• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW020: Pikachu VS Meguroco VS Koaruhie!!

Saw the episode... Quick thoughts...

- Was I the only one getting the feeling that they just copy pasted the Kibago's and Zuruggu's last battle scene.
- LOL at Zuruggu during the battle, it's so adorable!
- Mijumaru lets itself out... again... yawn...
- Ash is taken underground by Meguroko and loses all of its pokéball in the process, that was sorta funny.
- Dento loses his cloche! What is this? No super panicky neat freak Dento. Shame on you writers!
- Pansage and Excadrill, thanks for dropping bye and doing nothing...
- HOLD UP! Who messed up Stone Edge's animation? The new one looks like a CGI messa-palooza.
- Bla bla bla, Pikachu get super charged... ready to learn a new move
- New move learned, Dento and Iris return.
- Ducks get blasted, Pre-BW Team Rocket style! Maybe they'll come back in trench coats with no personality:p
- DENTO IS REUNITED WITH HIS CLOCHE! I laughed. Dento made me laugh.
- Zuruggu gives his hat back to Ash... ADORABLE!
- Battle, Sandile evolves, but gets blasted off.

Overall a good lighthearted sorta funny episode. Enjoyable but not super memorable.

Thing I learned from this episode...

- I don't care about Iris. For weeks, I kept thinking, "If only she would do stuff, she'd be interesting." But quite frankly, this is the Best Wishes episode in which she got the most focus outside of BW009 and she still played no part in the resolution of the plot, didn't really contribute a whole lot to the episode itself. I don't dislike Iris, I don't like her either. I'm just indifferent to her character, because ultimately, it feels right now like she has no purpose whatsoever on this show, that this isn't leading anywhere. She just feels that she's there so Ash has someone to talk to and her Axew is there to help Ash's Zuruggu evolve, but it doesn't feel to me like she has any purpose or reason to exist outside of Ash. She doesn't feel like a character in her own right and that bores me.

- Mijumaru needs to stay in its ball. Period. His thing this ep was not funny, and it was just annoying.

- Excadrill who? Who is it? How did Iris come to own it? Why is it acting like that? We know nothing about it and this ep, we couldn't even see it outside of drill mode.

- It's kinda sad that so far, Waruvile has shown more personality than half of Ash's team (Tepig, Pidove and Sewaddle) and has been more developped than most of them.

- The more Dento screen time, the better.

- Zuruggu is getting increasingly adorable, compelling and interesting. Love it!

Well, that was fun.

-The animation was noticibly different this week, but I liked it a lot. It seemed...rounder and led to more dynamic moments. I mean, Pikachu was making some really awesome faces in this episode. I hope that it comes back in a future episode because I would love to see this kind of animation like for a big important battle.

-Now, we had this episode begin with Iris' Kibago vs. Satoshi's Zuruggu. I'm glad they didn't forget this. Unfortunately, they both still suck pretty hard at actual battling. Oh well, keep trying Kiba.

-The Koaruhie were completely hilarious. I hope they come back. My favorite moment was both times of them blasting Mijumaru in the face and then he throws down his shell, but then picks it up. Awwwwww...

-For all these episodes, I was seriously wondering "Why does Meguroco want to fight so badly? I mean, is he just being a total dick or what." So yeah, it wanted to evolve. Kind of a shock. I liked the new evolving evolution though it actually growing into Waruvile was...kinda weird to be honest.

-Loved the part where Zuruggu tried to headbutt Meguroco and Mijumaru pulled him away. It's little things like that that I especially appreciate like when Tsutarja pulled Miju away from the Denchura.

-I was annoyed we didn't see all of Satoshi's mons in this episode like the manga said. However, yay, ElecBall. I don't think I'm supposed to think this, but I love how he makes it with his tail inb4 NOOOO! HE FORGOT VOLT TACKLE

Really. A fun episode.
No they didn't. It looks nothing like the games, because Sandile didn't have its molecules ripped apart and reformed.
Now, that would have been interesting
Even though the ducks were rather annoying, they made me instantly think back to the fond memories I had of the show Ducktales. Lol
I am 95% sure that was the intention. Or at least, I want to believe

Really, what's the point of Waruvile's "blasting off"? That was meaningless and the worst part of the eisode. Other than that, that was the BEST BW EPISODE for now!

This is easily the best BW episode so far. The animation felt a lot better in this episode. The style Pikachu was drawn in this time around also makes it look a lot better than the usual Pikachu. Wasn't expecting Pikachu to also learn a new move either.

My favorite part of the episode was the evolution animation. My god, it looks amazing and badass.

Good Points
  • Pikachu learns Elecball.
  • Meguroco evolves into Waruvile, and the new evolution animation is incredible.
  • Iris battles in the beginning of the episode.
  • The Koaruhie made me laugh.

Bad Points
  • Despite Iris's battle in the beginning, she and Dent didn't do much otherwise.
  • Volt Tackle might have been replaced...It's not a big deal, but Quick Attack is the preferable choice.

The Koaruhie were hilarious this episode! I loved their laughs, their wicked, evil laughs. >:D I wouldn't mind if they were reoccurring (I highly doubt they'll return, however). Their vacant eyes and trollish attitudes appeal to me.

Boiling Water sounds like a cool move, but I wish the animation could have been different from Water Gun. The ice produced from Ice Beam seems to be more sparkly this saga. xD

The new evolution animation impresses me; it's about time it changed. Meguroco evolving was cool, but I didn't see why it had to blast off this episode. The Koaruhie took care of that. I actually like the CGI Stone Edge. Dig is overused, though.

- It's kinda sad that so far, Waruvile has shown more personality than half of Ash's team (Tepig, Pidove and Sewaddle) and has been more developped than most of them.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who noticed this. I like Waruvile's personality and development, but at the same time, it's not one of Satoshi's Pokémon. Focus on them!

This also leads me to my next point...Mijumaru. It wasn't necessary in this episode whatsoever. Zuruggu at least needed the screen time. I like Mijumaru, but I only want it receiving screen time if it's 1) battling, 2) mastering Aqua Jet, or 3) developing. #1 barely passes since it didn't do much to defend against the Koaruhie.

Oh, and it was nice seeing you again, Doryuuzu. It's good to know you're still alive actually, I couldn't tell if you were alive, so it's good knowing Iris at least carries around her possibly dead friends. :p

Overall, this was a hilarious episode with an awesome new move for Pikachu. Now get a gym battle and then stay away from my screen for as long as you possibly can. ^_^

Oh wow it won't be long before we see SG Krookodile

Anyway did anyone else laugh when Ash,Pikachu,Sandile and the Ducklett got in a fight in the huge dust cloud that was the best part of the episode for me. Anyway it seems like Zuruggu is really warming up to Ash it went out to look for him and it got his hat for him :3

This episode had a bunch of Pokemon development and Pokemon connections with each other. Because of this episode, Sandile, to me, went from "whatever, it came back a second time but I'm still eh..." to "wow, a 3rd visit and it is shown to have more personality AND it evolved, looking cooler!"

The Sandile really got to me when it was sad while talking to the Ducklett about Sandile's sunglasses. I liked that scene!

The blast-off was unnecessary to me because Krokorok doesn't seem to fit that type of thing, however I'm fine with it because TR no longer does that. I don't really want to see it evolve into a Krookodile yet until maybe 10-30 episodes before the end of BW.

The new evolution effect is pretty cool too. Was that the first time we seen a Pokemon evolve in BW? Because in that case, I will hopefully see it happen a lot more in the future, along with Ash/Iris/Dento's Pokemon.

Last edited:
This episode was quite interesting to say the least.

This would have been a cookie cutter filler episode had it not been for a few differences:

1. Normally, there's Team Rocket acting as antagonists while the debuting Pokémon is left in a "victim" role. However, with the abcense of Team Rocket, the role of antagonist has been taken up by Pokémon (Mostly the Duckletts, but Sandile/Krokorok as well).

2. This could have very easily led to a capture, however, it decided to evolve and then gets blasted off by Pikachu. This can create an interesting dynamic that hasn't been seen before in this combination: a reoccuring Pokémon with elements of a human rival role. It's alot more interesting then Jigglypuff's bit.

It's a bit of a shame that Iris and Cilan and their Pokémon got cast aside this time around, but Ash, Pikachu, Sandile and the Ducklett's antics were the focus. Hopefully we get to see some progress with Iris real soon.

EDIT: I wonder if we'll see the Ducklett trio again?

I really liked this episode. But like everyone else, the blast off was really unnecessary. Meguroco evolves and blasts off. Great way to commemorate the first evolution in BW.

Also got a kick out if the evil Koaruhies.

Be honest.

Am I the only one who likes all of Ash's Pokemon, and have NO issues with them, except when they get treated like crap?

This was a very entertaining episode I thought.

Pros
-Sandile returns

-Oshawott is hilarious as usual! It's so funny when he deflects Scald to Iris, then gets himself burned. He was hilarious when he freaked out then got pisssed off, throwing his shell on the ground....then realizing what he did and puts it back on looking so cute!

-Pikachu learns Electro-ball

-The Ducklett were hilarious! Hilarious...but a bunch of douchebags.

-Sandile evolves into Krokorok. He looks so badass! The new evolution animation was awesome!

Cons
-Pikachu forgets Volt Tackle

-Ash doesn't catch Krokorok

Anyway it seems like Zuruggu is really warming up to Ash it went out to look for him and it got his hat for him :3

I completely forgot to mention this. I hope the writers continue to show Zuruggu doing little acts of kindness for Ash as the show progresses to show that it's getting used to him. It was also quite cute. :D

It was also quite cute. :D

I already liked it after its capture, made me laugh last week, but today, it retained its personality and it was super cute when it went back to give Ash its hat.

And he's responsible for the only time in the episode where I found Mijumaru tolerable, when it stopped Zuruggu from headbutting Sandile. That was funny how Mijumaru was like, "Dude, don't even try" :D

More Zuruggu!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loved the scene where Zugguru just politely handed the hat back to Ash. It honestly reminded me of a little child giving something back to its parent. Since its a baby Pokemon, it makes sense.

I really get the feeling Ash is going to capture this crocodile. He's caught evolved Pokemon before, so I wonder if it'll be caught in its second stage before it inevitably evolves again.

Yes Ash has a shitload of ground types now, but I guess it really makes no difference when they all battle differently.

Yeah, I'll admit the scene with Zugguru handing back Ash cap back was rather adorable. Zugguru in general is pretty great.

Honestly I don't see Krokorok as a comical character that just get's blasted off. They'll probably saving the capture for when Ash's team get's a bit more powerful.

GET THE FREAKING CROCODILE!

(Preferably by around the fifth gym or so)
Be honest.

Am I the only one who likes all of Ash's Pokemon, and have NO issues with them, except when they get treated like crap?
Right here.

I was so mad that we didn't see all of them like the magazine said.

i'd prefer it if some of the pokemon he has on hand actually EVOLVE first before catching a wild evo pokemon, and hopefully they don't drag the croc following Ash out past gym six at most or evolve it again, they do either one of those then I don't want Ash getting it for sure.

Then again he might not catch it, someone over at Serebii is claiming that all evidence of Ash getting it was him getting it as a sandile, now that it's evolved only one peice of "evidence" remains that being the lunchbox with the random pokemon.

I still want to shoot those ducks, annoying little duckfails...

It seems really odd for them to keep bringing this crocodile back. Especially now that its big and evolved, its going to cause a lot more trouble the next time it appears.

I do peg it as a capture, but I agree it probably won't be caught until Ash's team toughens up first, as this would probably wind up outclassing the starters at this point.

After what I saw today I don't care anymore if it does get caught, but if they evolve it again, or drag it out too far for it to make a difference (as i've said gym six is the max i'm willing to hold out for it to be caught.) then there's no point to it being caught.

It doesn't help that it's OWN stone edge is what caused it to be sent flying this time, that proves it's pretty powerful.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom