• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bruno and Brock

coolcatkim22

You look good at Pokemon but how's you chem?
Reaction score
Okay, why is it that Brock and Bruno used to be so much a like:
RB_Bruno.png

Brockblue.png

Both:
No shirt
Slit eyes
Messy Hair

Also:
Bruno almost always has a Onix which was Brock's signature Pokemon in the anime.

But they really don't look at lot like their first sprites any more:
150px-FireRed_LeafGreen_Bruno.png

180px-FireRed_LeafGreen_Brock.png

I got three theories why:
1. They were uncreative at the time (I kind of doubt it though)
2. Bruno was orginally suppose to be the first gym leader but after making his sprite they determined he was too big for a first gym leader but instead of discarding Bruno they made him a member of the elite four.
3. Bruno and Brock are related or were suppose to be realted.

Discuss.

They're both "Tough" Trainers. I guess that may have been the reasoning why they're alike in a few ways.

Not relatives... Will not ever be.

Anyways in the Anime, Brock considered him as an Idol, not as a relative... Duh.

ALSO they might've had a little uncreativity. I think the more recent artwork on Brock was based on his Anime appearance.

"2. Bruno was orginally suppose to be the first gym leader but after making his sprite they determined he was too big for a first gym leader but instead of discarding Bruno they made him a member of the elite four."

Interesting theory.

I think the more recent artwork on Brock was based on his Anime appearence

Doubt it. Look at his RGBY TCG artwork and they gave him regular clothing.

Brock is a rock type trainer. Think people that train near mountains and such. What comes to mind?

Likewise with Bruno.

I honestly don't understand when being shirtless became a way of discerning one's genealogy, but Brock apparently had a white T-shirt in Gen I's official art. By that logic, Chuck is also a relative.

Theories are supposed to have evidence behind it. Yours are just guesses.

Considering they had a fame checker and one of the sections were called "Family and Friends", and it wasn't mentioned, they aren't related.

Last edited:
So three charactaristics are supposed to make a person similar to the point of extremity?

I think maybe Brock and Bruno are just clones and one of them didn't like how he failed when women would pepper spray him so he beefed it up.

No points if you know who I'm talking about.

they are based on the anime.. back then sprites were kinda crappy. now they look like, wait for it.. the anime versions :eek:

they are based on the anime.. back then sprites were kinda crappy. now they look like, wait for it.. the anime versions

I'm not sure what your looking at buy Brock's HgSs artwork looks nothing like his anime counterpart, and neither does Bruno. In fact, the closest piece of work where Bruno looked like his anime counterpart was in the first generation, except his eyes were closed. Now, he looks pretty different from his past self and if it wasn't for the fact that we know they were both Bruno, they could pass them off as two separate mountain men.

And the anime was based off the games. Bruno's anime counterpart was based off the games.

Not relatives... Will not ever be.

Anyways in the Anime, Brock considered him as an Idol, not as a relative... Duh.

ALSO they might've had a little uncreativity. I think the more recent artwork on Brock was based on his Anime appearance.

"2. Bruno was orginally suppose to be the first gym leader but after making his sprite they determined he was too big for a first gym leader but instead of discarding Bruno they made him a member of the elite four."

Interesting theory.

If anything Idolatry is more likely to make them related, not less.

I consider Related in some way, Bruno is an uncle, or cousin maybe?

Sure I see how people can think they're connected. I know I did at first. But I don't think they are. FRLG had the perfect way of connecting them and it didn't happen.

His sprite's 54 by 56 pixels long. My idea is that they realised that he would look ridiculous as a low level gym leader and thus made him a trainer of more importance.

I don't think Bruno's eyes were closed, but they were just botched up. :p
Of course, they could have been related and just not shown in FR/LG...
Also, if Bruno was the first gym leader, it would destroy the "Bulbasaur destroys" strategy that most people used in Red/Blue.
Plus, Brock's already got a father, so Bruno would be his... uncle?

Also, if Bruno was the first gym leader, it would destroy the "Bulbasaur destroys" strategy that most people used in Red/Blue.

Maybe... Bruno is Brock's elder brother?

How would it not be shown in FrLg if they were related? It's a piece of trivia that's way more interesting than most of the other trivia they have like Bruno liking Rage candy bars and even that Bruno trained with Brawley.

Your point on Bulbasaur doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not he could have been the first gym leader and has as much evidence towards it as the claim that he was supposed to be the first leader anyway.

I highly doubt they're related. If they were it probably would have been brought up by now (probably in FireRed/LeafGreen).

Maybe... Bruno is Brock's elder brother?

It's mentioned a few times in the anime that Brock is the oldest.Bruno can't be his father either, since we already know who his father is.

They're both just awesome tough guys. Maybe Brock was trying to emulate Bruno. He did seem to really admire him when the gang met Bruno in the mountains.

Game Brock doesn't even mention that Bruno is his idol, and his current appearance suggests the opposite of him trying to emulate Bruno.

Game Brock doesn't even mention that Bruno is his idol, and his current appearance suggests the opposite of him trying to emulate Bruno.

In the game, you don't get too comfortable with Brock...meeting him once and all.

And in the anime, since he's traveling around all the time...probably best he wears a shirt. He doesn't want to steal Misty/Pikachu/Latias/May/Max/Dawn away from Ash with his awesome abs! D:

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom