• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbacast Season 2 Question of the Week

Nick

<b>The Walrus</b>
Reaction score
Starting with Bulbacast Season 2 Episode 1 there is a new feature called the Question of the Week... For this episode (and we will read your responses on the next cast) the question of the week is... Should the Battle Tower/Frontier be phased out as a challenge in the games?

No doubt anyone who has the played the games has gone through the Battle Tower in Ruby/Sapphire and the Battle Frontier in Emerald, or most of you have. Also, no doubt most of you have built up a nice streak only to have a move miss and get hit by a critical hit. So... In the 5th Generation, should the Battle Tower be phased out? Has the time for getting 100 wins ran it's course?

No. They are good places to learn your team's strengths and weaknesses, and to try out new attacks and combos and junk.

Personally, I am not motivated to get the 100 wins. After the Battle Frontier, I wouldn't want to see much more emphasis on the Tower in future. However, I still think Game Freak should think carefully if they do consider removing it.

The Tower's main advantage is that it is a useful feature for those who are into pure battling. So it would be interesting to know what that section of the fandom think of it next to Netbattle and Wifi.

The Frontier is nice, but the Tower on its own needs to go. The Tower is a little boring after a while, but the Frontier adds for a little variety.

I agree that they needed the BT at least as part of Emerald's Battle Frontier, so that it could link to RS's. I do think it's a bit old, though. I mean, it's either All-50 or All-100, and there's little to no variety. If they had a Battle Tower bringing back the Stadium and Stadium 2 cups, though, I'd like it. Especially the Little Cup. I always liked that, and now it'd make more of a difference in breeding skills than to just be lucky, with abilities and natures raising and lowering stats.

Battle Frontier, though... that can exist for another generation or so. After all, as a whole, it's got a lot more than even the Stadium games.

I would say that I never really liked doing those things because you don't gain EXP. from them. Also like what Archaic was saying about it being a hassel to level pokemon to level 100.

I never actually battled in the Battle Tower on Emerald. My negative experiences with it in Crystal gave me a strong aversion to it. All of the Pokemon had beastly movesets, insane stats, and impossible luck. Everything hit, everything paralyzed or confused. I prefer the Battle Factory, and I hope that if any facility returns for the third installment of D/P, that would be it. Pure battling was never my cup of tea, and I'm sure a majority of the fanbase at large would agree.

Yeah, battling with a team of Pokemon you never dreamed of using (a la the Factory) was really fun.

The Battle Tower now seems to be intertwined with the games that it should not simply be phased out. There are enough people willing to take the challenge that it should remain in the game.

However, I suggest that when you lose your winning streak in the Tower, instead of starting over from battle 1, you may begin your conquest at the point of one-half of the total consecutive battles you just won (i.e. if you failed after winning your 40th battle, you restart as though you just won your 20th battle). That way, the boring battles can be skipped, though the challenging battles must be fought again.

There was a Battle Tower in R/S? Goes to show how much I care about the feature. I don't think I ever bothered with it, even as far back as crystal. However I wouldn't say it would need to be phased out of the game just because I don't use it.

Now where is it in R/S?

Episode 3 is in the books so this next question will be answered in episode 4.

What would you like to see in the third installment of the fourth generation games? Basically, what changes do you want to Diamond and Pearl (if you've played them)?

I would most certainly like to see a non DS to DS version of the Underground. As far as I know, the DS looses more battery power doing stuff like DS to DS and Wi-fi. Despite it supposed to be a group thing...sometimes there is no group to do it with, you know?

Last edited:
Misty said:
More plot. :] DP had a lot of good ideas from what I can tell, but I think they could take it up a notch. Emerald did this very well, so I don't think that's a tough request.
How can you so vehemently oppose the idea of remakes when you prioritize additional plot development in a third game?

A few things I want:

1. Customizable outfits. Like in PBR.
2. A New Battle Frontier.
3. Some more ways of WiFi battling.
4. Better animations.
5. More plot.
6. Around 250 Pokemon available for capture prior the National Dex.
7. The GL and E4 rematch with new Pokemon.

GSC couldn't have a good plot without a major revamp. A third game for DP could do it pretty easily, from what I can tell.
So in other words, you don't find Game Freak to be up for the challenge of revamping Gold and Silver? They should only bother with what can easily be done?

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom