• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW010: Rival Battle! The Strong Opponent Pururill!

I don't find TR's plot jarring. I'm actually more interested to see where their plot is going than seeing Ash lose to the Shooty and his Paul the octopus' ghost (oh the irony).

I mean, is Shooty like a battle child prodigy or something? I find it annoying that he is so strong.

Hatoboh or however it's spelt, is ugly as hell. Janovy vs Tsutarja was pretty funny but that's it.

Well, to be fair, Pokabu, Mijumaru, and Mamepato are all new, so them losing first wasn't that odd. Pikachu and Tsutarja naturally lasted longer because Pikachu is Pikachu, and Tsutarja had a lot of experience already prior to it being captured, so I guess the writers took that into account. It's not that bothersome to me really with that in mind, although I do wish Ash beat 4 of Shooti's Pokemon instead of only 2, but I guess they want to build his team up and didn't want to spoil the other 2. I'm guessing he'll have a Fire-type down the road since he's going for a team similar to Ash's (maybe Kuitaran?), and I'd also like to see him get Emonga to counter Pikachu. Last slot can be a surprise, I guess, to match Meguroc...I dunno, Crimgan? He seems like a cool guy.

Also, Dogasu, did they comment on the fact Shooti has already evolved Tsutarja and Mamepato? I'm wondering if they were going for a "evolve them as soon as possible!" vibe with him, and possibly that may bite him in the butt later on.

Also, apparently Hatoboh was using Super Luck, so that explains why he beat Mijumaru and Pokabu so fast.

Last edited:
Poor Mijumaru, Mamepato, and Pokabu didn't manage to get a single hit in it. So, maybe it was just me, but I was practically cheering when Pikachu beat that flying buzzard.

I also thought Pururiru was pretty badass.

Dag, Ash got steamrollered. Either this rival is a prodigy or he has an angle that has not been addressed yet. Well, I have a flimsy excuse at the very least. We already know he likes to take pictures during battle. Perhaps he is just incredibly observant, something we know Ash has not perfected yet. However, it doesn't help that his pokes have hax abilities. This makes me concerned because a lot of fifth gens have hax abilities, or are just incredibly strong. Perhaps this region truly is a different game than the others.

On to the highlights, then. We have a third Nurse Jenny for the mix, TR proceeds to kick more butt, Iris is a hypocrite (we already knew that), and snakey has a hilarious battle with it's evo. On one hand, we find out that the rival's snakey is male, which makes things interesting, but on the other hand, snakey just beat it's evo. In the anime, that is a GUARANTEED not evo. I was afraid this would happen. It matters little since the rival can have the evos even if Ash doesn't. It would also be odd for them to choose the Grass starter for this, since it's always been the one that does evo since Bayleef. This makes the playing field more favorable for otter and piggy, but I'm disappointed that Ash's snakey now has this stigma on it. It has Attract, so I hope it becomes suitably kickbutt to make up for it.

Pikachu really needs to swap out Volt Tackle, i'm sorry but that move is costing it so much more as time goes on.

Shooti is probably the only new character in Best Wishes who is lackluster compared to who came directly before him.

Ash getting stomped by Shooti was fairly predictable. I don't like how both Mijumaru, Pokabu, and Mamepato all got slaughterd. Tsutarja was cool, and Pikachu was well Pikachu.

I wonder if they are building up a rivaly with Pikachu, and Janovy? Pikachu has now lost to it twice. I hope it get's a chance to redeem itself.

Shooti is fairly boring right now.

Shooti is fairly boring right now.

It doesn't help matters that he literally looks like Paul's design with a color swap and different eyes. What were they thinking with just lighter colored hair and similar clothes?

At least if he LOOKED different, he'd be slightly more interesting.

Ehhhh not really feelin' Shooti so far e___e; I mean it just seems weird that his Pokemon are so powerful compared to Ash's. Maybe he trains a lot more or something but jeez.

I was disappointed that Mijumaru, Pokabu, and Mamepato got OHKO'd without doing like anything, but I'm glad Tsutarja got to kick some ass. She's becoming one of my faves haha. And where did she get Leaf Blade from? Now she has 3 grass moves, so weird.

Anyway it was a cool ep and I hope this means Ash will start training his guys more, especially Mijumaru and Pokabu, those guys are really looking lame lately.

I don't understand why many of you is so surprised to see that Ash's rival has so many strong pokemon even if he is a beginner. It is always the same thing we saw in previous regions. I am so pissed of it. So I already dropped to watch this show after Sinnoh region. For me Pokemon series ended after battle with Takuto. What we see now is a pathetic remake to first season. And nothing more. Ash is not a noob and his Pikachu could easily defeat all of Shooti polemon. We saw this result only because of writers and this happens in every region. I really liked this show, there were many great moments, batlles like in Battle Frontier. But.. To show Ash like this after Sinnoh league... I don't know what to say.

Maybe in future I'll watch some episodes of this show but only when we'll see E4 challenge. But this won't happen I think ever.

This is my last post I think. And I am really dissappointed to finsh it like this.

Ok... This battle was good, but it should have been 3-on-3. Pikachu beats Hatobooh, Janobi beats Pikachu, Tsutarja beats Janobi, Blue blob beats Mamepato and Tsutarja. The time they spent on Mijumaru and Pokabu could have been used to not destroy their battle record and give Mamepato more screentime.

Shooti was ok, not mindblowing unlike THE ROCKETS! Ok I was on the edge of my seat squealing when they did that 360 shot and and when the truck jumped off the highway OMG! Bishie rocket is cool!

Dento was funny here, I really like him. Iris... Iris was funny but then again I was sorta feeling like she wasn't in any position to lecture people about training pokemon cause she's sort of a crap trainer :D

I don't understand why many of you is so surprised to see that Ash's rival has so many strong pokemon even if he is a beginner. It is always the same thing we saw in previous regions. I am so pissed of it. So I already dropped to watch this show after Sinnoh region. For me Pokemon series ended after battle with Takuto. What we see now is a pathetic remake to first season. And nothing more. Ash is not a noob and his Pikachu could easily defeat all of Shooti polemon. We saw this result only because of writers and this happens in every region. I really liked this show, there were many great moments, batlles like in Battle Frontier. But.. To show Ash like this after Sinnoh league... I don't know what to say.

Maybe in future I'll watch some episodes of this show but only when we'll see E4 challenge. But this won't happen I think ever.

This is my last post I think. And I am really dissappointed to finsh it like this.

Please, it's much too early to give up on this installment of the series. Shooti is much more boring than Paul, but this is fucking Paul we're talking about. It's comparable to how people preferred May's rivals to Dawn's rivals. Why? Because May's rivals were a metrosexual jerk and a over-the-top homosexual man with a personal vendetta for a silly reason. Compared to Dawn's rivals, who on the whole were well-adjusted, nice people (save Ursula) May's rivals shared a lot more tension. Same deal can be applied to people who preferred the game's Blue (MOTHERFUCKING OAK) and the defrosting Silver over the shy Wally and hyperactive Barry.

+ The music that plays in the beginning of Ash and Shooti's battle is my favorite

It's a slight variation on the Gym Battle theme.

Anyway, loved this episode.

Turning Swallow Cut actually seems to resemble its inspiration now! Plus Water Pulse looks deadly now.

I enjoyed the Tsutarja battles immensely and found Pururiru to be interesting, especially with Evil Eye.

It's a shame about Pokabu and Mamepato, but I'm sure they will get some good focus soon so I'm content.

The Rocket-Dan having freaking jetpacks made me smile.

Overall, my favourite episode yet of BW. Can't wait to see how much more of a threat Shuuti can be, especially with his other Pokémon.

Janovy: "Beano."

Desperate Rocket Dan. Dennis Genesect the Menace.

Joking aside, rewatching this, it was easier to appreciate some of the really slick animation on Iwane's part, during most of Hatobo's battling. That shot with Aerial Ace where it quickly approaches the camera for an extreme close-up was really something else.

That said, supposedly male Kenhorou are poor fliers compared to the females. I wonder if Hato is going to lose it's ability to pull off most of the stuff it did here later down the line?

As an added note, speaking of animation; They're using a lot of stock footage this series. I don't really like seeing those exact same Pokabu's Ember/Mijumaru's Water Gun/Tsutarja's Vine Whip shots constantly.

Last edited:
Janovy: "Beano."

Desperate Rocket Dan. Dennis Genesect the Menace.

Joking aside, rewatching this, it was easier to appreciate some of the really slick animation on Iwane's part, during most of Hatobo's battling. That shot with Aerial Ace where it quickly approaches the camera for an extreme close-up was really something else.

That said, supposedly male Kenhorou are poor fliers compared to the females. I wonder if Hato is going to lose it's ability to pull off most of the stuff it did here later down the line?

As an added note, speaking of animation; They're using a lot of stock footage this series. I don't really like seeing those exact same Pokabu's Ember/Mijumaru's Water Gun/Tsutarja's Vine Whip shots constantly.

Well new footage for moves and somewhat less impressive episode animation or stock footage and better animation

take your pick

personally, I prefer better animation

the stock footage is a minor thing

Edit: ok now I watched the episode

AWESOME!

I have to agree on the too much stock footage, but the new one was awe inspiring

evil eye looks awesome (and pururiru sounds cute too)

Last edited:
Pikachu really needs to swap out Volt Tackle, i'm sorry but that move is costing it so much more as time goes on.

if he doesn;'t lose to volt tackle he'll lose to some thing else. personally i like having volt tackles damaging side affect as a semi-excuse to why pikachu loses. i have never been in the pikachu should be level 100 and owning people camp but i like having that excuse never the less.

i don't know japanese but it seemed like iris was exciting to talk to shooti as if he was an old firned or a guy she had a crush on.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom