• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Vs Game

Anime or Game

• Anime

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Game

Votes: 26 81.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teapot Salty

Popping Corn
Reaction score
The title says it all. Which do you prefer, the pokemon anime (the ones including ash, orgin was just an amazing short) or the games. Which one is more entertaining? Which one is going to keep you longer? Which one will you always cherish? Feel free to give nostalgia points.

Anyway my vote goes to the games all the way. On top of being my first video game ever (yes I loved pokemon because of the cards/anime like every six year old) I find it vastly more entertaining. It wins all three catagories and also I can play competitively. The only real points the anime gets is from nostalgia and getting me into the game.

The games, obviously. Any hopes the anime had of winning were destroyed in the DP era.

As a kid who grew up with Pokemon in the early 2000 era (so Pokemon Season 2 or 3 was on) I preferred the anime over the games as I didn't really understand the games that much. However when I picked up Pokemon Gold I was glued to that game for ages. As a kid I preferred the anime as I found it had more action and kids generally like action. Now though, the games are better as it gets your mind to think more and it gives you more joy I guess. That's what it is like to me.

I stopped watching the anime after pretty much all of the original voice cast left. All of the replacements don't even sound close to the originals and it just makes me kind of sad. Ash sounds like he's having an asthma attack on every line.

Besides, getting to pick my own Pokemon team and train them how I want is so much fun. Better than watching some ten year old kid constantly screw up/make stupid decisions despite having started over his journey numerous times.

Game. The reason is almost same as the other people.

After watching Ash's gym battle against Elesa... definitely the games.

Seriously, when that boy makes stupid decisions... he makes stupid decisions.

I like the show but I love the games. With the anime it's like the people working on it have no idea of what other modern animated shows are like. With shows such as The Legend of Korra, the great DC animated shows, and even Tron Uprising, Pokemon is pitiful in comparison. It's a fun show but it needs a completely new creative staff, some fresh ideas, and a nice break so things can get better.

I lost most faith in the show after they got rid of May. Games for me.

Games win by far: at least you don't have to see older characters being flanderized to the point where they aren't even recognizable as who they once were, you can immerse yourself in the Pokemon world and catch all these creatures you want to, train them, proceeding to battle and take down the Elite Four and become a champion, you get to start afresh with each generation in a whole new land with a brand new protagonist and his set of antagonists, learn how to use strategy to come up with the most effective way of defeating opponents via EVs, IVs, gladly trolling others with Drizzle Politoed like a boss (well, you could until Smogon did what they did and banned using too many in Competitive Play), and generally things feel different despite being the same set-up most of the time.

The anime...what can I say? It really just is not what it used to be...at all: it lacks so much of the basic charm, feeling, emotion, humbleness, and sincerity it used to have for a kids' show. Additionally, it has become too plain predictable: it completely lacks continuity between the different series, with Ash and TR being reset every newer series as well as integrating themselves with a few of the newer characters' from that generations' game releases that will be replaced every 3-4 years anyway, it lacks morals aside from friendship rehashed time and again, it lacks acknowledgement of many of the older characters and their contributions towards the series...I don't think there is really a comparison here, tbh.

Last edited:
I see literally no reason why I (or anyone on that matter) should choose the anime over the games. I'd be really interested in hearing why that single vote for anime exists there.

I see literally no reason why I (or anyone on that matter) should choose the anime over the games. I'd be really interested in hearing why that single vote for anime exists there.

My humble speculation for that single anime vote: From the super-hardcore anime fans that doesn't like to play any sort of RPG games; or from a new Pokemon anime fans that didn't watch anything prior to BW, and never played any main series games prior to GenIV.

Games win by the amount of stars in the observable universe.

The games are more entertaining for sure. I never really grew to love the show and only watched it for "Guess That Pokemon".

The games certainly don't talk down to their audience unlike the Anime. Heck, there are incredibly dark stuff like Yamask being a literal ghost and Lysandre wanting to cause actually genocide.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom