• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bruce Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooper

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I just saw Enter the Dragon today, and It was pretty awesome. But, in the movie, Lee did not really seem to use his kicking ability, at least not as much as his pokemon namesake. What do you think?

I think... that the creature we know as "Hitmonlee" wasn't originally named after Bruce Lee, but after Tadashi Sawamura, who was "dubiously reputed to be the world's first kickboxer." (Hitmonlee=Sawamular in Japanese) Don't know why they chose Lee when they could have chosen... CHUCK NORRIS!

Last edited:
Ha. Why didn't they name Hitmontop after a martial arts star? Hitmonnorris?

I don't know. It is interesting, though, that Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan's names in both Japanese and English allude to famous people, but Hitmontop's names don't (its Japanese name, Capoeira, is a martial arts/dance mixture).

Probably because the American couldn't think of a good spinning martial artist to add the Hitmon to. So they just went with what it looks like, a spinning top.

Lol, someone on SPPF thought Tyrouge was named after Mike TYson....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom