• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash Possibly Getting a Mega Ring (Possible Proof, Thoughts + Usage in the Series )

EliteTrainerXeos

Champion
Reaction score
With XY035 that aired two weeks ago tomorrow, there was something that I noticed about the opening for that episode which I'm sure quite a few people have also noticed as well. The attached image below shows a comparison of the 2nd Opening, Mega Volt from Episodes 29-34 and Episode 35.

Mega Ring comparison..png

You can see that the opening depicts the Mega Ring at the beginning of the episode as Black, which is the standard color This was done from XY029-XY034, however with XY035, the color was changed to blue. There are a few reasons this has been changed;

-To signify that the Korrina arc has now concluded and that it's back on with the main story.
This is highly unlikely as it's something a lot of people have seemed to overlook.

-A possible error in the animation.
Up until this point the opening has been kept the same and hasn't been tampered or edited with, so why would they change it unless there was a valid reason to coming up in the story.

-Ash receiving a Mega Ring.
This is the likeliest case due to several things which I pointed out on the comparison image that I did. With the Shalour Gym match taking place in the somewhere in the mid 40's, there's possibly a new opening happening either before or after the gym match with Korrina. This could be a small hint towards both Ash getting a Mega Ring and a new opening after the Summer Camp Arc.

As it stands now, Ash only has Charizard, Sceptile and Heracross as potential choices for Mega Evolution partners. It doesn't seem likely that he'll get the Mega Stones for them in Kalos so Professor Oak could end up being given them and they could already be put into an object which they are wearing for when they potentially get transferred to Ash.

With that said, people have seem to forget that a slew of new Mega Evolution's is on the rise with ORAS. Diancie has marked that the 6th Gen Pokemon are eligible to receive Mega Evolution's now and this could also mean that some of the 5th Gen Pokemon could get them as well. With this in mind, it's possible that some Pokemon on Ash's current Kalos team could receive a Mega Evolution.

Greninja is obviously a pretty common choice. Not only has it come 1st in polls in terms of design and usage, but it was a character planned to be in the new Smash Bros. game way before X/Y were ever released. The anime company for the series is always being kept updated by GameFreak about the games and as such a Mega for Greninja is still within reach. (Unless it doesn't evolve T.T)

Hawlucha is another choice and so is Talonflame, but we don't know what Ash might end up catching later down the line, nor what GF have planned in terms of Mega Evolution's.

I hope you guys enjoyed reading this, but remember that all of this is purely speculation so feel free to express your thoughts and opinions on the topic.

Re: Ash Possibly Getting a Mega Ring (Possible Proof, Thoughts + Usage in the Series

It's either Mega Charizard Y (most likely) or Mega Sceptile (2nd most likely)

Re: Ash Possibly Getting a Mega Ring (Possible Proof, Thoughts + Usage in the Series

I agree with Solayoh . If Ash does really get a Mega , then I can't see any other pokemon besides those 2 . I'd give Sceptile like 30-40% , with all the ORAS and Ash not having any grass types yet , while Charizard 60-70% if not more. ;D

It's either Mega Charizard Y (most likely) or Mega Sceptile (2nd most likely)

I agree with Solayoh . If Ash does really get a Mega , then I can't see any other pokemon besides those 2 . I'd give Sceptile like 30-40% , with all the ORAS and Ash not having any grass types yet , while Charizard 60-70% if not more. ;D

I'm pretty sure that one of those will get focus, but try to be a bit more open to what Mega's ORAS could potentially bring that Ash could utilize.

First and foremost, I think it's pretty obvious that Ash will eventually mega evolve one of his Pokemon. If he doesn't, it'll certainly be one of the troll-iest things the writers have done.

I could see Ash receiving a key stone after he beats Korrina, but a mega stone probably won't come about for awhile. Given Charizard's immense popularity and how much anime attention M-Charizard X has gotten, it seems most likely to me that Ash will be the one to debut/use M-Charizard Y. M-Sceptile is also a possibility because of OR/AS, but it's not as likely as the former. And unfortunately, Heracross has the smallest chances to mega evolve, since it's not as popular as the other two and doesn't really serve a purpose aside from showcasing a mega Pokemon. As for his Kalos team, I suppose that M-Greninja is an option, but only if GF is planning on giving mega evolutions to the Kalos starters, or any other Kalos Pokemon for that matter.

But, I would like to point out that Ash could always get multiple mega stones. There's nothing that says he'll only get one stone, though given how rare they are in the anime, I think he's has better chances of getting none over two. Also, I just want to say that I'll be disappointed if Ash gets a mega ring. If he gets a keystone, I want him to place his in the bill of his hat. :<

First and foremost, I think it's pretty obvious that Ash will eventually mega evolve one of his Pokemon. If he doesn't, it'll certainly be one of the troll-iest things the writers have done.

I could see Ash receiving a key stone after he beats Korrina, but a mega stone probably won't come about for awhile. Given Charizard's immense popularity and how much anime attention M-Charizard X has gotten, it seems most likely to me that Ash will be the one to debut/use M-Charizard Y. M-Sceptile is also a possibility because of OR/AS, but it's not as likely as the former. And unfortunately, Heracross has the smallest chances to mega evolve, since it's not as popular as the other two and doesn't really serve a purpose aside from showcasing a mega Pokemon. As for his Kalos team, I suppose that M-Greninja is an option, but only if GF is planning on giving mega evolutions to the Kalos starters, or any other Kalos Pokemon for that matter.

But, I would like to point out that Ash could always get multiple mega stones. There's nothing that says he'll only get one stone, though given how rare they are in the anime, I think he's has better chances of getting none over two. Also, I just want to say that I'll be disappointed if Ash gets a mega ring. If he gets a keystone, I want him to place his in the bill of his hat. :<
Charizard is pretty much inevitable, but Sceptile has a chance given ORAS is coming soon.

They are rare, but they can't be that hard to find. Two Lucarionite were found which means it's not like there's only one of each Mega Stone. So far these Mega Stones have been found (In order of the Pokemon's appearance)

Blazikenite
Absolite (Strongest Mega Evolution is considered Canon albeit a special)
Charizardite X (Strongest Mega Evolution is considered Canon albeit a special)
Unknown Mega Stone (That Alan found)
Garchompite (Strongest Mega Evolution is considered Canon albeit a special)
Blastoiseite (Strongest Mega Evolution is considered Canon albeit a special)
Gardevoirite
Lucarioite (2 of them)
Mawilite

I'm pretty sure there will be plenty around, and as for Ash's old Pokemon, I'm sure The other Professors have been handed them which will eventually make their way to Professor Oak.

Well climbing the walls pretty much confirms that the group will be visiting the tower of mastery which I think points to Ash getting a mega ring. As for what pokémon will mega evolve I think it's likely that it will be Sceptile because of ORAS.

Last edited:

It wouldn't make sense if Ash didn't get a Mega Ring at all, but they can go many routes with him and Mega Evolutions.

Going by Megas for Pokemon he already owns, he will likely get Mega Sceptile or Mega Charizard Y, possibly both. Mega Sceptile will come in probably to tie in with OR/AS and Mega Charizard Y if he is going to face Alan at any point. This is the most likely route they will take.

However, if the writers aren't going to bring back any of Ash's old Pokemon to be his Mega Evolution, then it's possible that he might catch a Pokemon from an older generation that he didn't catch and hasn't already been shown in the anime yet, or have one who's Mega has yet to be revealed, most likely the latter.

It's probably either Mega Charizard Y or Mega Sceptile for ORAS. I can't think of any other Megas.

OR, Alan might be appearing in a nearby arc soon.

Mega Charizard Y is practically a guarantee at this point. It's far too popular and they haven't showcased Mega Charizard Y yet, so they're probably saving that for Ash. There's a good chance that he could get Mega Sceptile in order to hype up OR/AS, but it's not as likely as Mega Charizard Y. Mega Heracross probably won't happen since it isn't that popular.

So I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't expect Satoshi to ever get a Mega Evolved pokemon?

The way I see it, Mega Evolution is being presented as something for the other Trainers to have. The Champion has one. A Gym Leader has one. One of the members of the Four Heavenly Emperors has one. And the way they're being presented is barely a step below legendary pokemon. I just don't see the show ever giving one of these powerhouses to our serial League loser.

Besides, this show has always favored David over Goliath and having Satoshi defeat Mega Evolved pokemon with his team of "regular" pokemon fits that narrative perfectly.

So I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't expect Satoshi to ever get a Mega Evolved pokemon?

The way I see it, Mega Evolution is being presented as something for the other Trainers to have. The Champion has one. A Gym Leader has one. One of the members of the Four Heavenly Emperors has one. And the way they're being presented is barely a step below legendary pokemon. I just don't see the show ever giving one of these powerhouses to our serial League loser.

Besides, this show has always favored David over Goliath and having Satoshi defeat Mega Evolved pokemon with his team of "regular" pokemon fits that narrative perfectly.

My thoughts exactly, I too doubt we'll ever be seeing Ash with his very own Mega ring, though I'd love to be wrong.

I can see the battle with Korrina somehow serving as some sort of confirmation for Ash that Mega Pokémon can be defeated with normal Pokémon if you only try hard enough, thus triggering him train extra hard henceforth so he'll be able to battle other Mega Pokémon in the future. In fact, I doubt we'll ever see someone in the main cast owning a Mega ring of their own, other than possibly May and Iris if they cameo (especially Iris considering her role in the games).

I really, really want to be wrong about all this though as I'd love for Ash to actually get his own Mega Evolution.

btw, a new Mega Ring was shown in today's opening, a red one.

No way. Ash getting one at some point is almost a certainty in my opinion. If we don't see him with Mega Charizard Y, I'd be shocked. As others have said, with ORAS around the corner Sceptile could be a good bet too, though my money is on Charizard first.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but like people have said with ORAS coming soon and to expect more mega's, I'm also expecting more Mega's when the sequels/3rd installment/ Pokemon Z comes around. You never know, we could see a Mega Greninja in that game.

But anyway, as this region has so much focus on Mega Evolution I would be shocked if they didn't give the main character one.

I agree with you, the writers have always depicted Ash as the underdog, always managing to defeat things larger than his with his smaller Pokemon, and having Ash defeat Megas with only regular Pokemon to prove it more. It's the unchanging nature of the anime at this point, but honestly, we have to wait and see what happens...

While I think you put this a little cynically I agree for the most part. It just doesn't seem to fit Ash/Satoshi's style, and besides I think it's a bit more interesting to see him try to come up with ways to stay ahead as the number of megas keeps going up. I had kind of hoped that he would get a mega Lucario but that dream has been dashed.

And for those of you who think that Mega charizard Y is going to be showcased though Ash my theory is that the other mega stone that Allen found is charizardite y so he's probably going to use both (even if it doesn't really make sense for him to do that).

On the other hand if I am wrong and Ash does use a charizard y it will be interesting to see how he uses drought.

At this moment, of the mega evolutions we do have, I think Sceptile is the most likely for Ash.

Charizard-X has been overexposed so much, and I can't really see why Ash's Charizard would become Mega Charizard Y (since I feel Ash's Charizard would be more of a Fire/Dragon rather than enhanced Fire/Flying) and I doubt Ash will get Charizard X because it's been overexposed.

Ash is often really screwed over in regards to new mechanics of the game being introduced into the anime. Or even same old mechanics or anime introduced possibilities. I cannot imagine why Ash would be so excited about mega evolutions, only for the writers to say "Nope, Ash is a loser who doesn't get to have a Mega Evolutions."

I mean I'm sick of this mentality of how Ash having strong Pokemon somehow underlies his position as the underdog. I think Ash has lost far more than he's won, that even if he had Arceus, Mega Mewtwo X and Y, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Garchomp, and White Kyurem, Ash would still be an underdog, and still lose to a lowly Sunkern that doesn't even have an attack move.

To think that a Mega Evolution would somehow make Ash some super unstoppable force, is rather ridiculous. Because the writers/executive producers always control the outcome of a battle. Ash's hypothetical Mega Charizard Y could lose to a Paras if they wanted to.

Last edited:

At this moment, of the mega evolutions we do have, I think Sceptile is the most likely for Ash.

Charizard-X has been overexposed so much, and I can't really see why Ash's Charizard would become Mega Charizard Y (since I feel Ash's Charizard would be more of a Fire/Dragon rather than enhanced Fire/Flying) and I doubt Ash will get Charizard X because it's been overexposed.
You say this like overexposure has stopped them from continuing to shove the same Pokemon down our throats over and over again :p However, I do agree that I can see Sceptile possibly receiving a Mega Evolution at some point during the series. Sadly, I don't see Heracross being given the opportunity too. It would be interesting if he caught a different Pokemon (perhaps a Hoenn one?) that's capable of Mega Evolution. It'd be killing two birds with one stone.

I'd say there's a good chance that if he's getting any Mega Evolution, it'd be Charizard X. Mega Evolution is all about popularity and fanservice, and the most popular Pokemon Ash owns is Charizard. On top of that, it's more Kanto nostalgia. Now why Charizard X and not Charizard Y? For one, there's Fletchinder, it has the exact same type combination as Charizard, and while they have been known to repeat types from time to time, I don't think they'd go as far as having the exact same dual type combination. By using Charizard X, they can show off its Dragon typing a little more, maybe have it learn Dragon Claw or something. Secondly, it's the more popular of the two Mega Charizards, so of course that's the one they're going to show off. I suppose he could get Mega Sceptile for ORAS references, but I don't think he'd be quite as marketable as Charizard X.

Basically, I think there's maybe a 60% chance that he'll get Charizard X, 30% chance that he'll get nothing, and 10% chance he'll get Mega Sceptile.

You say this like overexposure has stopped them from continuing to shove the same Pokemon down our throats over and over again :p However, I do agree that I can see Sceptile possibly receiving a Mega Evolution at some point during the series. Sadly, I don't see Heracross being given the opportunity too. It would be interesting if he caught a different Pokemon (perhaps a Hoenn one?) that's capable of Mega Evolution. It'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Time will tell if he even gets one in the end(if not more) , but if he does - I can't see him catching a Hoenn pokemon and having it as his first Mega.When i imagine Ash mega evolving , i can't see something like a Sableye in that position . It has to be someone that is more of a powerhouse , and has had a bond for a while , so it brings back to Charizard Y more then X or Sceptile . I doubt that Froakie has a chance , because if it evolves in to Greninja - that would be a lot already.

So the Blue Mega Ring theory is debunked. Okay.

However, after his battle with Grant, Serena did say they should go see the Tower of Mastery, so it's still possible to some degree.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom