late (complete with Google translate esque vocabulary).

Also a lot of Ash and Misty’s dynamic relies on “arrogant” Ash being well… arrogant.

I remember scenes where Ash/Satoshi flaunts his badges. These wouldn't be 4kids dub, since this is animation.

So, Satoshi was still arrogant in Japanese OS.

1673110291783.png
No kidding. That nose growing means he was being as arrogant as a Tengu (the red face kind, not the crow people).

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if the series composer of To Be a Master, Atsuhiro Tomioka, ends up writing most, if not all, of the miniseries since there are only 11 episodes.

No kidding. That nose growing means he was being as arrogant as a Tengu (the red face kind, not the crow people).
And the best part is, it was easily translatable in the west: they just had to make Ash lie while bragging, so the western children could easily make the connection to Pinocchio. Not bad, 4Kids.

Back
Top Bottom