• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbagarden's very own Pokédex Project!

RebornRocks

Do it, like an Animal...
Reaction score
Yup, we're going to make our own Pokédex of completely original Pokémon! Of course, this won't just be limited to sprites. There is a process a Pokémon will have to go through before being "official":

1.Ideas and sketch: Someone will pitch an idea. If enough people like it, then we will start to make sketches of it. Other people will get to edit your design.

1a.Make sure your idea makes sense. Don't just make an idea for a Pokémon because you think it will look awesome. Did you think the people at GameFreak made Blaziken because they though a five-foot fire-breathing chicken would look cool? Cause' the Blaziken family is actually based on a legendary fire-breathing chicken.

2.Final Art: This will be done in a Ken Sugimori style. This has to be done by a really good artist.

3.Sprite: The final step for a Pokémon. Front sprites are necessary. Back sprites and overworlds are optional. Try your best to make it look like a Pokémon sprite.

Now let's lay some facts down:

* We need a set number of Pokémon. I say we have... 143. That sounds good.

* I believe that, in order to allow more creative freedom, we should have no new Pokémon related to old ones. However, since I know that there are people who want new pre-evolutions and evolutions, I will allow six Pokémon to be related to old ones.

*We also need our Pokémon expies. I feel these ones need to be in our Pokédex:

Grass starters have all been reptiles. (A dinosaur, another dinosaur, a lizard, a turtle, a snake)
Fire starters have all been part of the Chinese Zodiac. (A dragon, a rat, a rooster, a monkey, a pig)
Water starters have all been water-based animals. (A turtle, an alligator, a... mudkip?, a penguin, an otter)

Birdie:pidgey, Hoot-Hoot, Tailow, Starly, and Pidove: A bird. Period.

Good Bug: Caterpie, Ledyba, Kriketot(?), and Kurumiru: A cute and innocent looking bug. Ends up not being part poison.

Bad Bug: Weedle, Spinarak, Burmy(?), and Fushide: A, while cute, somewhat mischeivous bug. Most are part poison

Fighter:Machop, Makuhita, and Dokkora: You know the deal.

Cute legendary:Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Manaphy, and Victini

Big Rock: Geodude, Aron(?), and Dangoro: Little rock like pokemon that eventually evolve into pokemon the size of boulders.

Psuedo legendary: You know the deal.

Fossils:You know the deal.

*Also, how many legendaries? I say we see what happens and when theres a fair number, we stop.

So, with these rules, let's get started!

This actually sounds really cool, I'm in! I hope a lot of people join in so we can get this done. :) I can throw in some ideas, sketch and even do some final art if you want. I'm also pretty good at spriting from skratch, even though I haven't done it in a while. Now I'll really have to get to sleep, but I can post some ideas here tomorrow~ (It's not like I have many, though xD)

Last edited:
I can do ideas, but sadly I cannot sketch. Sounds like a good idea though.

Okay, now I have time to write more. First about the starters, I really like how you gathered the common themes with starters of each type. I had never realized that zodiac thing with the fire starters. So this is what I'd like the starters to be:
-Grass starter could be a bird, since we have had both fire and water starters to be birds already. Birds also fits the reptile theme, because birds can be considered to be reptiles (they have evolved straight from dinosaurs, which are reptiles).
-If we continue the Chinese Zodiac theme, I think a sheep/goat would be a cool fire starter. The final form could have those huge horns that old goats have.
- Water starter... I don't have any ideas for now. ^^"

Since this is Bulbagarden's project, I looked through some speculation threads for good ideas. I got a couple of ideas for birds and mixed them with my own:
- A flightless bird. This could be a kiwi that evolves into a big, moa-like bird. I think this would also work for the grass starter, since kiwi's feathers could be turned to grass pretty easily.
- For a Normal/Flying type bird, I'd love to have a woodpecker. Sombody mentioned that it could have the Rock Head ability, which I think would fit very well.
- Other birds I'd like to have: a hummingbird, a toucan, birds belonging to the crow family(crows, magpies, ravens and the like)... But I don't want to fill the dex with birds, so we'll see. :p

I have an idea. (can't sketch, but maybe I can sprite.)

How about a cuttlefish Pokémon?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuttlefish

I think it would be intresting because the cuttlefish is able to change the entire shape of its body. It could have diffrent forms. Maybe it could learn Camouflague too.

A few more ideas.

Call me a Castform ripper, but I think it would be intresting to have a Water type that freezes into ice and becomes Ice-type in hail, and becomes a steamy fire type in sunshine. A few moves it could learn:

Several water type moves
Boil Over
Ice Shard

Would be pretty weak, but every Gen has weakmon, huh? Wouldn't be too similar to Castform; it can never be Normal type.

As for starters, I think a snakefish might suit for water. Reasons:
They walk on land.
Have a cool - sounding name.
The walk on land thing would help sort out the situation of air in real life.
Easy to sketch/sprite

what does everyone else think?

Annoying Rock thingy: Slate Pokémon? Maybe it could evolve into a Granite one later on.
Bad Bug: Stag Beetle. Let's make the annoying bug actually STRONG for once. Wait... Heracross prevo?

Last edited:
-Grass starter could be a bird, since we have had both fire and water starters to be birds already. Birds also fits the reptile theme, because birds can be considered to be reptiles (they have evolved straight from dinosaurs, which are reptiles).

Come to think of it, I actually made a grass bird in October. I had planned for it to be Grass/Dark. The fire starter was supposed to be Fire/Psychic, and the wayer starter was supposed to be Water/Fighting. However, I only made the Grass starters design:

pcopyf.png

Also, theres a lot of other expies I have gathered. Since there are so much, we can leve out a few:

Poisonous Blob: Grimer, Gulpin, and Yabakuron: Name explains it all. A pure poison type.

Although this has only been done once...
Cute Fairy: Clefairy and Minccino: A very cute pokemon. When it evolves, it retains most of it's previous features.

Psychic Fasionista: Jynx, Gardevoir, and Gochiruzeru: A Psychic type whose appearance is based on a certain type of Fashion.

Electric Mammal: Mareep, Shinx, and Blitzle: An electric mammal. Generally uses an aspect of it's real life animal counterpart to release electricity

Healer: Chansey, Miltank(?), and Tabbune: Pokemon that heal others.

Water dweller: Poliwag, Wooper(?), Surskit(?), and Omataro: Amphibious water dwelling pokemon.

The two warriors: Hitmonlee/Hitmonchan, Nageki/Dageki: Two fighting type pokemon that somewhat similar appearances and are in a way opposite in fighting style.

Emo canine: Lucario and Zoroark

Pokeballer: Voltorb and Tamegetake: Pokemon that have a spherical area on their design to have the pokeball design

Tentacles: Tentacool and Pururiru: Water type Jellyfish/Squid/Octopus

Angry pinecone: Pineco and Tesseed: A limbless pokemon with very little visible ways for it to attack it's opponent

Steel Duplicator:Magnemite and Klink

Cute-to-Ferocious Bear: Teddiursa and Kumasyun

A load of Bull: Tauros and Buffalon

Krab kings: Krabby, Corphish, and Ishizumai

Poor old fish:Magikarp, Feebas, and Shibishirasu

Ugly Duckling:psyduck and Koaruhie

Cute Seal: Seel and Spheal

Cute Ghost:Gastly, Duskull, and Hitomoshi

Sorry reborn... I can't draw very well. The most I could give you would be type, name, and description....

Oh gods no part Fighting type please! It has been there for three gens now.

Well I do have an idea on a grass/dragon or grass/flying starter. Maybe as a final evolution.

Ever hear of Quetzalcoatl? The Aztec God. It is described as a flying serpent. It is a reptile so it could work out and is basically awesome.

Here is a wiki link so you can read more.

Oh gods no part Fighting type please! It has been there for three gens now.

Well I do have an idea on a grass/dragon or grass/flying starter. Maybe as a final evolution.

Ever hear of Quetzalcoatl? The Aztec God. It is described as a flying serpent. It is a reptile so it could work out and is basically awesome.

Here is a wiki link so you can read more.

Hmmm, the Aztec origins and powerful depictions make me want it as a possible legendary. Also, it's Aztec origins can make it be related to Shinbora and the Unown.

Well then, I can try (and fail) to work out a sketch and name ideas.

Quetzalcoatlus is a type of dinosaur. If you're going for something based on the aztec god, you should make it look like a huge pteradactl.

I have several sprites made (a evo set based off of blue birds, an evo set based off of cardinals, several mythical animal based pokemon, and some unique spiders) but I can really sketch or anything like that.

Did anyone see my ideas? :p

I love the idea of a *insert unpronounceable Aztec god name here* Pokemon. But that God is also the name of a prehistoric reptile which Aerodactyl is based off.

I'd love to be a part of this project. I can help with sprites, sketches and concepts, maybe official art but I'm not the best at Sugimori style.

I think the fire starter could possibly be a tiger. It fits the zodiac theme, is orange and the stripes could easily be changed to a flame pattern. Failing that, maybe a dingo or an ant?

For the grass starter, a peacock would be fun to design. I'm really tempted to draw a grass-type kiwi and make a pun on kiwi fruit, too. XD

Not sure about the water starter. Maybe a dolphin or an orca whale?

Also, I'd really like to have a pokemon based on the orhid mantis. :D

I could help with sprites, but I'm not that good at scratches, so I would most likely give ideas.

I was hoping this would garner more attention. Come on people, this will be fun!

P.S. Not every Poké needs a legend behind it. Buneary is just based on a rabbit. Geodude is only based on the thought of a living rock. Hell, you'd expect Mudkip to at least be partly based on a mud monster or something, but it's just a mudskipper.

(Am I allowed to post at this time?)

Anyway, I had the idea of a reverse type cycle for the starters:

The Fire-type would be Fire/Electric to to have an advantage over Water-types.

The Water-type would be Water/Bug to have an advantage over Grass-types.

And the Grass-type would be Grass/Rock to have an advantage over Fire-types.

As for ideas... I don't know. Maybe some sort of water bug for the Water-type.

This is an epic idea... I have tons of drawings, although Im the not the greatest artist. Ill upload them later...

Back
Top Bottom