• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Music Background music of the show

I really don't understand why changing BGM and songs is such a touchy subject with fans. I personally see no problem with it.

Because the practice of replacing music is pretty much gone these days. Most dubbing companies now know that replacing music ruins the integrity on what an english dub should be. If a dub has an accurate script, respectful voice acting, and the original music, Then it is an english dub. If an english dub removes one of these components, then I wouldn't call it a great english dub, but can be tolerable at the very least (Though in Rave Music's case, all of their dub compositions don't match what's going on onscreen). (An example of removing one component is the Zeta Gundam English dub. It has an accurate script and original music, but the voice acting can be a little off and wooden at times. But I can tolerate with that because most of the voices themselves don't make me want to rip my eardrums out.) If an english dub removes all of the components, I wouldn't call it an english dub. I would call it a hackdub.

Last edited:
No, no, no. I don't like translations because they generally do not have the same feel as the original, but I understand that because this is a kids' show it's not convenient to use subtitles, so dubs are ok. But a good dub should be as close to the original as possible. In Latin America, that's what we got for a lot of anime. US got Cardcaptors, I got CardCaptor Sakura, which was a good translation that kept all scenes, names, music and translated the songs (and even left some in Japanese when they were used as background songs). The downside was that a couple of the voice actors were pretty shitty. But it's pretty close to what I think a translation should be like. Pokémon should be no different.

I wish more dubbing companies would replace the bgm and opening songs like TPCi. I can't think of a single anime whose replaced dub music wasn't superior in quality to the original Japanese. Yugioh, IGPX, MAR, Digimon, Shman King, DBGT, DBZ, Zatch Bell, the list goes on and on. Loffler was right on the money when he said the original tracks were basic and flat. Whether I'm watching the raw of Pokemon or just listening to the tracks by themselves, Shinji's music never invokes any emotion from me and just feels like garbled background noise. There's no heart and soul behind it. The dub music on the other hand always fits the mood of each scene and adds an extra dimension to the show. Not all the Japanese tracks are bad but most of them just don't compliment the show well at all.

It's rather unfortunate that most dub companies don't hire music composers anymore. Even small stuff like Funimation's one minute bgm in their trailers and dvd menus just completely blow the Japanese composer's music out of the water.

What I don't get is that they keep some of the original music but replace a huge percent of it. Why not just keep all of it? I can understand changing it if there's Japanese vocals int he background, but I don't get why instrumantals get replaced. I can understand why they change the opening, because they need to cut something to make room for commercials, and I'd rather have a shorter opening than a long opening with scenes cut from the show. I just don'tg et the point of keeping some of the the original music and replacing most of it.

It's pointless to replace non-vocal BGM but fully support replacing vocal songs, intros and endings. Replace as in fully replace and not translate. Coz from what I've seen, tranlated songs are terrible.

The real reason has probably already been said. Japanese music is very expensive and TPCI does not have infinite funds.

The real reason has probably already been said. Japanese music is very expensive and TPCI does not have infinite funds.

The original BGM from all of the other anime series is just as expensive. Most dubbing companies don't have infinite funds either, but they at least make an effort into actually purchasing it. This bothers me about TPCi because they are The Pokemon Company International. Pokemon is a multi-million dollar franchise. They have kept all of the BGM before using that kind of money back in the Diamond and Pearl episodes. It just shows that they aren't replacing the BGM because of the rights issues. It's very clear that they are replacing it for "artistic and creative" reasons. I had to sit through the episodes dubbed by TPCI and listening to the dub compositions, I don't think there is a lot of effort put into the music. There are no discernible melodies, it never shuts up, and the so called "violins" are extremely screechy to the point where it isn't comfortable to the sensitive ears.

It's rather unfortunate that most dub companies don't hire music composers anymore.

Well. Most of us are glad that they don't because we were getting sick and tired of them "improving" anime. It's not their job to compose a show that's already been composed. If the dub has different music as well as a "punch-up" script and improper voice acting, then you're watching a completely different show, not the actual show that originally came from Japan. Most of us don't want a different show, we would like the actual show properly presented in it's original form (An english dub that has original music, accurate script, and proper voice acting.)

Last edited:

The original BGM from all of the other anime series is just as expensive. Most dubbing companies don't have infinite funds either, but they at least make an effort into actually purchasing it. This bothers me about TPCi because they are The Pokemon Company International. Pokemon is a multi-million dollar franchise. They have kept all of the BGM before using that kind of money back in the Diamond and Pearl episodes. It just shows that they aren't replacing the BGM because of the rights issues. It's very clear that they are replacing it for "artistic and creative" reasons. I had to sit through the episodes dubbed by TPCI and listening to the dub compositions, I don't think there is a lot of effort put into the music. There are no discernible melodies, it never shuts up, and the so called "violins" are extremely screechy to the point where it isn't comfortable to the sensitive ears.

It's rather unfortunate that most dub companies don't hire music composers anymore.

Well. Most of us are glad that they don't because we were getting sick and tired of them "improving" anime. It's not their job to compose a show that's already been composed. If the dub has different music as well as a "punch-up" script and improper voice acting, then you're watching a completely different show, not the actual show that originally came from Japan. Most of us don't want a different show, we would like the actual show properly presented in it's original form (An english dub that has original music, accurate script, and proper voice acting.)

Pokemon is a multi-million dollar franchise that manages a lot of monhey. But apart from getting a lot of money, they cost a lot of money. The comparison between Pokemon and other anime are even.

And about replacing music, I think that the original music should be kept and dub music should only be introduced when is necessary. But if there's less expensive to create a dub music than making their own one, they must 1) create a music the most similart as possible to the original "replaced" song and 2) Being consistent. Not one episode keeps the music and other gets replaced the 80% because I want.

I do believe that #Pocketmonsters has a section in their page for each episode listing every song which plays within that episode. Most of them I have seen, up to late DP, have complete listings.

I do believe that #Pocketmonsters has a section in their page for each episode listing every song which plays within that episode. Most of them I have seen, up to late DP, have complete listings.

I asked one of the members if I can use some of the names of the unreleased tracks. He gave me permission. This list, however, documents what pieces of music were retained in the english dub. I could just list the names of the pieces kept only, but it would be a disorganized list from the look of things.

I'd love a full version of "Please" from the "Do I Hear A Ralts" episode to be released. I could listen to that all the time, it was so beautiful...

Yeah, I remember Eric Stuart sung that one (original English Brock/James VA). Funny enough, he's trying to go for his dream as a musician now. I always thought he was a pretty good voice actor as well when he worked on Pokemon. Whatever the case, I guess he's a man of many talents.

Anyway, I'd like a few of the 4Kids BGM soundtracks to be released (I've heard some bits of Corallo's stuff on his website, but not that many tunes, and they're not the ones from the 4Kids dub I particularly liked).

I liked the BGM that played at the beginning of some of the OI-Hoenn eps, and that one when they entered Ecruteak City for the second time in Johto in "For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll!"

As for the DuArt BGM, I honestly don't like it at all. It's very boring, and I can't get excited to watch the show at all. It comes off as really fake, shallow, and lifeless to me. *shrugs*

Last edited:
I tried hovering the mouse over "Television" like stated above (on Manny Corallo's site), but nothing shows up. Did he remove them?

I was wondering what background music (BGM) composed by Shinji Miyazaki et al. people like the most.

The four choices are:

(a) Original Series BGM
(b) Advanced Generation BGM
(c) Diamond and Pearl BGM
(d) Black and White BGM

My favorite BGM in the series comes from the Original Series. I feel it's very well composed and blends in perfectly with emotional moments.

Your thoughts?

I agree with the "Original Series" choice, but only for the 1st Generation, because Miyazaki also composed new music for the 2nd Generation, which was still part of the OS. While I like it too, it didn't have the quality and variety of the 1st.

3rd and 5th Generations are not much behind, IMO.

I agree with the "Original Series" choice, but only for the 1st Generation, because Miyazaki also composed new music for the 2nd Generation, which was still part of the OS. While I like it too, it didn't have the quality and variety of the 1st.

3rd and 5th Generations are not much behind, IMO.

I agree that I myself prefer Mr. Miyazaki's composition in Kanto myself, but I thought his scores in Johto were excellent too, just not as good.

Last edited:
Here's another one of my favorite tracks from the original series. It also plays in the anime, but the movie arrangement is just simply awesome.

Definitely the Original Series. It was nicely composed, and most of them were catchy and memorable.

My personal favorite
[video=youtube;PgueRxgnCt4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgueRxgnCt4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom