• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Gallery General Chat Thread

For reference that is the question this started from, if any regular would like to help please feel free to:
Το anyone who enjoys doing drawing pictures: How long does it take you to draw and color a sketch/picture? I ask because I want to be accurate with it for my story, which is about not so much conquering fear, but not letting it consume you completely (though I guess conquering fear would be the result of that).

why is this not sticky, it dropped to page 2
Yeah this feels like it should be stuck, I'll do that now.

As for Greninjaman's question: usually about 2-5 hours depending on how detailed I'm going with the shading and stuff, sometime longer if I'm doing multiple characters or an actual background. It's something that very much does vary from artist to artist though.

@Greninjaman I find that the time it takes to finish a picture can vary drastically since there's so many factors, like size, complexity, medium, and motivation level, so for your story, I'd say anything from a few hours to a few days would be reasonably accurate. For me personally, my digital artworks usually take anywhere from 3 to maybe 7-ish hours, but I work in small bursts over a period of several days, so that's a vague estimation. More complex traditional artwork like portraits or still lives can take me up to a week.

@Greninjaman I find that the time it takes to finish a picture can vary drastically since there's so many factors, like size, complexity, medium, and motivation level, so for your story, I'd say anything from a few hours to a few days would be reasonably accurate. For me personally, my digital artworks usually take anywhere from 3 to maybe 7-ish hours, but I work in small bursts over a period of several days, so that's a vague estimation. More complex traditional artwork like portraits or still lives can take me up to a week.
I can imagine that.

@Zexy thanks for the sticky btw!

I’m late to the party, but I figured I would answer also (though I’m sure you’ve got a big enough sample size!)

@Greninjaman I’ll skip the finer details since Disc, Dawning and the others who answered already factored in the variable by offering my personal numbers that may help?

When it’s a colored sketch, it can take me 2-3 hours if I stay focused. If it’s a fully rendered piece it can vary greatly, but usually about 2-4 days if I focus on nothing but. Chibi and smaller pieces can take 2-6 hours varying mostly by complexity. My messy sketches can just be from 15-30 minutes depending on how much I’m refining them.

Hope that helps!

@Greninjaman
Sorry for the sort of late answer but for just a fun drawing, I’d probably only want to spend under 20 minutes. But to perfect just a drawing without color, I’d want to spend maybe 45 minutes?

If I were to color something digitally (no background it’d take about an hour, and if I were to do watercolor (no background), it’d probably take 10 minutes.

I’d suggest drawing when you feel like it mainly because that’s when you can get the best ideas though I still believe you can still draw when you don’t feel like it.

Good luck and keep drawing!

for some reason, every time i draw it takes longer and longer. this thing i'm working on now, i haven't even started on the background and it's been almost 8 hours.
I think this tends to happen as you improve, actually. This is just a hunch based on my own experience though. When your art starts to reach a new height, the time it takes starts to slow and plateau until you get ahold of that new skill. With time, parts that you drew slowly will start to speed up again as you get used to it and the cycle will repeat.

Unless there are other variables such as your health or lack of focus that can get in the way that might be hindering you, which sucks.

I am :bulbaWave: I picked my team early because I really wanted to be on Vampires lol. My Art Fight page is here for those of ya who are participating (or for those of ya who are just curious about my OCs since I never draw or post them here). Be warned that I am also looking for targets, lemme at your beautiful characters

I wasn't as active in last year's Art Fight as I would've liked to be, but hopefully this year will be different. Last month was just a neverending case of art block for me, so what better way to shake off the rust?

Good luck to those of you in art fight! I've always wanted to participate but just never find the time or get my OC refs together in time... LOL. If I were to join I'd definitely be on team vampires though, I love vampires... I should do more themed pieces.

Maybe we can organize more collab stuff on the forums as well? (I'm already gripping oki a bit)

We could do another collab event for Halloween, the Art Gallery didn't do a Halloween event for last year but we had a similar one to the Christmas 2022 one for Halloween in 2021?

We could also look at different types of collabs too as the previous two have been the group drawing where we each drew characters to add to a background image but we could also do something like themes, for example if we had a Gym Leader theme we could each choose a leader and create art based on that character or we could possibly randomise the character for each participant?

Last edited:
Does anyone know a good way to clean the surface of a drawing tablet? It's not the fancy kind with a screen, just a basic USB tablet. I've noticed some fingerprints and residue on the surface lately but I don't want to accidentally damage it or anything.

Does anyone know a good way to clean the surface of a drawing tablet? It's not the fancy kind with a screen, just a basic USB tablet. I've noticed some fingerprints and residue on the surface lately but I don't want to accidentally damage it or anything.
I'd use a microfiber cloth and see if it'd work, and if not, possibly a wet wipe as long as moisture doesn't get into any ports and it's not plugged in... what tablet do you use? (I have a Huion H640P!)

I'd use a microfiber cloth and see if it'd work, and if not, possibly a wet wipe as long as moisture doesn't get into any ports and it's not plugged in... what tablet do you use? (I have a Huion H640P!)
Will do, thanks! (fellow Huion user :bulbaWave: I've got a 680S, it's pretty simple but it's always served me well)

We could also look at different types of collabs too as the previous two have been the group drawing where we each drew characters to add to a background image but we could also do something like themes, for example if we had a Gym Leader theme we could each choose a leader and create art based on that character or we could possibly randomise the character for each participant?
This is a very cute idea! Though I was honestly thinking more along the lines of art trades or randomized art trades of a secret santa variety (randomly assigned person, draw what they put as their desired subjects). I think collab drawing topics like gym leaders and Pokemon like you stated would be pretty fun team challenges though. My gears are turning… It all sounds possible!

Even though it’s not a screen tablet, screen-cleaner is still a good way to go since the alcohol is gentle enough to get rid of any stains or residue without harming the tablet. It was already mentioned but a micro fibre cloth after helps!

i would just love any drawing challenge, lately it feels hard to create and maybe a challenge would help me
I'm sorry it's such a rough spot for you right now. It's really depressing to be barred from creation because of a mental block. Do you think it's a lack of motivation or ideas? Or something else entirely?

Back
Top Bottom