• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's classmates/companions.

It would be a disaster if they squeeze in 5 other people with Ash on a journey. They can barely handle a group of 3-4 people. I can only imagine all the poor character development. This is all assuming the school stuff is temporary and he'll actually get to travel around Alola and do the Island Trials.
They wouldn't be doing this if they didn't think they could make it work. If they want to give ash a travelling group of mallow, lillie, sophocles, lana, and kiawe including ash himself. Then don't you think they'll figure out a way to make it work? You have to keep this in mind.

They can't please everybody, but if they can please most people then I would consider that a sucess. Now please stop the negativity and give the show a few episodes. You'll just get a glimpse of their personalities and the screen time they'll each get. Then it'll be up to YOU to decide if they handled it as well as they could

Do I think they will be able to handle such a large group? Absolutely not. It's completely unrealistic to think they can develop each character on a somewhat equal level. If anything most of the group will receive the 'Brock' treatment. They'll have their moment to shine but fade to the background afterwards. This has always been a concern every time a new series airs. It's not new and S&M isn't any different. The issue becomes even more apparent once you realize there could possibly be more travel companions with Ash this time around. Let's not even think about all their Pokemon....

Do I think they will be able to handle such a large group? Absolutely not. It's completely unrealistic to think they can develop each character on a somewhat equal level. If anything most of the group will receive the 'Brock' treatment. They'll have their moment to shine but fade to the background afterwards. This has always been a concern every time a new series airs. It's not new and S&M isn't any different. The issue becomes even more apparent once you realize there could possibly be more travel companions with Ash this time around. Let's not even think about all their Pokemon....
Well, if they each get their moment to shine...that's character development isn't it? Even if it's just an episode dedicated to that one character, that's character development. So you're argument is falling flat.

Of course they're not all going to get the same character development as ash, he's the main character and the primary focus of the franchise, the show is about him.

But if you're going to sit here and tell me that most of these characters are going to be tossed aside then you're plain wrong. Even if 3 of the 5 get good development then i'm a happy camper. Now I personally think that sophocles and lana are probably going to be brushed aside due mainly to how little of them we saw in the trailers. But hey! At least there's a good chance that mallow, lillie, and kiawe will get most of the focus. But that's just speculation.

Sure it's character development. That's not my issue with all this, though. My worry is the post-development. We'll probably never see them do much afterwards. Hell, there's no way to know when they'll receive said development. Will some receive it at the beginning or middle or end?

It's funny you bring up that only 3 out of the 5 might receive decent development. That just sort of proves my point. That's the max amount of people that would travel with Ash in a group. Which just means any more additions to the group will make it bloated and unnecessary. Who knows maybe you're right and they'll somehow find a way to develop each one of them equally(besides Ash). I'll eat my words if it ever happens, but I'll remain skeptical, till then.

Sure it's character development. That's not my issue with all this, though. My worry is the post-development. We'll probably never see them do much afterwards. Hell, there's no way to know when they'll receive said development. Will some receive it at the beginning or middle or end?

It's funny you bring up that only 3 out of the 5 might receive decent development. That just sort of proves my point. That's the max amount of people that would travel with Ash in a group. Which just means any more additions to the group will make it bloated and unnecessary. Who knows maybe you're right and they'll somehow find a way to develop each one of them equally(besides Ash). I'll eat my words if it ever happens, but I'll remain skeptical, till then.

But that just brings us back to what I said. If he does travel with 5 people. Why would they try it if they didn't think they could pull it off? You still haven't answered that

I give SM a go with a few episodes. Maybe about ten episodes? It is possible I am jumping to conclusions so I should give it a chance. The animation on Ash might grow on me.

If they think it's possible, then by all means let's seem them try. Perhaps they'll prove my pessimistic opinion incorrect and make me rethink things, but only if they actually pull it off.

At the end of the day, I don't think all of them will travel with Ash.

I think if the storyline develops as I predict, Kiawe, Mallow, Lana and Sophocles will become full-fledged Trial Captains leaving Lillie as the traditional travelling companion.

Just Lillie? I doubt that.
Well obviously I don't expect a duo of travelling companions.

They could introduce Hau as a companion (or possibly recurring rival) or maybe someone else entirely.

They could introduce Hau as a companion (or possibly recurring rival) or maybe someone else entirely.
Or they could just use one of the four characters previously developed in the school arc? Kiawe would be my bet, but it could even be Mallow.

Or they could just use one of the four characters previously developed in the school arc? Kiawe would be my bet, but it could even be Mallow.
Eh, I guess they could do it.

It'd be basically like the gym leaders travelling with Ash, and they'd simply need someone to replace them as Trial Captains. Mallow seems like a likely option, but it all depends on how each of the character develops during the school arc.

Question:Is Lillie still going to bond with you-know-which-Pokémon?
I'm asking if Lillie will still try and bond with Cosmog (the thing in her bag in the games) in the Anime, or if they'll just ignore that part of her character completely.

Question:Is Lillie still going to bond with you-know-which-Pokémon?
I'm asking if Lillie will still try and bond with Cosmog (the thing in her bag in the games) in the Anime, or if they'll just ignore that part of her character completely.
It depends.

Lillie doesn't even seem to have her bag with her in SM anime.

There are three possibilities:

1. Lillie already has it, but the writers are keeping it from us.
2. Lillie doesn't have it, but will get it down the line.
3. That aspect of Lillie will be completely ignored.

Safe to say, I'm hoping for either 1 or 2.

It depends.

Lillie doesn't even seem to have her bag with her in SM anime.

There are three possibilities:

1. Lillie already has it, but the writers are keeping it from us.
2. Lillie doesn't have it, but will get it down the line.
3. That aspect of Lillie will be completely ignored.

Safe to say, I'm hoping for either 1 or 2.

Yeah, I'm hoping for one of those two options as well. Considering that Lillie does play a key part of the storyline based on her information on the official website and her possible connection to the Ultra Beasts, I'd hope that they wouldn't ignore any important aspects of her character like that. But the anime has been known to do that with other characters and it does tend to do its own thing a lot of the time, so that third choice is still possible.

Well, I just found something on r/pokemon. Someone claimed that Gary and Serena will join Ash in S/M. They said that this guy leaked Ash's loss at the Kalos league and the beginning of the TF arc. This, I believe, was the returning character leak that I posted earlier.

Hmm, I speculate that this season will have ferocious shipping wars, and have a 34% chance of a harem/multi fic upswing.

Well, I just found something on r/pokemon. Someone claimed that Gary and Serena will join Ash in S/M. They said that this guy leaked Ash's loss at the Kalos league and the beginning of the TF arc. This, I believe, was the returning character leak that I posted earlier.
I still can't see any substance to this - you're saying that someone said that someone else said .etc.

Can you provide a source this time?
I remember him posting about a leak with other unbelievable info. I asked him for a source back then and he never gave one as far as I can remember...

Hmmm, it seems that you post rumors on here to get your minute of fame and don't provide any sources. Can we get a link at least? And when people ask you for a source you don't respond, that's not very fair. If you don't have a source to back it up and are just pulling stuff out of your butt please don't post it.

I believe this is the source he got it from, although i'm not sure

View: https://twitter.com/AmourTheorizer/status/792139329699143680

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom