• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best New Movies of 2008 (for You)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyWolf

R-Rated
Reaction score
Threads like this have been done, but perhaps this is an interesting direction to take such an idea...

I thought that I'd take a rare stab at making a thread based on the best movies that the people of Bulbagarden have seen this year. Obviously, movies such as the Dark Knight fall into this category, but if one has never seen Dr.Strangelove until this year, one should feel free to list that, as well.

Here's mine, in a fairly accurate ordering of what I've seen, and what I liked the most. I'll keep it somewhat terse with a top ten list.

- RockNRolla: Simply the best movie I've seen this year, and I do believe that it's tied for my favorite film of all-time.

- In Bruges: This movie is excellent, and really without flaws. This is definitely a film for those who like a dark comedy.

- Hellboy 2: the Golden Army: I preferred this film to the first, which I also quite enjoyed, and it was simply an amusement-fest.

- 007: Quantum of Solace: Another solid Bond film. Daniel Craig's proving himself to be quite good as Bond, even if his daffy voice showed through in a few scenes of this film.

- Burn after Reading: Like the Big Lebowski, I simply enjoyed the hell out of this film. I shouldn't expect that any of the cast members get any nominations for their roles, because Hollywood is so ass-backward.

- Special: Michael Rappaport was incredible in this film. It was rather creative, and I can't wait to get it on DVD. I just hope that it's not too difficult to find.

- Max Payne: the movie took a lot of liberties with the game's story, but I still quite enjoyed it.

- The Transporter 3: I'm gonna get flack for putting this ahead of the Dark Knight, but meh. I love the Transporter films.

- The Dark Knight: A fine film. I find it overrated, but I did quite enjoy the film, anyway.

- Appaloosa: Ed Harris brought an Old West yarn, and it impressed me. Good film.

Honorable mentions: Anamorph, The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor, Get Smart

The worst film that I saw this year would be Eagle versus Shark. I'm a big Jemaine Clement fan, but good lord...that movie stunk to high Hell.

So, what're the best movies that you people have seen this year?

Well, lets see:

1.The Dark Knight-even though it was based on a comic series, it was very dark, and entertaining
2.Iron Man- awesome (what a great description)
3.Get Smart-I got a big laugh out of this movie
4.Wall-e-even with only two sentences of dialoge, it was very cute :)

That's all I can think of at the moment

The Dark Knight was the film that every action movie should strive to be. It was cerebral and aimed at a mass audience. That's almost never paired in modern cinema.

1) Iron Man(Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely perfect as the title character.)

2) Batman: The Dark Knight(I didn't like Christian Bale's performance as Batman, but Heath Ledger as Joker and Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent/Two Face..god...they were scary beautiful.)

3)Pineapple Express(I laughed my ass off at this movie.)

Only saw one new film this year: Iron Man. I was not disappointed.

I saw like 2 movies this year....I'm going with Get Smart....

I didn't see many movies...but I'll put my two cents in and say Juno

Valkyrie is going to be freaking awesome.

I'll go with Body of Lies.

Iron Man: One word- Epic.
Wall*E: Easily one of the most romantic movies I've seen in a very long time.
I'm still kicking myself for missing The Dark Knight in theatres. What the heck was I thinking?!

Iron Man: One word- Epic.
Wall*E: Easily one of the most romantic movies I've seen in a very long time.
I'm still kicking myself for missing The Dark Knight in theatres. What the heck was I thinking?!

They're gonna show it again in theatres sometime in January, so if you still want, you can catch it there

Oh, me too. Same with Wall-E and Mamma Mia.

I'm pretty sure the only movies I saw in theaters this year were Iron Man and Quantum of Solace. So... those two.

As far as pre-08 movies go: Juno, Across the Universe, Little Miss Sunshine, and Hard Candy.

maybe Wall E, I never saw it, only bits of it. The bits I did see, I thought it was cute and funny (but I like thoese pixar animation films) Anyway, the only movie I have actually seen is Quantum of SOlace and that was disappointing for me. I read a review that said it was "A car chase without a plot" and until most of the way though it, I had no clue what solace was. Also was Bond trying to get the guy that killed his girlfriend (there was something to do with his girlfriend). Plus I don't think anyone who jumps out of a plane like Bond and that girl did, and he hits the ground, not a lot of people would be able to move after doing that, but he seems capible. Also I never got the end much. And, unline most bond mives I have seen, there was next to no gadgets in this one, and James bond is renonwed for its gadgets. Anywya, most pople I know who have seen twilight say its very good, although they were girls and me being a guy, don't know if I'd like it at all.

Hancock looks interesting, but I have not saw it yet. The bit when he threw the whale of the beach and it hits the boat on the horizon was funny as ever the first time I saw it.

One movie that looks like it might be good is Ink Heart, might go and see that, I like all that fantasy stuff anyway. Actually it seemed before there used to only be either mostly: Horror or SUperhero movies, now things seem a bit more action or fantasy orientated.

The Dark Knight was the film that every action movie should strive to be. It was cerebral and aimed at a mass audience. That's almost never paired in modern cinema.

And it had that dreamy Christian Bale in it, too!

I'm not fond of Marvel superheroes so I didn't bother with Iron Man. :p

The Dark Knight. That is all.

I heard Christian Bale is going to star in a remake of Gigli. Are you all going to melt for that, too?

Iron Man wins. Marvel trumps DC. It's simple math, really.

Iron Man and The Dark Knight were the best movies I saw in 2008.

The worst (and most disappointing) movie of 2008 that I saw for me was Forgetting Sarah Marshall. The movie was stupid and not funny, even though I seem to be the only one that feels that way (then again the same thing happened last year with Superbad).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom