• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Best Replacement Mascot

Best Replacement Mascot

• Togepi

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Marill

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Ralts

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Munchlax

• Riolu

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Dilbur

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Scraggy

• Minccino

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Axew

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Eh, Pikachu has been the mascot for so long, that it would just feel wrong if they replaced him. If there was a "Pikachu shouldn't be replaced" option in the poll, I'd choose that XD

I'm sure that Game Freak are aware of the competitive scene, and the metagame may well be taken into account when designing new Pokemon and assigning learnsets (the scarcity of Stealth Rock in Gen V is likely a result of this). But that's as far as it goes. Choosing mascots is a whole other business, and I'm sorry, but the competitive metagame doesn't factor into it at all. Most fans of the franchise don't do serious competitive battling. Most people who do battle competitively will not deride a Pokemon simply because it doesn't have the stats of Garchomp. There is a thriving NU metagame.

But the main focus has always been the OU metagame, which lacks diversity and needs to expand the # of Pokemon on list so there will be less Pokemon in NU. It's also unfair for players who want use a low tier like Charizard to go against a high tier like Ferrothorn, even though there is an option to use low tier Pokemon in OU, because their analysis datas say something along the lines that the low tier Pokemon in question deserves to stay in the lower tiers as if they only prefer the Pokemon they have now in OU, which hints a form of elitism.

The fact that more kids have access to the internet now than they did in 1996? It means nothing, especially since widespread access to the internet has been common now for a decade or more. In the Red and Blue days, you didn't need a tier list to tell you that Mewtwo was stronger than Butterfree. The differences in power between certain Pokemon have always been obvious even to the most casual players. And hey, those power differences are the very reason that tier lists exist. If there were no tiers, everyone would play the same small number of overpowered Pokemon, and the vast majority of the Pokedex, with all its variety and potential for interesting teams, would go unused. Splitting Pokemon into tiers is a way of ensuring that people can use the Pokemon they like without running into legendaries that can beat them on the basis of stats alone. It is not a means of ranking which Pokemon is best, and those who think it is are not only gravely mistaken, but also represent a tiny fraction of the fandom.

But they sometimes tend to go overboard with tier lists by ruining reputations of some Pokemon who gained their popularity from the anime.

Seriously, go and take a look at the favorite Pokemon poll. The favorites are a mixture of the competitively strong and weak, as well as the cute and the badass-looking. The winner? Charizard, which has languished in the lower tiers since forever. Many kids like strong Pokemon, no doubt about it. But this generally means a Pokemon that looks and seems strong. Whether that Pokemon has been proven competitively viable based on metagame analysis is not going to be important to the average young fan.

The fact that many kids like strong Pokemon is part of the main problem. They'll think Pikachu is a strong Pokemon because of its mascot status but will soon realize that it and its evolved form, Raichu, are mediocre in the battlefield, which will result on its hatedom (just like Charizard due to its Stealth Rock weakness and Envoy's opinion being taken by word here on Bulbagarden since she's a well-respected user). That is why the need for another mascot is a necessity to bring the requirements for both sides of the fandom.

As others have said, I really don't see why the mascot has to be strong in the metagame. I mean, do you really expect Pat Patriot to run a perfect trwo-minute drill? No. Do you expect Hook-'em Horns to make the game-winning three-pointer? No. They're both fantastic mascots. However, if Game Freak came to us, the fans, and said they wanted us to pick a new mascot, I'd pick Togepi. The thing's adorable as flock and has star power.

Although out of the choices you provided I quite like Riolu and Ralts, Pikachu is fine remaining as the mascot.

But the main focus has always been the OU metagame, which lacks diversity and needs to expand the # of Pokemon on list so there will be less Pokemon in NU. It's also unfair for players who want use a low tier like Charizard to go against a high tier like Ferrothorn,
The tiering system isn't some sort of popularity contest. What are you expecting? "Charizard has a lot of disadvantages and isn't that strong but people like it so we're making it OU"? As I already said, tiers exist in order to make the vast majority of Pokemon usable in an ultra-competitive field. We either assign Charizard to a low-ish tier where it can be used effectively, or it will never get used in competitive battling ever again.

And it's not really Game Freak's fault either. Where a Pokemon falls on a tier list is mostly beyond their control, because it can be hard to predict how the metagame will develop once a game is released.

even though there is an option to use low tier Pokemon in OU, because their analysis datas say something along the lines that the low tier Pokemon in question deserves to stay in the lower tiers as if they only prefer the Pokemon they have now in OU, which hints a form of elitism.
Is it elitism to say that a featherweight boxer probably shouldn't fight professionally against a super-heavyweight? By your definition apparently it is. But the sport is separated out into weight brackets, just like tiers, because both are talented sportsmen who deserve a fair fight in their own category.

You're talking as if Pokemon in the lower tiers are looked down on by the competitive community. They are not. In fact, here's a quote from Smogon's most recent analysis of my favorite Pokemon, the forever-NU Mawile.

Smogon said:
After two generations of being completely ignored, Mawile finally has a chance to shine thanks to its Dream World ability, Sheer Force. Combined with an adequate movepool and priority moves, Mawile is now able to strike fear in all those who oppose it. Sadly, its stats are still sub-par and setting up can be difficult in a tier dominated by Pokemon who can easily take Mawile on before it sets up, such as Braviary, Magmortar, and Camerupt. However, don't let Mawile's gentle appearance deceive you, for if you underestimate it, Mawile will seize the advantage.
Now, does that sound insulting and condescending to you? Or does it sound like a sober, realistic analysis of a Pokemon that has stats way too low to compete with the big guns, but has a few unique options that make it interesting to use?

It seems like you'd prefer a metagame in which tier lists did not exist. But that's not the metagame we have. Given the sheer number and variety of Pokemon there are, tiers are an inevitability. It's just what happens when you get deep enough into a game. The mistake you're making is assuming tier lists have any sway outside the competitive field for which they were intended. For in-game teams or casual battling with friends, you can use basically whatever you like and have a shot at winning - and that's where the vast majority of the fandom is.

They'll think Pikachu is a strong Pokemon because of its mascot status but will soon realize that it and its evolved form, Raichu, are mediocre in the battlefield, which will result on its hatedom (just like Charizard due to its Stealth Rock weakness and Envoy's opinion being taken by word here on Bulbagarden since she's a well-respected user). That is why the need for another mascot is a necessity to bring the requirements for both sides of the fandom.
Charizard? Hatedom? Did you miss the part where I pointed out that Charizard is the most popular Pokemon despite it having been low-tier since forever?

You've repeatedly stated the belief that a once-loved Pokemon can be made unpopular in the fandom in general due to being put in a low tier. I have provided evidence to the contrary. If you're going to reply to me again, please do me the courtesy of actually considering that evidence.

I'd love to see Pikachu evolve, seeing as Raichu is still a "cute" Pokémon. If Pikachu were to be completely replaced, I'd choose Clefairy.

Clefairy, not only because it was the original intended mascot, but because everyone needs a little more pink in their diet.

Actually, considering my recent blog about Zoroark, I would suggest Zorua as a decent mascot replacement. It's adorable, yet cool. It evolves into Zoroark who isn't bad in battle. Its design is certainly something that is likableI think (I don't like Pikachu, so I guess not everyone has to like the mascot). Both Zorua and Zoroark have a unique ability and their own signature move, both of which would be pretty cool for the mascot to have (Pika only has Volt Tackle but no special ability), since it makes it stand out in some way. Oh and it's a Dark-type. A Dark-type mascot would be pretty cool to have rather than something obvious like a Normal.

If I think of any more I might post back here at a later point. I think Zorua would be a pretty good replacement though.

Edit:

Zorua_movie.png

Last edited:
ralts?, togepi?, man these pokemon couldent hold up to a pokemon battle if thair life depended on it. the point of pikichu is ash dosent want it to evolve idk why but he says that pokemon dont need to evolve to be strong so none of the mascots on here would evolve. totally agree with darth zekrom. but if it had to change it should be a kanto/hoenn region pokemon to show that ash loves and would never seperate it just becouse he's in a diffrent region. id say no one could replace pikachu even though hes not the best he is still really strong will volt tackle and stuff and god knows hes better than 3/4 of the pokemon thair becouse he took on some insanly hard battles and came through.

I really don't think that Pikachu needs to be replaced but if he did it would probably be Zoura or something

I personally would like it to be marill because I like marill

So I voted for that even though it's very unlikely to be chosen if they change the mascot, which is also very unlikely.

I think it could be Buizel. It would make a good mascot ^.^ (It's also my favorite pokemon) Other than Buizel, I'd say Axew. He's somewhat like Misty's Togepi was in the anime.

Pikachu isn't that easily to replace as a mascot. He will always be the face of Pokémon, same goes for Meowth who kind of shares the title of that.

But if they decided to replace all of that in Gen 5, I would say Minccino due it's equally cuteness and it can also evolve with a stone like Pikachu.

Pikachu doesn't need replacing. ._. "he sucks in battle" is probably the stupidest reason to replace a mascot ever.

I'd go for Zorua, to be honest. Although I love Togepi and Minccino I think the macot needs to be a better balance of cute and cool; to look lovable but also as though it can at least hold its own so people don't dismiss it too easily as being one-dimensional/looks only.

The mascot is the face of the entire franchise and I just don't think any of the suggestions (or even any of the other Pokémon, really) quite embody it the way Pikachu does, so I really don't think it needs replacing. It just seems to be the perfect combination of usability, cuteness, coolness and memorability. It's distinctive and everyone I know recognises it fondly even when they don't like Pokémon itself. It's not too feminine or weak looking or too masculine or overpowered either. It might not be the best Pokémon for competition, but it's certainly usable for any kid who just wants one on their team and universal appeal and memorability is what counts here. It's everything a mascot should be, in my opinion, and if it isn't broken, why try to fix it?

I always figured Pichu, Plusle/Minun, Pachrisu and Emonga were considered the "Pikachu replacements" of their gen.

Pikachu doesn't really need a replacement.

But I'd say Clefairy, because of the Pocket Monsters manga and he was the original mascot.

Um... I just feel like this needs to be said: Eevee! Why on earth would Eevee not be the perfect mascot?! It can be a ton of different types, so you can choose your own path, plus it's super cute

I also believe is should be Pikachu because it's cute, speed and if you gave Pikachu a lightningrod, The effectiveness of electric attacks are zero. Also great agility and a known pokemon(My friend knows nothing about Pokemon but still remembers Pikachu).

I still think Pokémon should've gone for a different mascot in each generation, to in a way promote that there are many of them.

Pikachu... is an odd mascot. It was technically chosen by the players though given its popularity as an early rare thing, so it has proven to be iconic enough on its own. (Particularly being of the first creatures of a common magical element and somewhat relatable to a common creature while showing a mostly original design)
So it IS a reasonable example of a pokémon to give to someone who doesn't know what Pokémon is.

In any case this is all pointless as by now, it's not like they can just go and change the mascot like if nothing.

After thinking carefully, I believe the Starter Pokémon make the best mascots for each generation. They have a perfect balance in being iconic characters, with recognizable magical elements... yet they also have enough variety and give the idea of choice of the player to show what pokémon is really about. And because they are different each generation, they ALSO tell a lot about the current games.
Perhaps though, Starters + a Pokémon (or more) could work... but this pokémon should also be of the same generation, and be treated equally.

They COULD have perfectly gone for a basic pokémon of the 15 types for Gen I in rotation, but that'd have been unpractical, specially in the long run for later generations.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom