• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone read any good books lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommend reading Sapphire's novel Push, which the film Precious is based on. It is a fast read packed with emotional drama that touches upon a variety of social issues. However, you might have difficulty reading it because Precious, who serves as the story's narrator, is nearly illiterate.

Hmmm, I'd reccomend:

Brick Lane - Monica Ali
The Cherub Saga - Robert Muchamore

If you like books that are more interesting to think about than fun to read, I highly recommend The Debt to Pleasure by John Lanchester. It's... well, it calls itself first a novel and then a cook book but it's really a very different type of book from most you have probably read. The first-person character is really irritating, but you HAVE to keep reading to the end of the first section- there's a lot more to the story than you would first think. That really pretentious narrator is up to something.

The cover has a pear with a mustache on it.

Not Sci-Fi or historical fiction, but a good non-fiction book I'm currently reading is Weekends at Bellvue. It's written by a woman that worked the weekend shift at New York's Bellvue Hospital's psych ward, which is famous for its mental cases. Some of the cases are really zany, and the author's got a lot of attitude which makes it really entertaining. And all of it's true.

reading watchmen right now fuck yeah 8D
it's way better than the movie except it doesn't have jeffrey dean morgan. but that's its only drawback. /srsface
also this awesome new chris wooding book called "malice". it's like part comic book part novel & it's pretty sweet.

am reading Hunger Games. Good book. Read it.

I had to read 1984 for English in school. It's a good book.

Have you tried reading "The Hunger Games"? AWESOME!

I had to read 1984 for English in school. It's a good book.

It's okay, but George Orwell is a troubled soul that I almost feel bad for. I also had to read and watch "Animal Farm", which was just horrible.

Read a few good books this semester for college:

"Paradise Lost" : one of the most famous texts in the English language; read it if you haven't yet.

"The Great Gatsby" : always a good read.

The Iliad and the Aeneid: two ancient texts that are quite famous.

For personal pleasure, I started reading Much Ado About Nothing - one of Shakespeare's romantic comedies. If you love irony, then this is an obvious choice for you; the book is practically dripping with dramatic irony (thus the comedy aspect, I suppose). While it's the traditional five acts, it's a short play and definitely one to check out if you haven't.

It's okay, but George Orwell is a troubled soul that I almost feel bad for. I also had to read and watch "Animal Farm", which was just horrible.

to each his own. I find both books to be very well written with great messages and interesting stories.

Speaking of whom, has anyone read "1Q84" by Haruki Murakami?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom