• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Both versions?

Turtle Tamer Kammy

ლ(≖益≖ლ)
Reaction score
Does anyone else own both versions just for the sake of being able to start one over? I think I'd feel dumb for spending 70+ on this generation of games without any spinoffs being out yet, but I'm so tempted to buy Diamond because I want to start fresh. My Pearl version has the date I started, which happens to be the day it came out, not to mention I have my Mew and Jirachi on Pearl... why would I want to start that over? D: But at the same time I wanna play through the game again, maybe start with Piplup, trade some post game Pokes over and so on. What do you think?

I do the same thing I buy the version that i think i will like bettter then after i beat the game i go buy the other one

With every generation, I have bought both versions (except for Fire Red/Leaf Green - I was only able to get Fire Red).

So yeah, I have both Diamond and Pearl. XD

Julie = poor college student in need of fewer distractions = Wii-less.

Same situation for me, really...

Anyhoo, I make it a point to get myself both versions at the release. It sure doesn't pan out that way all the time, but I do what I can. I'd recommend the same to you, since the ability to trade with yourself between games (start the game with a Spiritomb you hatched all by yourself, anyone?) and have a "play version" and "master version" is simply worth the money. Having both versions is great from a collector's standpoint and, more relevant to me, a replay standpoint.

No Wii?! That's a sad plight indeed. I guess you'll somehow need to get two DSes and a copy of Diamond. If you really want to get the best experience, then wait till the third version or the G&S remakes.

I've got both versions but in actual fact I've got 3 games.
2 Pearls and a Diamond.
Japanese Pearl
American pearl
Australian Diamond.

Yeah I have 2 imports plus my Aussie version.=P

I honestly have no idea how I ended up with 3 Pokemon games all from different countries. It's what happens when I get impatient I guess.=P

That's pretty much exactly what I've done for every generation. I buy one of the games when it first comes out (whatever most appeals to me), and then when I eventually get bored of it and feel like playing through again, I'll get the other game. Then I keep the first one as my "master version" with all my best Pokemon and stuff. But to be honest, the second game is usually something I ask for as a Christmas or birthday gift, so I'm not really spending any extra money. ^^'

Also, this gen was a bit different because I imported Japanese Diamond when it came out, and it kept me busy until last June sometime when I finally went out and bought Pearl in English. Now I'm restarting my Japanese game and keeping Pearl as my master version, which is a bit backwards from how I usually do it.

I typically bought both versions as well.

Fire Red was my "primary" version, Leaf Green I used to re-start several times to get every starter as well as Raikou and Entei.

Sapphire was my "primary" version, however I had a full save file on Ruby as well. Emerald is used to supplement whatever captures I couldn't make :p

Unfortunately, I don't own Diamond or Pearl but I would assume it would be just as helpful to keep up with the current pattern. If you have the money, go for it.

I don't have both right now, mainly because I don't have two DS systems and wouldn't be able to trade with myself. I do want to get Pearl at some point, though. I like having both versions of each generation.

So you're supposed to be able to trade between Pearl and Diamond with the Pokemon Farm thing for the Wii? That sounds cool. When is Farm supposed to come out in the US, anyway?

I always buy both. But I feel stupid because about a month ago I lost my Pearl copy. It really didn't matter cause I have all my good Pokemon are on Diamond but I really want to know where I lost Pearl. But I must just end up buying a new one.

I love your username 8D My first shiny was a Zubat who eventually was a Crobat built like a tank on my Silver Version. We go wayyy back ;P

I did end up buying Diamond today. Not sure when I'll have much time to play it; it might be a winter break project.

I literally just bought Pearl a few days ago... I already had Diamond. I am playing this one through without trading over GTS so I can build a team that isn't 3 starters. I love being able to have two teams to battle with over wifi.

I really wanted both versions, but I couldn't afford them both. I just got Pearl. College Student is synonymous with broke, so it's a miracle that I could afford that alone.

But then again, I had been very frugal with my food budget for the preceding month, so I had lost about 5 pounds AND I got Pearl!

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom