• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol.5

Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 5 PLEASE SPOILER TAG ORAS PLOT CHA

I know what you mean. I don't go diving for music because it's obscure or strange, I just listen to what I like. Now and then it's something with huge pop appeal, like Abbey Road, but other times I may want to listen to something without mass appeal, something a little less delicate on the ears, like Albert Ayler or Yellow Swans.

Jazz, to me, is the sound of America. Jazz for many people was the American dream, they were able to prosper in a land so distant from their heritage. Breaking through slavery and racism to becoming a dominant cultural landmark. I totally get where your coming from, but I think hip-hop hasn't been as important to black and American culture for as long as jazz in it's prime was.

The second, or third, greatest American art form is surely American culinary delights like cheese in a tube.

Re: The Bulbagarden Conversational Chat Thread Vol 5 PLEASE SPOILER TAG ORAS PLOT CHA

I know what you mean. I don't go diving for music because it's obscure or strange, I just listen to what I like. Now and then it's something with huge pop appeal, like Abbey Road, but other times I may want to listen to something without mass appeal, something a little less delicate on the ears, like Albert Ayler or Yellow Swans.

Yup, looks like we're on the same page here. I listened to Godspeed You! Black Emperor before you did, though, so I win. :I

Jazz, to me, is the sound of America. Jazz for many people was the American dream, they were able to prosper in a land so distant from their heritage. Breaking through slavery and racism to becoming a dominant cultural landmark. I totally get where your coming from, but I think hip-hop hasn't been as important to black and American culture for as long as jazz in it's prime was.

Yeah, jazz is pretty unmistakably American as well. To me, though, hip-hop has a stronger emphasis on respectfully acknowledging the past and then incorporating that into something new. When I say that, I'm mainly talking about turn-tables, which is probably the most "American" of musical instruments in that sense, if you ask me. Just the idea of using pre-recorded music to make new sounds and compositions is the epitome of that idea to me. So because the turn-table sees the most musical use in the realm of hip-hop, and plus the observation that hip-hop MCs don't really come up with narratives and take on characters as much as they acknowledge the world around them and talk about themselves, that to me is a perfect musical adaptation of the "melting pot" that America is.

Jazz and hip-hop are both borne of the black culture, but even on my side of the melting pot, I think bluegrass is also a great American sound. I couldn't name any names, but I'd love to find some reliable bluegrass groups that I can get behind. I love the chemistry of the mandolin, the violin (or "fiddle", as we call it within bluegrass), the guitar, the banjo, and the bass, and I also like how bluegrass vocalists typically have an unmistakable Southern American accent to them while not being obnoxious about it like "country" (which I don't think is much different from pop, honestly).

The second, or third, greatest American art form is surely American culinary delights like cheese in a tube.

I thought long and hard once about what, besides fast food, could be considered purely "American" cuisine, and I settled on barbeque. You should eat some.

I totally get you, jazz and hip-hop are two sides of the same coin. Early 20th century jazz borrowed from regional music, feild hollers and slave tunes. Black jazz musicans took the songs passed down to them and started to play them in America. They took the banjo from old timey folk music and made it their own within in their own music. Hip Hop then took the horns and breaks of funk, the social consciousness from soul and the groove from disco and R&B. Hip Hop really is a continuation of the rich music that defines American culture.

I've never dipped into Bluegrass, but this should be a good way to start: Top Bluegrass Albums of All Time

You should dip into bluegrass, it's basically Scottish because it was the Scots who brought the banjo over and then moved out to the boonies and became hillbillies.

Can I call myself a hipster if I wear custom Doctor Who and Pokemon shirts from RedBubble?

Can I call myself a hipster if I wear custom Doctor Who and Pokemon shirts from RedBubble?

You can call yourself a hipster no matter what you do. In fact, you can call yourself anything you want no matter what.

You can call yourself a hipster no matter what you do. In fact, you can call yourself anything you want no matter what.

Exactly. For example, I'm a genderfluid transqueer bipandemigreysexual redpandakin.

I'm just a guy. Maybe.

I didn't know Bluegrass had its roots in Scottish immigrants, but I suppose that makes sense since it's all traditional instruments that would have been used in Scots folk and traditional music.

Hellooooo new people or people who are still here.

I so cannot wait for Christmas. It is going to be so awesome with family and them opening all the gifts I got from travelling.

As for me I like alcohol, so I go nuts.

Last edited:

I'm flying to South Korea very soon now! Next thing I'm probably going to do is to post again once I'm there.

Be seeing you guys very soon!

I remember when I was little during Christmas. I would spend 2 hours brushing my hair so that Santa would reward me because my hair was so amazing.

I'm looking forward to making Christmas brunch!

I'm looking forward to the food and presents! I have to go out on the 23rd. Said i'd go to a Christmas party. I'm dreading it. A sign of how antisocial i've become. I haven't been drunk in ages and I don't fancy spending Christmas Eve with a hangover but I have no choice now. It was either accept the invitation or seem like a miserable sod.

I just had to go to a Christmas party last night, so you're not alone. It was a family invitation by a group of people that I don't really know, and some people that I'm not the biggest fans of were there as well. I went to a Smash tournament with 50 people crowded in a local game store the night before, where I had to crowd my way past so many people just to get a glimpse of the matches. The party was *so* much worse. I literally couldn't move 2 feet without bumping into 5 people. I ended up finding a cozy spot behind the Christmas tree where I could watch twitch streams. I like parties, but not where you're crowded as hell and only know people you dislike.

I'm looking forward to the food and presents! I have to go out on the 23rd. Said i'd go to a Christmas party. I'm dreading it. A sign of how antisocial i've become. I haven't been drunk in ages and I don't fancy spending Christmas Eve with a hangover but I have no choice now. It was either accept the invitation or seem like a miserable sod.

Then don't drink? You can still enjoy yourself and not drink or go full on.

I'm too used to staying at home with family on Christmas, it'd feel weird if I were to go a Christmas party. I'm not much of a party person either xD

It feels funny to see snow for real for the first time.

It feels funny to see snow for real for the first time.

I know how you feel. I've only seen snow twice in my life, and I had to go out of state to see it since I've lived in Florida almost as long as I can remember. The only reason I say "almost" is because I have one memory of life before my family moved to Florida, and until two years ago that was my only memory of snow. (It's also funny how the only two times I've seen snow were in New Mexico and Texas, and I was born in Michigan.)

Peoples should nen no RR fasuoj conscious because fashion is important. I libeb mm snow bevuaue it xd pretty but we d omt have snow here because it is summer

Back
Top Bottom