• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Art Gallery General Chat Thread

@demiurgeQuantified
There’s an OC thread here in the Art Gallery, but people tend to post actual drawings of their characters there rather than just talking about them, as far as I can tell. With that said, there are plenty of OC blogs over in the Bulbablogs section, so if you’re not planning on posting any artwork of your characters anytime soon, I believe that you’d be plenty welcome over there!

…unless just descriptions actually would be welcome there? You might want to wait for a second opinion from the regulars here if you want to be sure, but that’s my take if you wanted an immediate answer.

would i post about my ocs in this section?? i don't really draw so
Baku’s post has the short of it about the OC thread we have, but detailed descriptions in the OC thread are also allowed in the thread as writing and concepting is still an artistic medium! Outside of that thread though, your OC posts would work best in blogs I’m quite certain.

What’s a screenless drawing tablet? Oh. Nm I Remember. uhh, for me personally I’ve only ever drawn on paper or on my iPad, so I can’t say, but I think a screenless one would mess me up big time but I think it’s up to you in the end. Sorry I couldn’t be much help

Question: is there a big difference between a screenless drawing tablet and a one with screen? I'm asking only about the... "drawing experience" - not things like durability/price.
I've only ever used a screenless one, so here's what I'll tell you: it's probably bound to be a bit different from one with a screen in terms of having a 'mental disconnect' from what you're drawing and the surface you're drawing with, but I do think that in the end, it's something one can get used to! (I have a Huion 640P, I believe, and I draw with it pretty naturally now?)

I can't speak for tablets with screen, of course, but I'd imagine they're a bit nicer to use LOL.

Question: is there a big difference between a screenless drawing tablet and a one with screen? I'm asking only about the... "drawing experience" - not things like durability/price.
I mainly use a screenless tablet, but I've used one with a screen a few times (probably not enough to really get used to it, but still) and one little thing I've noticed is that the physical "feel" of the pen against the surface is slightly different - on a screen tablet the surface is very smooth, but screenless tablets tend to have a bit more texture, it's more like a matte "scratchier" surface instead of the glassy feel of screen tablets. It's a subtle difference but I tend to prefer screenless tablets because of it.
Like Lisia said, there is a bit of a disconnect when you're using a non-screen tablet since you're drawing on a different surface, but you do get used to it - I actually like it since I can see what I'm doing at all times without my hand getting in the way or anything. But I think screen tablets also give you more control, they work more similarly to drawing on paper since you're actually drawing right on the screen, so it's more intuitive.

I'm also a screenless tablet user... I was thinking about getting a new one next year, my main problem with my current one is how fast the pen nibs wear out and also its size, and it has no buttons.

I was wondering if the experience of using one with a screen is notably better, as that would be the only thing that would make me consider getting a screen one - I have no problem with the lack of screen, not even a 'mental disconnect' like Lisia said lol.

So it was more of a question aimed towards people who have experience using both for comparison...

As DW said, looking forward is more comfortable than looking down - something I haven't thought of, but definitely a reason to stick with a no screen one!

I mainly use a screenless tablet, but I've used one with a screen a few times (probably not enough to really get used to it, but still) and one little thing I've noticed is that the physical "feel" of the pen against the surface is slightly different - on a screen tablet the surface is very smooth, but screenless tablets tend to have a bit more texture, it's more like a matte "scratchier" surface instead of the glassy feel of screen tablets. It's a subtle difference but I tend to prefer screenless tablets because of it.
...I thought of it as an advantage as the surface would not damage the pen nib? lol But I think there are tablets with screen and a 'paper-like' texture (must be expensive though)...

Thanks for the answers, everyone!!

I know @Blanc uses a screen display tablet, maybe she would have some insight that we don't?

I'm really accustomed to using a screenless tablet, but I remember trying out a Cintiq at the art school I took classes at, and I've attempted drawing on an iPad a few times.
The softness of the glass feels very nice to work with, but yeah, a bit slippery compared to the surface of your average Intuos or Inspiroy. Your pen basically glides right over the screen — which could really be taken as either a positive or a negative, depending on how you draw and what kind of feel you prefer. For instance I have a bit of a rough pen grip, so I'm usually pressing down pretty hard with the nib and doing that on a super-smooth surface can feel kinda shaky IMO. (And you're really not supposed to apply too much pressure on them anyway since it can scratch up the glass, lol.)
I also don't really like having my hand/wrist in the way of what I'm doing, but y'know, if you do a lot of traditional art on paper then that probably isn't going to bother you.

It's not for me personally, I just find it a bit jarring on my muscle memory and at this point I don't think I could make the switch from my screenless one even if I wanted to. But don't let that intimidate ya if you ever feel like trying it! There are advantages to both, I wouldn't say one is better than the other; just depends on your preference and what works for you, really.

What would you guys think of doing some sort of secret santa for the holidays? I’m not sure how it would work but I’d participate in one :3
...Yes. Yes we probably should get around to that. Blanc and I have been discussing running something of the sort for months at this point.

I know @Blanc uses a screen display tablet, maybe she would have some insight that we don't?
Perhaps I do! :bulbaLol: I actually grew up using a non screen tablet (an Intuos5) and switched to a Cintiq 22HD and then a Cintiq Mobile Studio Pro 16 (what I use now) so I can give pros and cons for both!

If you have poor hand-eye coordination like me, an on screen tablet works wonders. In the past, on-screen tablets were a bit more expensive, but they seem to be more and more accessible these days given iPads and such, which is great.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, of course, different folks require different things both in art hardware and tactility, ergonomics and the like.

On-surface tablets
Pros

▲ Tend to be lighter, more portable (not including ipads which of course)
▲ I'm personally indifferent, but I've had friends tell me they like the sensation of the surface of these more.
▲ Their simplicity allows for less complications (not always but usually) such as less driver issues, less cords involved, no need for battery life troubles, less extra equipment etc.
▲ Though on-screen tablets are cheaper than they once were, on-surface is still at its core the cheaper option.

Cons

▽ The surface can be scratched up. Protective films for these exist but they're kind of hard to come by.
▽ Nibs wear down much faster. When I say much-- I mean it. I've been using the same nib on my Cintiq for over 2 years and it has only just begun to wear down. On an on-surface tablet I would go through nibs every 6 months or less.
▽ Drivers can become obsolete. A lot of brands are moving toward on-screen these days, and so on-surface tablets are not yet a dying breed but losing support-- especially if your tablet type is a niche one a company carries. Sometimes cheap can mean EOS, so bear this in mind when shopping.
▽ As mentioned earlier, if you're someone like me who struggles with hand-eye coordination, you may have to sort of 'train' yourself to use these tablets and continue to do so so you don't fall out of habit.

On-screen tablets
Pros
▲ You will rarely need to buy or invest in nibs, if you do so it'll likely be just to try the different types such as the felt or stroke nibs.
▲ As expected, much closer to the feeling of drawing on paper (minus the smooth, glassy surface). The glass surface is a plus for me personally, I like how crisp it feels. I heard some dislike it though! Try changing your nib if that's the case.
▲ More pen pressure control. This always varies per tablet regardless, but I find that on-screen tablets tend to have a more vast range of pen pressure than on-surface.
▲ Depending on what sort of on-screen tablet you get, can be pretty portable and even detached from your monitor completely!
▲ Overall, tech is moving towards these being the norm and they are often the more preferred 'artist' experience, you won't need to worry much about your tablet losing support or service in this day and age.

Cons

▽ Even though there are cheaper options for them these days, they still tend to be the more expensive choice.
▽ A more complex hardware means more bells and whistles. Depending on what kind you get be prepared to adjust settings as you need even right out of the box.
▽ As true as it is for on-surface tablets, they can also be scratched up. I urge anyone investing in these to buy a protective film cover or two as soon as possible before using it extensively. Thankfully, these are far easier to come by for on-screen tablets.
▽ Aside from the price of buying the tablet, be prepared to invest in more quality of life equipment such as an extra power cord, a glove to keep your hand from smudging the glass surface, screen cleaner, a stand if needed... etc.
▽ More upkeep. I personally advise cleaning your tablet with a proper screen cleaner and microfiber cloth often, keeping the drivers up to date, storing your tablet in a safe and cool place and replacing the protective film when its seen better days.

I feel like iPads are sort of in their own realm here, so I want to stress that iPads aren't included in my analysis here. Anyone who is an iPad user is free to give their own review to tack on, though!

Now I've probably left you worrying about the extra things I've thrown in here, such as screen protectors and gloves. For screen protectors, I cannot recommend Photodon enough. You can ask for a custom screen protector size and all sorts of extra qualities you're looking for in a screen protector. I dunno if they still do it now (probably!), but first time purchasers were given a free screen protector kit, a kit that included gloves to properly install your screen protector, screen cleaner, a microfiber cloth and a static spray. If they still do this, it's genuinely so helpful to your tablet upkeep. Remember to apply your protective cover in an open, non dusty room and take your time with it!

As for gloves, I'm talking specifically about Drawing Gloves. Wacom sells some on their site, but I'm pretty sure every major tablet carrier has some. If you're like me and have super tiny hands, look into importing from Japan or another eastern storefront as they tend to carry smaller sizes.

That's about all I can think of... And yes! Dawning and I will resume getting on that o/

That reminds me of what was discussed here in july
We could also look at different types of collabs too as the previous two have been the group drawing where we each drew characters to add to a background image but we could also do something like themes, for example if we had a Gym Leader theme we could each choose a leader and create art based on that character or we could possibly randomise the character for each participant?
This is a very cute idea! Though I was honestly thinking more along the lines of art trades or randomized art trades of a secret santa variety (randomly assigned person, draw what they put as their desired subjects). I think collab drawing topics like gym leaders and Pokemon like you stated would be pretty fun team challenges though. My gears are turning… It all sounds possible!

I started screenless and moved over to screen and in my personal opinion it was an upgrade.

Screenless wasn't bad. But it takes time to get used to, as you are looking away from the surface you're drawing on to see what you are drawing. It at least helps that you can see the cursor so you know where you are hovering.

With screen tablets i feel like i draw far more accurately and have better control over the line i am drawing. Though some would argue having your hand in the way of your drawing can be a problem.

Hey guys petition to make these the new reaction icons lol

im making more, and this is my design of myself as a gym leader
IMG_1152.png

Hey um. 2 things

one: @sleepwick do you have enough ships for your template? I just don’t wanna start mine at the same time as yours lol

two: I wanna make an art piece based around these lyrics but I can’t figure out what

“Light up the night, we were made to be stars
But it burns like hell to be Vega”

from ed Sheerans song Vega

Back
Top Bottom