• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

As Kanto lover, an old school fan, I feel overwhelmed by Nostalgia

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Fact: When I became obsessed with Pokémon, the TV show, there were only 151 Pokémon and we knew nothing about contests, coordinator stuffs, anything else than a basic Pokémon Trainer and Pokémon League. For the old school fans, there was only Ash, Misty and Brock.

For sure, when Pokémon has added new regions, characters, Pokémon and myths, old school fans have missed what they had back in day #1, what made it all special for them. The original Pokémon and the original crew meant more than anything to them. At least to many if not all. For a confession I would have to say that I know Misty is not as good dimensional as other characters, but it doesn't mean that much to me. 5 year old me wouldn't care that much about characteristic developments and dimensions of a fictional character. I just love her for making my childhood days better.

All the cards are on the table, none of this justifies the way GameFreak goes with nostalgia at every chance they get. Do we really have one time that we didn't receive it? Furthermore, the old school fans who stopped following Pokémon after Kanto days take the franchise down now thanks to Pokémon GO. They fell for the little game that is easily accessable for everyone and simple to play. GameFreak realised they could make a good fortune out of it and they decided to "divide" main games for those fans and hardcore fans.

I am honestly disgusted to hear more about Pokémon Let's Go. Not only they threw the worst pattern for a main game of Pokémon, they also begin to destroy the image of Kanto just the way it is back in the day. Having Kanto in Johto post game is fine considering Pokémon was not meant to have a third generation and they wanted to end it all with a nice touch of what the region had become in 3 years. I am fine by FireRed & LeafGreen remakes for the improved graphics and countless fixed bugs. Kanto is put back again in HeartGold & SoulSilver, which is also completely fine, considering how well it was dealt with. But beyond this point, things got a bit out of control. Kanto exclusive Alola forms for 20th anniversary, advertising the movies using the original movies, now getting back in Kanto for like hundredth time just for taking advantage of nostalgia...

It is just too much for me. I would have preferred more dynamic franchise where once the region is over, it is over. I want to see player characters of each game main character of the animé show as well. I want to see how the things have improved rather than having the same thing for a remake, a third version, third/fourth versions. I appreciate Unova for one thing, if not more, that we have had sequels for once for GF not going easy on putting back something to sell.

One of the most boring things about Pokémon is that they can't let go of what is there and they can't replace them with something new. I love the Pokémon world and everything within, but it is just exhausting to see the same characters, same regions, same stuff once in every while. I prefer to have a new region with 8 gyms and Pokémon League pattern rather than seeing another Kanto throwback and same characters in the end of the day.

I personally hope Let's Go is an outlet for Kanto pandering, and Gen 8 will focus more on new Pokemon like BW did. Like, I dunno, have the game split into two new regions like Johto and Kanto in GSC/HGSS, where the region in the main campaign just has new Pokemon, but the region you unlock for the post-game has a mix of new and old.

Definitely not impressed by what I've seen of LGPE so far, I was hoping for a true Kanto sequel someday but instead it's extremely simplified and targeted at the GO audience.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom