• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Articuno

Fig

Reaction score
Well, since we already have the other two legendary birds, I figure we might as well begin covering the remaining three...

As a first, general comment : it's quite obvious that these birds have control over the weather and elements in some form. They are all also legendary beings even within the world of pokémon, their existence generally considered a myh (Prof Oak in Pokémon Emergency). However, I don't think we should assume that their representations and everything in the pokédex about them is true. The notion, for example, that Zapdos only appears when thunderclouds part was clearly dispelled over the course of the anime (see "The Power of One").

Moreoever, I hold the legendary birds to physical considerations in the following comments. While one COULD make the argument that they are mythical beings and thus do not need a tail to fly or any such, I think it makes for much more interesting discussion to hold them to natural laws the same way as everything else and not let them get away with "magically" avoiding such laws.

ARTICUNO
Red/Blue/Leaf Green : A legendary bird Pokemon that is said to appear to doomed people who are lost in icy mountains.
Yellow : A legendary bird Pokemon. It freezes water that is contained in winter air and makes it snow.
Gold : The magnificent, seemingly translucent wings of this legendary bird Pokemon are said to be made of ice.
Silver : One of the legendary bird Pokemon, it chills moisture in the atmosphere to create snow while flying.
Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald : Articuno is a legendary bird Pokemon that can control ice. The flapping of its wings chills the air. As a result, it is said that when this Pokemon flies, snow will fall.
Fire Red : One of the legendary bird pokémon. With its long tail trailing behind, its flying form is magnificent.

First, of all the birds, Articuno is generally the closest to the form of a raptor. Its head is reminiscent of some ospreys (see pic here), while the long tail (though the wavy form it is constantly given in the picture can only be pure fantasy; a bird's tail is meant for steering, and a wavy tail such as this would send the bird flapping out of control every ten second) is reminiscent of some other bird of prey. The small beak is definitely hawk-like in appearance.

The wings, despite popular notions noted above, likely are NOT made of ice. Frozen water does NOT make for good wing material; it is very heavy, and wings (and feather) by their nature needs to be light. While I'll grant that Articuno is probably very cold to the touch, I'll go on record as saying that it's feather are probably very similar in appearance to the membrane found on the wings of such varieties of butterflies as this. The jagged shape, while not entirely impossible, would likely then be anime artistic license.

This pokémon, according to legends, dwells in mountains - a characteristics at once reminiscent of legendary creatures (as mountains are generally the less civilized areas of the world, thus the ones where legendary beings would be best able to avoid detection - note how the semi-legendary Absol, in RSE, recycle that theme), and of the great birds of prey (eagles, most noticeably).

The myth about it appearing to doomed beings lost in mountains seems likely to be just that, a myth, linked to this pokémon's alleged ability to create ice while flying. However, it is quite possible this is the truth as well. WE have only one example of a "doomed people lost in icy mountains" - Miyamoto, Jessie's mother - and I'm not sure wether or not any evidence for Articuno's presence there and then exists.

Well in the game, the sprite seems to have normal wings. To me, they look feathery, and its chest seems to be made of down-like feathers.

As for the tail, it seems very phoenix-like. In a lot of older images of phoenixes, they seem to have the same long, loose tail. As for a purpose, I don't see any viable one since it's one of a kind. If there were more, I'd suggest it was for attracting a mate. As is...I've no clue.

Granted, although we're trying to stick to what is physically possible.

Very long tails are not unknown in birds. (see the hummingbird and parrots for example (see here the tail of a magnificent hyacinth macaw)) To me, it's most likely that Articuno has such a very long feather; the waving effect is, as mentioned, most likely a fantasy.

Last edited:
Ah. I knew it looked familiar. Behold, the mold for which Articuno was made:

Lady%20Amberst's%20Pheasant.jpg

At the very least, it gives an idea of how such a bendible tail would be plausible.

Ah, true. I had completely forgotten about those. Alright then, a bendible tail is legitimate.

Check the sticky up above for some more pictures. This is an artists rendition of Articuno. Apparently he also thought that Articuno resembled a bird of prey(here, it's more like a falcon or eagle).

pg10frm1.gif

pg9frm2.gif

Any thoughts on Articuno's feeding habits? The Seafoam Islands are a plentiful source of Seels, Dewgongs and other sea creatures. They would be largely resistant to ice attacks, so perhaps Articuno is more of a physical type attacker. Those sharp claws and beak would help a lot. If we rely on present bird of prey, Articuno would be likely to hunt from the sky or from a nearby roost. It would occasionally swoop down from the sky and tear at its prey...

Merely speculation of course.

Wow. Those are awesome pictures :)

Ah, Neil Aschliman's Articuno. His Pikachu wasn't too good, in my opinion, but his Articuno is very spiffy.

If Articuno is a raptor, it likely eats Spoink, Teddiursa, Delibird, and some yummy Shuckle, as it lives in the mountains. Perhaps it has found a way to get Geodude meat? Krabby, baby Seel, migrating Pidgey/Pidgeotto, and fish Pokémon probably aren't off the menu, either. It may eat fruit as well, as fruit grows even in the Arctic during certain times of the year.

I wonder what the long tail is for. Perhaps it doesn't really exist, but those who saw it thought that some trailing sparkling ice must be a long magnificent tail. As few have seen it, a forensic artist trying to draw one may have gotten this description, and it has stuck ever since. Or perhaps it's a Lady Amherst's Pheasant/hawk mix that aids its own flying by using very limited psychic powers.

If we're going to keep it realistic, how are we going to explain its ability to control ice? (We could go with "magic"....)

I think the basic definition we've agreed on is that pokémon's POWERS are supernatural, whereas Pokémon bodies are (with some unavoidable exception : the ghosts) as natural as we can make them.

in Super Smash Brothers Melee, Articuno says it's made of feathers
so I don't think it's made of ice

XD

That's cute. Though I think we can safely disregard MPJ as a serious source of information ;-).

Maybe it uses its limited psychic powers to put it on. Or it has a friend. Or wings that can act like hands.

Articuno's long, beautiful tail feathers remind me of the male quetzal bird of Central America. I've found a great picture of one for you guys, but I can't paste it here for some reason, which is a shame.

I draw Articuno with a medium-length, straight tail which comes to a point when spread (i.e. the top two feathers are longest, outer leading edges shortest), as the wavy tail doesn't make sense IRL. Although, feathers by their nature, even flight feathers, are not solid and stiff. Yes, folks, newsflash: FEATHERS BEND. Feathers are made of keratin, same stuff as claws, hooves, horns, scales, fur, and your hair and fingernails. The Lady Amhearst pheasant pictured above has his tail scrunched up against a bush, which is bending the otherwise straight feathers. Birds which are less focused on flying, like the mostly ground-dwelling Lady Amhearst pheasant, DO have more bendable and ornamental tail feathers though; i.e. they are less utilitarian.

Unfortunately for Articuno, the VERY long, ornamental tail he is drawn with in canon--especially being on such a huge bird--does NOT make him a good candidate for being a bird of prey, at least, of warm-blooded and/or fast-moving prey. All feathers long and pointed means he doesn't have a very good turning radius, and a hunter needs to be quick and agile in the air if he wants to eat! (I am sure this is not something GameFreak would have thought of, however.) I can definitely see Arti eating slow-moving Shuckle, Krabby, turtle Pokemon, insect Pokemon, and the like, though--and for those he can make use of the possible hooked beak he's drawn with.

As for the wings--flesh, blood, bone, skin, and feathers. We've seen as much in the way the wings behave. (What's this nonsense about butterfly wings?!) The bit about "seemingly translucent wings" is easily explained by knowing that feather vanes are NOT solid and let let light through, and by conjecturing that Arti's feathers have a very high natural iridescence (for which one can refer to the Lady Amhearst pic again), perhaps extending to iridescence on the underside of at least the wing feathers.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom