• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Basic Guidelines for Reviewing/Fic Reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barb

Java Girl
Retired Staff Retired Staff Retired Staff Retired Staff
Reaction score
Reviewing is a writing exercise. The more you review, the better your own writing will become. However, you should want to help out the author in your review and this can be done by pointing out any grammatical errors, continuity problems, etc.

There are five key points to writing a good review:

1. Honesty. Honest opinions are what help writers improve. Giving false feedback doesn't help anyone, and can lead a writer down a long road of bitter disappointment.

2. Encouragement. Reviews should be encouraging. Everyone at every level should be encouraged to continue writing.

3. Respect. A reviewer flaunting that they are better than the author they're reviewing is not respectful and is counter productive. Always remember the author is a person just like you, with feelings just like yours. If you don't want reviews that say, "You are terrible and need to find a real hobby," then by all means, don't write reviews like that. Constructive criticism is allowed and encouraged here. Flaming is not.

4. Well rounded. A good review should cover both the positive and the negative aspects of the fanfic. I find it easier to start out a review by telling the author what you liked and then gently offering some constructive criticism.

5. Rating. You can rate fics if you like, on a scale of 1 (error-filled and generally bad) to 5 (amazingly good). Be honest when rating a fic.

Keeping in mind the five points highlighted above, a review should contain your opinion. Grammatical, typographical and other errors can be included within a review, but don't forget to tell the author how the piece made you feel. Give him or her your thoughts about the inside of their writing, not just the outside.

Think about the fic for a moment before you review it. Ask yourself: Did the plot interest you? Were the characters believable? Did the story fit the time, place and other setting characteristics? Is there anything you would change within the story?

Incorporating these thoughts within your reviews will expand your own analytical skills allowing you to better analyze your own writing. Whether the author agrees with any of your suggestions or ideas is not relevant. You have given them another perspective on their work they would not have otherwise had. They may hear the same thoughts from a number of different people which may give them a better understanding of their readers as a whole.

A few more tips to reviewing a work.

It always helps to reread a chapter o a peice if you want to find out what it is you are critiquing on there.

When you start to read the piece, try to figure out what the author is trying to convey through the piece. What are the main plot points, what are the different ways one can approach the writing.

Once you start to write a reply, try to remember the feelings it evoked when you read the piece, and tell the writer about it. ALso tell them if the syntax and mechanics of the writing in itself was wrong. Tell them if certain thigns seem implausible in teh concept of the story.

For exmaple - If you think that Ash shouldn't have laughed at the trainer in question after winning the battle.

Tell the author that. Critiquing isn't just about fixing spelling mistakes and telling the author that the story was

And the biggest thing to remember., be polite. If you didn't like the fiction, tell them about it. But, don't be vulgar about it. We're trying to maintain a community here. I understand that people can disagree, but see if the disagreement can be solved before you stoop to words and blows.

~

Fic Reviewers

Here's the genral idea for people who are not familiar with these kind of threads:

Here, people who are willing to review and comment other people's fics, will post their preferences- what kind of fics they are willing to review, what kind they won't review, are they currently busy reviewing other fics etc.

Of course, this thread is for reviewers who are willing to make longer reviews, pointing out the good and bad parts of the fic, commenting on the personality of the characters, the plot, the description/action/speech and the fic overall.

I'm posting this thread because I know from experience how a good journey fic (for example) can slip past your radar just because of its title... I've also noticed how longer fics tend to receive fewer reviews, just because many members (including me) are not willing to lose their time reading something quite time-consuming, not knowing if it's a fic they'll like or just a meaningless wall of text.

So, by posting your fic preferences here, reviewers looking for, let's say fics featuring Ash in the future, can easily be PMed by someone writing this kind of a fic and a writer, if he doesn't receive reviews or wants more, can find someone who wants to review a fic like his here.

In short:

1. The reviewer posts his fic preferences here- genre/style/setting/anime characters/OCs etc.
2. The reviewer states whether he is currently free or reviewing a (or several) fic/s and can't review others at the moment.
3. The writer PMs someone who had volunteered to be a reviewer.
4. This thread is only for reviewers to state their preferences, if you want someone to review your fic PM him/her.

Thread approved by LightningTopaz.

Re: Fic Reviewers

I've also noticed how longer fics tend to receive fewer reviews, just because many members (including me) are not willing to lose their time reading something quite time-consuming, not knowing if it's a fic they'll like or just a meaningless wall of text.

Good point, but I think Legacy's fic is pretty long and it has the most views by far.

But I'm free to be a reviewer for anyone. I usually read most of the fics as they come out with new chapters anyway. So yea, just PM me....I don't really have a preference, anime/game, etc. I like any story as long as I can get into it.

^ Indeed, Legacy definitely has the most reviews by far. He's got good descriptions and scenes.

Anyways -- this isn't the place to discuss other fics, so I stop myself there.

I, for one, really enjoy reading fics that are long in length.... However... I'll read any fic that someone asks me to read... just because I'm like that. I don't have much of a preference, mainly because I'm neutral to just about everything. Be it pairings, concepts, plot, etc.

EDIT: November 2nd, 2009 -- Fic reviewing status is back up and I am now able to be reviewing in my free time once again.

Last edited:

I prefer Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fan fics. But I'm neutral towards most things; however I don't like Ash, Misty and other cliches and I would prefer things that are more original to review. Overall just give a request through PM and I'll look it over because you asked nicely.

Edit: doing many other things in life, unable to reivew.

Last edited:

I prefer to review original fanfics that consist of made-up characters and aren't affiliated with the anime in anyway. I am, however, willing to read any kind. I'm content with reading any genre of any story. I edit a lot, point out mistakes, make suggestions and comments, and then point out what I like and dislike.
I'm not busy to review anything, but I am rather tired at the moment. I can multi-review. (In other words, I can review two or three stories at once. It may take a while though because I tend to take my time ;) ) PM me if you'd like me to review your story. =DDDD

I review mostly game-based ones, but anime-based and manga-based are fine. OCs are fine, but I would prefer to keep away from anime characters, what with their personalities of sandpaper, oil and mud.

I'll review. I prefer anime-based and manga-based fics, unless a fic with OCs has really distinct characters with actual personalities. But yea, let me know anyone.

I'm posting this thread because I know from experience how a good journey fic (for example) can slip past your radar just because of its title... I've also noticed how longer fics tend to receive fewer reviews, just because many members (including me) are not willing to lose their time reading something quite time-consuming, not knowing if it's a fic they'll like or just a meaningless wall of text.

This part is so true

I p.m.ed a bunch of people up there. Great thread.

I like to review things with more Realistic violence than the anime. So I like stories more like the comic.

Now that I remembered I forgot to put my reading preference, I'll read anything that has any kind of action and comedy they don't have to be combined the fic just have to have one of them, I could also read some romance fics but only those that have shippings that aren't used much not the shippings we always hear about in most of the stories

I will read anything except non-pokemon things, Shippers stuff, and I HATE reading about anime, game characters as the main one. ex They can have like Roark as a gym leader but not as the main char.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Status Busy, writing my own.

Last edited:

Here's my list of reviewings:

1. I will only review fanfics based on the games. I will not review fics based on the anime or manga becuase I dislike the anime and I've never read the manga.
2. I will most likely not review Shipping fanfics.
3. I may give a negative review if I really don't like a fanfic. There are reasons for this, like if a character I like is portrayed badly or something along those lines.
4. I will review stories with OCs.
5. I would LOVE to review fanfics with Gym Leaders and/or Elite Four members as the focus. In particular, I'll review a fanfic with Lorelei, Steven, Roark, Fantina, Byron, Aaron, or Cynthia.

I'd review just about anything but I'd prefer OC's and game based ones but I'm content with animé or original stories and I'll be 100% honest, trust me on that!

Well I'm both a writer and a reviewer- once something is recommended to me anyhow. I like to think I can give good advice, though I like to focus on story line and how the story is told more so than nick picky things like grammar and spelling. Though if I notice them, I'll try to point them out (I'm a real naughty english major, abandoning my grammar nazi ways).

Okay I do have preferences though. I try not to be bias but I don't like OC stories. If I wanted to read an OC story, I'd rather just read a regular book, no fandom attached. I also prefer to have stories that relate to the first few seasons (Indigo-Johto) as I am unaware of the new characters and pokemon. However, I can make an exception in the case of Ash and Aura Guardian stories. I just eat those up.

I love stories about Ash, Gary, Misty, Richie and occasionally even odd-balls like Sabrina or Giovanni. I, of course, love Team Rocket stories. My favorite is Ash by far. If Ash is in it, I'll probably still like it. I don't mind shonen ai so long as it's toned down, as it's not my preference. ABOSOLUTELY NO SEX SCENES (same sex or different sex). I refuse to read it. I feel that that should be a private thing between the two characters and I really don't need to read it. However, if it is only implied (fade to black) I'll tolerate it.

I also don't like bestiality. Sorry pikashippers.

I don't mind romance. But I really love adventure, dark realistic fictions. If you read my own fanfics, you can get a sense of my taste.

I am completely available to review at the moment. And I'll probably put a review above other things on my plate, save for friday's comics.

Also you can trust me to be nice. I don't believe in leaving negative critical reviews.

Last edited:

As a writer, I'm prepared to review if someone asks me. I try to give feedback that's constructive - if I don't like something because it's not my taste, I'll say so and won't pretend it's something the author did wrong. I prefer OC for the most part, but if pressed I'll read established characters as well.

Tullio

I will review almost any story, but I prefer the shorter ones. I also like more original themes. It has to catch my eye, which is not like, for example, "War", "Ash's Journey", "pokemon story", ect. I am almost always available. I Beta read for the newer writers for common mistakes.

Last edited:

I'm free to read and review :D

I don't like to read non-pokemon related fics though and I'm not to big on sex scenes :/

Don't worry, I'll be nice in my reviews :DD

I prefer darker stories and more original stories as well as Mystery Dungeon based stories. No ""

No shipping stories except for Legendary shippings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom