• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Background music of the show

Yeah, Ash's theme is awesome.

I don't understand why it hasn't been used/kept very much.

And I really wish they would release a new BGM soundtrack. We haven't seen a soundtrack with nothing but BGM on it, since Pokemon Sound Anime Collection.

To be honest, I consider Satoshi's (Ash) Theme to be more equivalent to the S.S Aqua Theme from Johto. Both tracks are over two minutes in duration, both loop around after precisely 56 seconds for all portions of said theme to be heard again, and neither theme was used that often during their perspective Leagues (The S.S. Aqua Theme was used only 21 times in the 151 episodes (with Johto themed music) during the Johto League, 10 of which were in the last 20 episodes).

I think the closest Sinnoh equivalent to the AA and OK! instrumental Themes would be instrumental version of Hikari's (Dawn) Theme. But there are several key differences. For one thing, it's more character centric than the other two. It's also not really used during climatic battle situations when things turn in favor of Ash and co. And most importantly, it's based on an ending theme, whereas the former two are based on opening themes.

In general, there's so much I could talk about when it come to Pocket Monsters BGM. I know I tout myself as an expert when it comes to the original BGM. But the truth is, I'm still learning. The earlier in the series, the more familiar I am with the music used. As of right now, the only Japanese blocks of music I know inside out are Kanto, the 1st movie and Pikachu Short, Johto, and the 2nd movie (Just the main feature, not the Pikachu short). The reason for that is because those are the only four blocks used prominently pre-Advanced Generation.

Goldmemebr I love when you talk about the music.

I think the Pokemon series has such well composed music...the composer esp during the Indigo days made the music so amazing.

What's your favorite piece goldmember? Do you like any of 4Kids composed pieces? Have you noticed any pieces that they don't use anymore (i.e. that piece from Indigo we remembered).

My favorite piece are a tie between these 3:

1.) The Indigo Piano ending song...I mean how can you not love that one.
2.) I got a Victory Badge!
3.) Ok! Instrumental

Ahh, I love Pokemon BGM so much! I started getting into recognising themes about 1 ago, I think, I don't don't know as much as other people because I only started watching the Japanese version from around DP76. I don't know where to start talking...well, I think there are a lot less themes from DP compared to the other games, but there are some clips I haven't got yet, like Twinleaf, Sandgem and Route 214, I know they exist I just haven't got an episode with them yet haha. I need to find stuff like the RSE Abanded Ship which I've heard before

I was surprised to come across Pokketari Monsutari instrumental, Mezase Pokemon Master and Watashi, Makenai! instrumental (proper versions like OK! etc)

Last edited:
I think that Entei's theme is one of the most terrific pieces composed for Pokémon. It's beautiful and triumphant and just totally awesome! :D

The only thing I'm sick of with Shinji Miyazaki's music is that one ding-dong instrument that he constantly includes. It's the one that plays in Entei's theme when the music calms down and in many, many other pieces. Anyone know what it's called? Maybe it's electronic.

They're called bells.

bells.gif

I don't know, I kind of like their sound. I know it's a bit tinny, but it's definitely better than the resonator box cracking.

Entei's theme rocks. I remember it being kept in the dub in Ash's rematch against Brandon and sometime during May vs Drew in the GF. When Brandon says "Deflect it" to Registeel is when it starts playing. I just love it, it's a really nice tune especially for battles.

I love Pokemon BGM. I am one of the few who likes the dub BGM as much as the Japanese BGM.

I really liked the 4Kids dub BGM music. The new PUSA dub BGM has a unique, lucid feel to it...in both a good way and a bad way.

I think my favorite BGM tracks are the dub BGM tracks in the first episode (particularly during the Spearow chase scenes). I have way too many favorites to list.

Also, for anybody who didn't see a couple months ago, I did an interview with John Loeffler, who is in charge of composing music for the dub. I already posted it somewhere on the forum, but if you are interested in reading the transcript, feel free to PM me.

MESSAGE TO THE ADMINS: If you happen to read this, please consider this suggestion:

Clearly many members of this forum enjoy talking about BGM. However, there is no practical place to do it. Putting all conversation in one thread (like this) gets too disorganized. I propose that a new section of the forum be devoted to Pokemon Music. There could be subsections for game music and anime music.

poke07 said:
I think my favorite BGM tracks are the dub BGM tracks in the first episode (particularly during the Spearow chase scenes).
It's definitely up there on a listing of favorites for me, and it's one of the times where my preference of musical placement gravitates towards the dub. While the Japanese BGM was awesome within itself as well as being a very adroit, pumping, and arousing theme, 4Kids' track managed to add a dire, sinister, and menacing tone to the music (which I feel would be best conveyed as a backdrop of the heat of the moment or battle when it comes to the sinister appeal of a scene in tone) rather than passing the notion of the somewhat upbeat take (rooting for Satoshi/Ash, in this case, which I still did, of course, but the 4Kids track still recognized the desperate tone of the circumstance more than the Japanese track did... in my ears, at least) the original Japanese BGM had. I also feel 4Kids' choice of placement had a better connective aspect with "Tears after the Cloudy Weather" that was used subsequently (which worked commensurately well as a background for Ash's sacrifice).

But the moment itself is great. It definitely puts a check on one of the main themes of the show (Pokémon and human relationships and how one can just be happy and content with being with their Pokémon as Ash's sacrifice for Pikachu against the Spearow goes to show - searching for happiness eventually kills it..... that equality is more about being free [which is subjective in a way] and treated well than the same, appreciation, instead of being too derelict... or perhaps I'm just reading too much into it, if such a phrase should be) and it's easily one of the most poignant moments of the series, both the movies and the episodes through my eyes. But to be more on-topic, BGM itself..... I like both 4Kids' and the original format's BGM. If I had to choose I suppose it'd be the original. 4Kids' themes tend to be catchy and at times deeply stirring but the Japanese music's composition is rather superb (kudos to Shinji Miyazaki and the other composers). It manages to be well placed, sets the tone well, follows the mood of the show, and has a way of being both vivid, adrenaline-pumping, appropriate, upbeat, downbeat, jesting, nostalgic, pensive, and potent on a deep level... all at the same time. And with very tense beats. All IMO. The only qualm I could think of that wouldn't be a pet peeve is a qualm I have with all music - excessively repeated listens means a lucid and dulling effect.

I also love the flute and xylophone used in "Dig Those Diglett" and "Pikachu's Goodbye", as well as "Cream of the Croagunk Crop!". But what makes it more awesome is when the 4Kids and Japanese BGM is used in tandem - they work great together by my ears. And 4Kids' has their highs as well - the track used with the Spearow chase, Movie 1, Movie 2, and Movie 3's BGM, etc.

And yes, I like the Diamond and Pearl anime remixes. I like most of the music, 4Kids dub or Japanese (outside of PUSA's score; for the most part, at least). Both takes are great on the show from a musical perspective and leave the visuals well accompanied. Both work well enough if one wants to apply both where they work best in any one's opinion as an equal statement of musical impact.

Last edited:
I completely agree with ShadowDeeps, about the Spearow scene and the 4Kids BGM which accompanied that scene.

Personally, I love both the 4Kids BGM and the Japanese BGM. Although, I don't really have a preference when it comes to Pokemon music, because I like certain pieces done by the Japanese and certain songs composed by Manny Corallo. ^_^

I also agree that when 4Kids was doing the show, they had a nice way of making the dub music flow into the Japanese music (4Kids dub piece first, then Japanese music afterwards). Like in "The Lotad Lowdown" when this one 4Kids piece would play, and then all of a sudden I heard the Advance Adventure instrumental. =D

However, I think it's a shame, that they haven't released some of the BEST remixes from the games. Like all the unreleased Johto tracks and the D/P route songs. <33

I don't understand why they won't release those particular tracks. I mean, those songs are based on music from the games, so you'd think Japan would want to release those tracks, especially. =O

The 4Kids music isn't terrible. Its only problem is that it was originally composed to complement the Japanese soundtrack, and it's made really obvious in episodes where not much Japanese music is kept because the composition becomes more spontaneous and less effective. To use one of Jorah's videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUEDlSfxKsM

In the PUSA version of the scene, there's like five or six different music cues played throughout the fight. The Japanese version on the other hand only uses one track.

4Kids' dub of One Piece was composed in the same way (although it ended up not keeping any music) and it's the same deal. During the first battle between Zolo and Mihawk, only four music cues are used in the Japanese version. The 4Kids version? Thirty-four. It simply isn't substantial enough to carry the show in the same way that the Japanese version does.

EDIT: Also I really really hate the Pokedex theme that 4Kids composed. Like every time I hear it I want to throw up everywhere.

Last edited:
I think the D/P saga of the anime on a whole completely abuses the tracks in the Manaphy movie.

Not that it's a bad thing; there are some really fabulously layered orchestral pieces that were scored for that movie...
It's just I feel like bg music from that movie is always in the anime.

Goldmemebr I love when you talk about the music.

I think the Pokemon series has such well composed music...the composer esp during the Indigo days made the music so amazing.

What's your favorite piece goldmember? Do you like any of 4Kids composed pieces? Have you noticed any pieces that they don't use anymore (i.e. that piece from Indigo we remembered).

My favorite piece are a tie between these 3:

1.) The Indigo Piano ending song...I mean how can you not love that one.
2.) I got a Victory Badge!
3.) Ok! Instrumental

I can't really say which piece is my favorite, because their are so many tracks that just blow me away. There are some Japanese tracks that are just meh to or get used so often that they just lose their value. But most range from good, to near perfection. I guess I like the tunes that get used less often in the Anime, just because they tend to come off a lot stronger when they are used. One example would be the GSC Credits Theme.

As for your second question, there are some 4Kids pieces that I do find decent. But once I realized the difference between Dub only music, and the original BGM, I found that of the tunes that stuck out to me, almost all of them were from the original Japanese version.

I agree with what Yash said. The 4Kids music is fine on its own (as is the PUSA music), but its the way it's applied. There are just way too many instances where 4Kids will constantly change to a different tune very abruptly (as if they can't stay on the same tune for more than 10 seconds). I noticed that this was especially a problem in The Saffron Con, where the episode accumulated a grand total of 157 tunes (yes, I counted) in a 20 minute episode (or 1200 seconds, you do the math). I mean, I realize that American cartons and Dubbed Anime (that don't keep all the original score) will typically have a greater quantity of BGM and a shorter duration average per piece than their Japanese counterparts, but even by those standards, what 4Kids does with Pokemon (and their other Anime) is overkill.

To your last question, Pocket Monsters tends to phase out BGM from older blocks as newer blocks get introduced. And there are lots pieces that have completely disappeared in recent years, that were once used all the time.

Anyway, I made a blog entry about wanting to provide a complete list of all the BGM I know of from Pocket Monsters. I'm actually wondering if people would mind if I posted the list here instead.

I'm sure people would love it if you post it here! I can't wait to read the rest of it haha. There's really 900 different BGMs used in Kanto? That's amazing, I never thought it was that many...no wonder they haven't released them all. Unless that's a typo for 90?

loved the blog goldmember as always...I want more! haha

I loved the dub music too but not when the replaced my piano music tht would play at the end of the episodes...we didn't hear it in the dub until ep 8!

For the Japanese viewers did it play when Brock gave Ash his badge it looked like one of those moments.

Jorah said:
I'm sure people would love it if you post it here! I can't wait to read the rest of it haha. There's really 900 different BGMs used in Kanto? That's amazing, I never thought it was that many...no wonder they haven't released them all. Unless that's a typo for 90?

The 900 (actually a little more than that) BGM actually refers to all the instances where music played in the first 64 episodes, prior to the point when the Anime started using music from the first movie. I was not referring to the total list of tracks used. That number would be closer to 100.

Pokemaster Justin said:
loved the blog goldmember as always...I want more! haha

I loved the dub music too but not when the replaced my piano music tht would play at the end of the episodes...we didn't hear it in the dub until ep 8!

For the Japanese viewers did it play when Brock gave Ash his badge it looked like one of those moments.

The track that plays in that instance is actually called Reunion (#27 on SAC)

But yeah, I think I'll go ahead and make the list. It'll take a while though.

Can't wait for it to be honest Goldmember - if you can give us your opinions on the tracks that your telling us about too.

I'm so happy to see other people who like "BGM" talk :)

Anyhow, another BGM topic of conversation is 4Kids score vs. PUSA score.

Points to consider:

-The 4Kids BGM used a variety of different voices with very (generally) light and catchy melodies. 4Kids BGM was used until Battle Frontier, when they started mixing the two. They then alternated the two, every other episode through DP and now only use PUSA music.

-The PUSA BGM has a more lucid feel. Lots of "synth orchestral" sounds, with rock organ and electric guitar in some places.

-The two totally different styles were done by the SAME two composers: John Loeffler, and Manny Corallo.

So what's your opinion and why? In answering, try not to side with 4Kids just because it is more "familiar and nostalgic."

Personally, with that aside, I do like the 4Kids music more. The melodies are clear and catchy. The problem I have with the PUSA music is that there are no clear melodies to follow, and the battle music is anti-climatic. Instead of using full pieces (like 4Kids), they seem to have dozens of 10-second loops of music that can be cut, pasted, and moved around to form ongoing music.

However, I have to say the PUSA music was GREAT in "Crossing Paths"

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom