• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Baby Pokémon

So if a definition of "baby" is all you need, why not, "any Pokémon that immediately hatches from an egg incapable of breeding entirely (including Ditto) as is"?

Since Legendaries can't breed, they can't produce eggs, so aren't babies. Since Phione can breed with Ditto, a Legendary or not, it's not a baby.
Since Nidorina and Nidoqueen are not '1st stage' pokémon that hatch without hacking, they aren't babies.

If it's based on breeding inability and simply 'evolution upon happiness', Wynaut is suddenly not a baby (evolves at level 15), despite needing an item to enduce said breeding.

Pikachu makes Pichu despite needing no item. Lucario makes Riolu despite needing no item. Both evolve on happiness. Breeding with items on Gen II pokemon doesn't happen until Gen III, when the idea was to conquer how said Pokémon could evolve yet again when breeding was first introduced. You'll notice item-breeding goes from Gen II->Gen III, Gen III->Gen IV, and Gen I->Gen IV, but all Gen I->Gen II don't need items to make their baby stages.

There is no way to summarize babies under a united definition: some need items attached to their parents, some don't; some evolve by level, most evolve on happiness, and four evolve from external pressures (movesets, held item, specific pogey in the back seat of the party). Use any one and you exclude others that are still defined as "pre-evos", which everything but Togepi and Riolu fall under and are considered 'babies' by the majority of the community.

Riolu/Lucario is the one break from item breeding, simply because it's the only evo-line /since/ Gen II to not backtrack its established evo-lines (or lack thereof) with a pre-evo.

What's important is that they cannot breed with anything~ Ditto won't even tap that, and it'd whore itself across the board if someone let it.

The whole Stage 1/Basic thing? I never played the TCG. Not everyone does. Regardless of it being a BIG group, they shouldn't be the ones we cater to when trying to label evolutions and lack thereof, because this is about the video game, not the card game. What the card game labels their cards isn't what we necessarily should label our sprites, since it's the lesser media.

Calling things basic/intermediate/final are misnomers, since any two stage basic/final line (Ponyta/Rapidash for example) is capable of becoming a basic/intermediate/final line in future generations and saying 'basic/final' without indicating 'well, it was true previously' is pretty much a cop-out. So I think Stage 1/2/3 works fine, since it makes future evolutions less 'finalized' and more 'open to eventual additions'.

Base (lowest level of the family, period)
Evolutionary level 1
Evolutionary level 2
But you also can't call a baby poké a 'base' pokémon when a good chunk of babies, by game breeding mechanics and regardless if you can catch them in the wild or not, need an item to be created. You can still get a Snorlax without needing to evolve a Munchlax. Thus a Snorlax can be its own 'base' as well as an 'evolutionary level 1'. And if Snorlax preceeds Munchlax in Gens, shouldn't Snorlax's place be cemented as 'base' since it came first anyway?

Sounds petty, but calling Munchlax a 'base' when I can choose to never breed for one supersedes its place as a 'base'. Same with most Gen IV and all of Gen III's pre-evos.

In the same line, I believe anything that was the start of its evo-line in the first Gen is appeared in should be the so-called 'base', regardless. And only when Game Freak throws us a future pre-evo of an existing evo-line that can breed...well, then I'll think differently.

Previously, our arguements are indentical. However...

Pichu is Baby
Pikachu is.... stage 1? basic?

Basic is defined in the TCG as the first form, and Stage 1 is defined as a Pokémon that has undergone evolution. Thus, Pikachu is a Stage 1.... however the TCG plays it as a Basic.

The TCG does not work in classification.

Of course it does. Pikachu (and every other Pokémon with a "Baby" stage), even in the most recent sets, is classified as a basic. It is explicitly labeled as such. There is no two-ways about it.

Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Azurill, Wynaut, Budew, Chingling, Bonsly, Mime. Jr, Happiny, Munchlax, Mantyke: Baby, because that's what their cards say. They are clearly marked as "Baby Pokémon".

Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Hitmonlee/chan/top, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Marill, Wobbuffet, Roselia, Chimecho, Sudowoodo, Mr. Mime, Chansey, Snorlax, Mantine: Basic, because that's what the cards say. Look at the actual card - it says Basic, not Stage 1. Therefore, they are Basic.

Raichu, Clafable, Wigglytuff, Electivire, Magmortar, Azumarill, Roserade, Blissey: Stage 1, because it says that.

Face it - the TCG is the only place we're going to get such an explicit label.
There is no point in arguing it, since that is what it says on the cards. If you don't like that, take it up with the makers. Not that they'll really care, mind.

That is no longer true, this Togepi http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Togepi_(EX_Hidden_Legends_78) from EX Hidden Legends is classified as Basic. I just recently made this page and had Basic, but when I had to link the PCG promo link to it, I had to do a retake. It is a Basic Pokémon, not baby. The Igglybuff fro this set is also Basic.

In the same line, I believe anything that was the start of its evo-line in the first Gen is appeared in should be the so-called 'base', regardless. And only when Game Freak throws us a future pre-evo of an existing evo-line that can breed...well, then I'll think differently.

This sounds about right.

It's also important to consider that it's place in it's evolutionary line shouldn't actually be a determine it's "power".

Some good examples would be Pokémon that only consist of a single member. They do not evolve, but some are comparable to "fully evolved" Pokémon and some are more compareable to unevolved Pokémon.

It's also considered a "baby" if it's unable to breed but has no reason for this aside from looking "young". Nidorina/queen are unable to breed due to complications in programming while legendaries are unable to breed due to preventing players from making more of them.

There's also how they're promoted in general advertising. Baby Pokémon tend to be very well promoted. (Many are based on Pokémon with fan appeal, so a "chibi" form would be quite a cash cow.)

That is no longer true, this Togepi http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Togepi_(EX_Hidden_Legends_78) from EX Hidden Legends is classified as Basic. I just recently made this page and had Basic, but when I had to link the PCG promo link to it, I had to do a retake. It is a Basic Pokémon, not baby. The Igglybuff fro this set is also Basic.

I never mentioned Togepi. Retconning Igglybuff confuses matters though. D=

EDIT: Hang on a minute. Things are confused FURTHER since that set's Jigglypuff is ALSO a Basic. o_O;

So if a definition of "baby" is all you need, why not, "any Pokémon that immediately hatches from an egg incapable of breeding entirely (including Ditto) as is"?

Genius.

Now we must find appropriate names for the Stages, since the TCG has proven inadequate, and an interesting arguement regarding Base was brought up.

Evolutionary Stage 1? (Dratini

(editing)

In addition to hatching from an egg, and not being able to breed, it must also be able to evolve at least once. Method of evolution is not really important since there are multiple variations.

What Pokemon can be hatched from an egg and yet cannot breed? Only add more if required.

I was just repeating what was already stated and adding that all baby Pokémon are able to evolve at least one time.

If it hatched from an egg and cannot breed, then its pretty self-explanitory it can evolve. No Pokemon has yet broken that law.

I really don't understand why we should limit ourselves to TCG definitions when the only reason the term "baby" Pokemon came into play was for continuity reasons.

So then, I believe our issue is resolved, provided that henceforth, we ignore the TCG. Entirely.

Baby: A Pokemon that, upon hatching, is unable to breed.
Basic: A Pokemon that, upon hatching, is able to breed.
Stage 1: A Pokemon that has evolved from a Basic Pokemon.
Stage 2: A Pokemon that has evolved from a Stage 1 Pokemon.

So essentially, we keep the baby moniker for Pichu, but Pikachu's still a first evolution? And Togepi is... Base level? Or Baby?

Baby, because it cannot breed upon hatching. Same with Riolu, Pichu, etc...

But wait, those with prevos that can't hatch as themselves are Stage 1?

Pokémon like Pikachu, Clefairy, Jigglypuff, Electabuzz, Magmar and Jynx do not hatch from eggs.

They're still considered basic since they evolve from babies. Their evolutions are considered Stage 1 despite evolving twice.

Anyway, these are only evolutionary levels, with no barings on actual "strength".

With some hacking, you can get the aforementioned to hatch from eggs, and when they do, they are able to bred. It is in the game code that it is allowed for them to do so, and thus, I believe my system is still valid.

With some hacking, you can get Raichu to hatch from an egg as well. It, too, breeds.

I'm not saying your system is wrong, just that hatching from an egg shouldn't be the defining characteristic of all basic Pokémon.

Thank you both. Using my aforementioned arguement, Kyogre could be considered a Baby, so I believe the definition required updating.
Now, can we get a Bulbapedia wide vote on the change to this new evolutionary classification?

Baby: A Pokemon that does not possess an earlier form, is unable to breed, and is able to evolve.
Basic: The earliest evolution in a line that possesses the ability to breed.
Stage 1: A Pokemon that has evolved from a Basic Pokemon.
Stage 2: A Pokemon that has evolved from a Stage 1 Pokemon.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom