• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Battle Upgrades

Rare Candy

Want them in PokeMart?
Reaction score
Well, since the 2nd Gen, every new generation has brought a change in battles, like:

G/S - Special stat split in SpAttk and SpDef, Pokemon Genders, somewhat a new type effectiveness chart, new types for some older moves, new types for older pokemon etc.

R/S - Abilities and Natures (And something I think I forgot)

D/P - Moves split into Special and Physical not based on the type but the move itself. Also, new Abilities.

Now what do you guys expect from B/W?

Right now, I have no idea, but I hope it makes battling more "realistic" or just simply better. :D

I'm really hoping for a larger moveset. I understand why the original games limited the number of moves to 4, but with the advances in Nintendo technology, there is no reason why they can't enlarge it.

It would be pretty cool if the battling Pokemon sprites physically attacked each other, instead of the same special effect with every attack.

I'm really hoping for a larger moveset. I understand why the original games limited the number of moves to 4, but with the advances in Nintendo technology, there is no reason why they can't enlarge it.
If they enlarge it, it needs to be only by one.

It would be pretty cool if the battling Pokemon sprites physically attacked each other, instead of the same special effect with every attack.

Yes. I want this.

Actually I didn't mean changes for animations and battle looks, because those are pretty much going to happen.

I thought about changes that affect the battle, like those in my first post :p (pokemon abilities, special physical split etc)

Actually I didn't mean changes for animations and battle looks, because those are pretty much going to happen.

I thought about changes that affect the battle, like those in my first post :p (pokemon abilities, special physical split etc)

No. Do not want.

Double Battles

And Contests! But that has nothing to do with battling.

Anyway, I don't really think they need anything else. Exept MAYBE the number of moves enlarged to 5 or 6. Four is just way too little.

I'd like more pokemon to be even. I don't like the fact that there are so many pokemon considered "useless". They really just need to add evolutions and such, but as far as battle goes I could go for one or two more attack slots. I could see some unbalance there, but I could dig it.

animations aren't mechanics. They're aesthetic.

If there is a change, and I see no reason to assume there won't be, it'll be something big. they always are. Say what you will about the split or Gen III's contributions, but that seriously changed how the metagame was played.

I think we may see some moves gain the advantage of a super effective nature against certain types. Like Acid to steel, while poison usually does nothing.

I would probably dislike that change. Poison in my opinion should not be able to poison or hurt steel types. (that however is open to debate.)

The only problem with 5 slots is that it would allow an extra healing or attack move for the legendary pokemon which would greatly increase their effectiveness.

I wouldn't mind if rock got a super effective to electric.

I think we may see some moves gain the advantage of a super effective nature against certain types. Like Acid to steel, while poison usually does nothing.

Agreed. Some moves just lend themselves to being super-effective, despite type.

Also, the "guy who cares more about the world-building and less about mechanics" in me thinks Ghost should lose its immunity to normal and FIghting and just gain an immunity to physical attacks.

That would work. It mind be a bit more complex for the game programmers to do as they would have to look through every single move and determine its physical or specialness and then change it for that type of move rather than type alone.

One thing that would be awesome is double items in battle...(not the same ones mind you, but like two different items like the choice scarf and choice band or something..) Of course that would be too radical of a change.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind a few attacks that forgo the usual type-chart...like how Sky Upper is SE against Flying-types. That's neat, and I'd like to see a bit more of that.

One thing I thought of was a Held Item split where Pokemon could have a Berry and Held Item at once. There'd be some caveats (the stat raising berries could not be used in tandem with the choice items, held items that need to activate would activate prior to berries, etc.) though to keep it balanced.

That would work. It mind be a bit more complex for the game programmers to do as they would have to look through every single move and determine its physical or specialness and then change it for that type of move rather than type alone.
I don't understand what you mean. Every move is already either Physical or Special, that was separated from the moves' type in Gen IV.

And while Ghosts being immune to Physical moves would makes some logical sense, at would never work. It would make Ghosts far too powerful

I don't understand what you mean. Every move is already either Physical or Special, that was separated from the moves' type in Gen IV.

And while Ghosts being immune to Physical moves would makes some logical sense, at would never work. It would make Ghosts far too powerful

True. Dark and Ghosts might issues, since there are more physical moves for both than there are special.

One thing I thought of was a Held Item split where Pokemon could have a Berry and Held Item at once. There'd be some caveats (the stat raising berries could not be used in tandem with the choice items, held items that need to activate would activate prior to berries, etc.) though to keep it balanced.

I've thought of this too. An EXP Share and Lucky Egg.:crush:

And here's an idea that isn't connected to battling: Being able to arrange the pokemon in your boxes without having to connect to the pc...however that would mess up the reason for doing it but maybe having the ability move them around and then when you connect with a pc, it automatically does the changes for you.

What I meant Exhibit A, was that the designers would have to program the game to make ghost immune to physical moves, rather than just what type it is. What would be cool (this is off topic...) is a ghost/steel type.

And here's an idea that isn't connected to battling: Being able to arrange the pokemon in your boxes without having to connect to the pc...however that would mess up the reason for doing it but maybe having the ability move them around and then when you connect with a pc, it automatically does the changes for you.

There are other threads for you grotesque, mad-mannish ramblings. We keep a clean business, here.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom