• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Ash's Shiny Noctowl

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
So a link that was shared in the discussions at GPX+ has relit my flame for the first two generations of the anime after it's been years since I watched it and something has caught my interest.

Of all the times Ash whips out his shiny Noctowl, particularly:

1.) During the Ecrutek Gym battle with Morty's Gangar
2.) To assist an older Noctowl in safely landing the plane which flew Ash and Co. to Olivine.
Especially in that second instance when the pilot even commented:

"Hey that younger Noctowl's not bad."

Not a single reaction to the fact that it's shiny! I in fact just watched the plane episode and was anticipating it the entire time, this old dude was a Noctowl fan! What gives?
And yet aspects like Sudowoodo's mimic and an usually powerful execution of even the most common attacks (Ex. the Murkrow trio's Double Team in 'All that Glitters') gets attention.
That seems kinda back-ass-wards to me. Unless somehow shinies are not special in the anime as they are to us as players of the video games.

The fact that Jessie and James view Pikachu as the prize over the shiny Noctowl is the only exception since they are pretty much supposed to be idiots. I have a feeling Cassidy and Butch would figure it out if Ash had to take them on enough. When they performed their "Pokemon Spa" scheme for example they actually examined all their captured pokemon for worthy qualities. They are much more clever that way.

Yeah I notice this is probably the most nostalgic topic here but in my opinion it sucked after Johto(yeah I did give Hoenn and even Sinnoh a try).

Noctowl would be a better nab actually. People never really seemed to give that much of a deal over shinies in the anime. Did anyone even mention the shiny Magneton in that league episode?

When Ash used Noctowl in the Sinnoh league, either Dawn or Barry (I think it was Dawn) said something about Noctowl being a different shiny colour.

When Ash used Noctowl in the Sinnoh league, either Dawn or Barry (I think it was Dawn) said something about Noctowl being a different shiny colour.

It was Barry who said it. I remember it being treated as a pretty big deal when he used the word "shiny" to describe a differently-coloured pokemon in the dub, given that it had only been a fan term up until then.

Noctowl would be a better nab actually. People never really seemed to give that much of a deal over shinies in the anime. Did anyone even mention the shiny Magneton in that league episode?

I am watching it now and the announcer did say:
"But wait, it's a magnaton of a different color."

Hmm didn't get into Sinnoh but might want to check out the episode with the mention. What's the title?

The episode where Barry comments on Noctowl's colour is titled Working on a Right Move!

Noctowl was at risk of being one of Ash's least memorable Pokemon, but the fact that it was Shiny and had a few other quirks made it a good one. I did find the fact no one really commented on its unusual colouring quite strange.

Ash's shiny noctowl is one his pokemon that really stands out to me. Because it's shiny, duh. Really I think that shiny pokemon are seen as rare in the pokemon anime. There are at least 2 episodes in the best wishes series where the characters acknowledge the fact that a pokemon are shiny. The first being "expedition to onix island" where near the end of the episode a shiny onix appears and when Ash and his friends notice it Ash cries out "It's a shiny onix!". The other being "a pokemon of a different color" where Ash and his friends helped Clair look for "a druddigon of a different color" which they all recognize as being rare. Even the 3 team rocket idiots realized it was valuable. Alexa was amazed by it as well. And while it is never referred to as shiny it is.

Yes Barry said, "Hey his Noctowl is a different shiny colour!"

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom