• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

B2/W2 Grievances and Disappointments

Ambipom666

Reaction score
As the title says.

Some people have expressed disappointment with these games over aspects such as what the plot does and doesn't cover for example. What problems do you guys have with the game, if any? Where/How do you think it failed, and why?

While I thought these games were great, had tons of postgame content, and addressed SOME of the loose threads left at the end of the BW plot, the one thing I didn't like was the lack of the BW player characters. They get referenced multiple times, you visit their mother, N wants to thank them, and the Memory Link would have been perfect for a battle against them. You hear about and meet N and his dragon, why not the hero/heroine and opposite dragon who beat them?

While I thought these games were great, had tons of postgame content, and addressed SOME of the loose threads left at the end of the BW plot, the one thing I didn't like was the lack of the BW player characters. They get referenced multiple times, you visit their mother, N wants to thank them, and the Memory Link would have been perfect for a battle against them. You hear about and meet N and his dragon, why not the hero/heroine and opposite dragon who beat them?

I agree with this. It would've been nie to have a red style showdown a la gold/silver

I agree with this. It would've been nie to have a red style showdown a la gold/silver

Totally. They missed a trick there. It's downright illogical that they didn't involve the PCs in some way.

This is a tiny, tiny grievance but I kinda wish they'd given the shiny Dratini Multiscale. I'm not sure why they chose not to. Seems odd to me.
Oh and a slightly larger grievance for me is the overall appearance of the player characters. So, so, so bad.

Totally. They missed a trick there. It's downright illogical that they didn't involve the PCs in some way.

This is a tiny, tiny grievance but I kinda wish they'd given the shiny Dratini Multiscale. I'm not sure why they chose not to. Seems odd to me.
Oh and a slightly larger grievance for me is the overall appearance of the player characters. So, so, so bad.

haha yeah i also agree with that. the pcs have kinda been looking weirder and weirder with each generation. there's always something that ends up bothering me, usually the hair. r/s had like the only decent looking pcs in both genders, imho.

another thing that sorta bothers me, though this is less about the game and more about the dream world, is that since they included pokemon you can get in the game (so you an get the hidden abilities, obviously), is tat i always seem to run into these pokemon i don't need and can never find the pokemon i'm actually looking for (i've been searching for slowpoke and rotom since day one) but i run into ducklett and drilbur a million times. i mean sure its nice to get the hidden abilities for them but half the time its not even worth it.

I didnt like that the Shadow Triad were so easy to beat in battle. I think they shouldve made them tougher. I like that they were able to be battled though.

I too thought the shiny Dratini should have Multiscale. Other than that, I dont really have any problems with the game as of now.

One more thing: where were Ryoku, Bronius, and Giallo? Which Team Plasma faction did they side with?

I was excited when I knew about the Challenge Mode/Easy Mode.When I knew these were version exclusive and not available until post game, I was deeply disappointed in Game Freak.

I was excited when I knew about the Challenge Mode/Easy Mode.When I knew these were version exclusive and not available until post game, I was deeply disappointed in Game Freak.

I have to agree. It's barely going to be used.

So many unanswered questions...

giantchasm.png

Like this here broken bridge near the entrance of Giant Chasm. Now we'll never know why it was put there.

Yes, I realize I'm more upset than I should be over a stupid choice of landscape, but here we are.

I enjoy the games and I really love how they added a lot of post-storyline content, which was seriously missed in the first games, but I am disappointed that they didn't include the protagonists from the first game in there somewhere. They're referenced a lot and I would have loved to see a scene where they meet up with N again, if only because of how awesome and sweet it would be. After meeting with N again, it would have been really cool to battle with them too. If they didn't want to give them official teams like with Red, then they could have used the Memory Link feature so that they would have whatever team you have in the first games and you can battle them multiple times, instead of only once. That would have been terrific.

I was also kind of disappointed that the Shadow Triad wasn't the Striaton City Gym Leaders. While it was probably clear with the B2/W2 trailer that they weren't the same, I still really liked that theory and it could have been interesting if that was the case. I was also kind of disappointed that they didn't freeze up more of Unova like on that map from the initial promotional images for the games. That would have been a better reason for not being able to travel through parts of the region than the bridges being repaired or tested.

I was also kind of disappointed that they didn't freeze up more of Unova like on that map from the initial promotional images for the games.

This. I had been expecting more places freezing up rather than just around Opelucid... I mean, with that big of a ship, they could've easily frozen Lacunosa, Village Bridge, and maybe some other areas on the way - perhaps even Segiha as well.

I was also kind of disappointed that they didn't freeze up more of Unova like on that map from the initial promotional images for the games. That would have been a better reason for not being able to travel through parts of the region than the bridges being repaired or tested.
This so much.

The rest of my complaints are basically the same as BW (except for the fixed lack of post-game content). Especially the "Level 9 or below Zekrom" trade center.

It would have been nice to get more than three new Pokemon. Different forms of existing Pokemon is not a new Pokemon.

I was also kind of disappointed that the Shadow Triad wasn't the Striaton City Gym Leaders.

You know, of all the little things in BW2 that pleased me, this was one of the biggest. So many theories, gone to waste. I loved it.

I was also kind of disappointed that they didn't freeze up more of Unova like on that map from the initial promotional images for the games. That would have been a better reason for not being able to travel through parts of the region than the bridges being repaired or tested.

While I agree on the bridge part (well, the dancers were pretty lame as well, but whatever), having one ice puzzle is enough, to many just gets tedious. Well, for me at least.

That, and the fact that they have better things to do when it comes to adding content compared to something that is only going to be there for a short while, giving it better longevity.

One disappointment, Challenge mode. While I got their intention, in any region that's basically not Japan, it's a god damn stupid idea that should have never been implemented in the way they did.
Challenge mode is still a pretty nice thing though.

The fact that N's journey in the unnamed faraway region meant absolutely nothing.

Perhaps they'll touch on it in a future game. I mean, the timeline for the generations isn't... clear per say. Who knows? Maybe gen 6 will have him cameo in a game where the region he went to is revealed.

Or I'm just a hapless optimist who should just zip it.

No Original Dragon.

No Original Genesect.

Team Plasma reduced to being typical thieves and them not being as epic as in BW 1.

Plot wasn't nearly as focused on. (I did actually enjoy the plot, but it wasn't as good as BW 1 where there was always good development)

No Hilda/Hilbert.

Iris the Champion was not as involved as she should have been in the "plot".

No closure to Unova and Gen 5 in general.

I do want to say that I actually did enjoy playing the game, it was enjoyable enough and I did love its good points (loved how much Cheren/Bianca have grown as characters, rival Hugh was pretty cool as well, Gym redesigns and Unova after 2 years were well done), but it wasn't perfect and it missed out on some key opportunities to be as epic as its predecessors.

The optimist in me... wants Hilda/Hilbert to appear as the "true champions" of Gen 6 much like Red in Gen 2 on top of a mountain with an incredibly high leveled team and a reward for defeating them... *Original Dragon restoration event*

Well see though. The main problem with BW2 is that it wasn't planned out to be a sequel to begin with, but IMO despite the screw ups (LOL key system) if they actually did have a plan in mind the next time then things will be much better.

So many unanswered questions...

giantchasm.png

Like this here broken bridge near the entrance of Giant Chasm. Now we'll never know why it was put there.

Yes, I realize I'm more upset than I should be over a stupid choice of landscape, but here we are.

I think that was just for aesthetics, nothing more. Like the place just before you get on the Skyarrow Bridge that is just there and you can't even ride your bike on, the place in the hometown in B2W2 where we can see far away places (although something happens there [we meet with Bianca there], it was unnecessary), etc.

On topic:

1. The fact they didn't do anything with the Abyssal Ruins and the Desert Ruins (minus it being buried). I was hoping to see a sidequest involving those two places, because I find it weird that there are two different ancient ruins that are polar opposites, so I thought there had to be some sort of connection.

2. Those annoying breeders you are forced to battle each time you pass by them. I'm okay with rebattling trainers, but don't force me to do it when I am just trying to go from Nimbasa to Castelia...

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom