• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Blind-sided by levels?

Dark Tranquillity

Christian Brutal Sniper!
Reaction score
If this topic isn't that necessary, permission is granted to lock it.

When you first started the post-E4 adventure in BW, were you blind-sided by how strong the NPCs Pokemon were at first (starting from level 65 and a little higher)?

I was at first. I thought that their levels were only gong to be, at the highest, level 55+. But it's alright, I'll get used to it and my Pokemon will gradually match those levels soon.

This is probably just me though.

Anyway, discuss

i know, and the only decent training spot, the sports dome, also gets mega-leveled to 65+ as soon as the e-4 fall.

even all the wild pokemon shoot up to 50.

I sure was. My entire team (With recently hatched egg, mind you) was sweeped by my second post E4 battle.

I'm really liking it though. In previous gens, (save for Jhoto games) there was really noone to battle post E4 except for the occasional missed trainer

Yeah, I was really shocked. I battled some football guy at the sports stadium and he sent out like a Lv. 66 Conkeldurr, a good ten levels above my team. I managed to scrape through, and did some hardcore training at the Village Bridge after.

They use high-leveled Pokemon, but not only are their teams usually restricted to one-to-three Pokemon, but they also usually use pre-evolutions. Once you get past the initial "omg high levels!" shock, they're really kind of underwhelming.

What I did is catch Volcarona and use the Exp. Share on my Serperior and the rest of my Pokemon after that. I remember, right after I beat the game, there was a level 50 Karrablast in Route 11, and it took my entire team to beat it.

Last edited:
They use high-leveled Pokemon, but not only are their teams usually restricted to one-to-three Pokemon, but they also usually use pre-evolutions. Once you get past the initial "omg high levels!" shock, they're really kind of underwhelming.

yea, most have babys or 1st stages.
it's the Sports dome that blindsides ya.

If you play it smart with healing and knowing your type matchups you can actually come out on top more times than not. The high levels actually help you catch up because you are gaining more experience by defeating stronger Pokemon.

Too bad lots of players are ignorant of type advantages and disadvantages.

I still managed to scrape through with my level 45+ team. (I took on the E4 underleveled)

I was at first overwhelmed by the levels, though then I started training at the domes in Nimbassa city, now my Pokémon are over level 60. :D

At first I was like argh wtf?!?!? but then I sucked it up and continued to battle some random trainer and their lv 60 something Pokemon(rather than turn off the power) and surprisingly the battle wasn't that hard at all(I still managed to get a couple of OHKO's with my Pokemon that were about 10 levels under).

It's a bit of a pain because beating the elite four the first time my team was 49-51. It's good for leveling but I'm not one to like using healing items if I don't have to so it usually means I run back to the pokecenter every few battles. I do send out whatever will have the type advantage but that means it gets hit, sometimes hard, when it gets sent out and my team leans more toward slower things (it's an in game team, I'm not all that worried about strategy with them).

As for the fact most of them are carrying around unevolved things, that makes it WORSE. That means you gain less experience for the effort. :c

The first time I encountered this kind of 60+ NPC was the first one that can be encountered on the way to Black City. Well, I was OVERwhelmed by the time I saw his Pokemon. However, after I defeated him with my lvl 52 Unfezant, my fear has gone down. This was followed by tons of other wild pokemon appearing with the levels 50+ and more NPCs that owns 60+ pokemon, all of them were either captured or defeated. The NPCs appear that they were not too much of a threat, other than chipping off one of your party member.

Cynthia and the Pokemon League are other cases anyway. Even with buttloads of revival herbs, energy root, X items... I just can't beat them.

I wasn't.
I refuse to use healing items and revives during the main game, so the Elite 4 kicked my arse a few times before I was able to beat them. Hell, most of the time I lost on purpose. I wanted to be able to finish them all off without a single pokemon fainting, and eventually I did so. As a result, all my mons gained tons of exp and by the time I faced N, they were all level 59.

It wasn't too bad for me. Of course, after I beat the game, I hauled ass over to the Poké Transfer Lab and proceeded to transfer over my hordes of level 100s. When I left the lab, my team consisted of my level 100 Wynaut, Linoone, Shiftry, Castform, Swampert, and Pelipper.

With a mustache.

when i 1st went through the post-story routes, i made sure to avoid every trainer until i got to the poke transfer place. then i went back and fought the trainers. i was doing ok since my pokes were level 60-64 after the E4, but the only trainer who blindsided me was this one Ace Trainer girl who's levels were just out of the blue 4-5 levels higher than all the other trainers, and running around w/o my full team (stupid hm slaves D:<) i was a little panicky, especially since i'd left behind my strongest party members. but i won in the end :)

i will say this though, i accidentally forgot to fight a lot of trainers back on a route by Iccirus City, so when my opponents levels were only 35+ all of a sudden, it made me giggle :p my team was such overkill haha

i will say this though, i accidentally forgot to fight a lot of trainers back on a route by Iccirus City, so when my opponents levels were only 35+ all of a sudden, it made me giggle :p my team was such overkill haha
Me too! I missed the trainers behind Dragonspiral Tower and completely destroyed them post-game. :mallet:

I had no problem at all with the post-game trainers. My Pokémon were in their late 40s/early 50s.

If you play it smart with healing and knowing your type matchups you can actually come out on top more times than not. The high levels actually help you catch up because you are gaining more experience by defeating stronger Pokemon.

Too bad lots of players are ignorant of type advantages and disadvantages.

This is true, but it would've been better if you didn't make a generalization with that last comment.

On the main topic, yeah, I was really surprised by the Post-E4 levels.

I was like, 'Yay! Time to check out the other half of Unova.. *runs into tall grass*'
*Out pops a Jigglypuff*
"A wild Jigglypuff appeared!"
I'm thinking, 'Ahahaha! A wild JIGGLYPUFF!'
'What are you gonna do? Double-Slap me to death? XD'
> > > JIGGLYPUFF LV65 < < <
'WHAT TH-'

Anyways, it's a good thing that I designed my team to cover all Types and to a lesser degree, to resist most types. That way I can switch in and switch out to either maximize damage dealt and minimize taken. I don't think I would've ever survived the onslaught of post-E4 battles if my team wasn't properly balanced.

Btw, I don't know if they're still there in the stadium, but I was extremely annoyed by the double battle where you had to fight the two Zebstrikas. I would almost always have to 2HKO them, and by that time, my two Pokemon would usually be out-sped or paralyzed by the dual Discharge + Motor Drive. Hopefully they're not there anymore, they were irritating to say the least.

This is true, but it would've been better if you didn't make a generalization with that last comment.

It's not like my statement is untrue. There are a lot of people who are not aware of type match ups. Especially the lesser known ones like Bug>Dark.

I'm sure there are a good portion who know the match ups, just like there are a lot of people who don't.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom