• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review BW031: Rival Battle! Vanipeti, Dokkorer Compete in a Battle!!

re: BW 031 "Rival Battle! Vanipeti, Dokkora Compete in a Battle!!" Review Thread

Bummer Ash didn't win "sighs", guess I'll have to call off the "Ash finally beat Trip" party.

re: BW 031 "Rival Battle! Vanipeti, Dokkora Compete in a Battle!!" Review Thread

A tie is good ans fine. His only loss, (Snivy to its evo), was perfectly acceptable.

For once there was no cheapness.

OMG... iris is so funny...
vanipeti is so cute but untill the name of the ep. came out i really didnt see shooti having one...
particularly when adeku has a baibanira in the games

Its unique to Trip, because he shows a rival with anormal dream, unlike paul who actually i never get to realize what his dream was...

But, as cute as his flashback scene was it should have been reserved for another character though...one with purple hair and a grumpy disposition, I'm still not really feelin' Trip's story. It's just really generic and predictable. You see the champion as a kid, you get impressed, you want to be the champion. I mean, what cheesy sports shounen hasn't used this plotline yet?

Well yeah, it was a bit of a cliche. But I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing. Plus, I'm still in awe at the fact that Trip has feelings after all.^^

From now on we can see things go in one of two ways:

1) We see Trip beating Ash in Unova League and battling with Alder after that;

2) We see Ash beating Trip in Unova League and finally winning the whole league. After that we see Elite Four challenge and Ash bringing his old Pokemon including Charizard. He even can beat all four members of Elite Four and challenge Alder.

But I just can't imagine how beginner like Trip can go through battle with Alder. I mean he has no any chances even after league to be a formidable opponent to Elite Four members. Ash in other way has pretty powerful team and if writers want it he can be a good opponent to E4 members.

P.S. But I can't imagine how this pathetic Ash can beat someone in the league, really. Even Iris who is very weak as a trainer is stronger than him.

I think Trip eventually will evolve into a Zoey-like friendly rival and:

a) Will beat Satoshi and eventually accomplish his goal to battle with Alder.

b) Will be defeated by another trainer. Ash will beat same trainer.

Well yeah, it was a bit of a cliche. But I guess I'm just a sucker for that kind of thing. Plus, I'm still in awe at the fact that Trip has feelings after all.^^

I enjoy the childhood element of it, and the fact that they could pull some sympathy out of the guy...that's about it. I know that certain events in one's childhood could impact the rest of your life; in Shooti's case, he went from a happy-go-lucky pipsqueak to a hicktown-hating by-the-book jerk :p

It makes perfect sense! I'm just disappointed that it wasn't deeper than that...that personality change seems too drastic. If there's nothing more to it than that, then I would REALLY LOVE to see remnants of his old personality now ^^

I think Trip eventually will evolve into a Zoey-like friendly rival

If I had to describe their current status, it'd be a "Zoey Rivalry Done Right." He's already attempting to help Ash out, but the shift from "jerk" to "completely boring nice guy" seems like it'd be a bit more subtle.

I enjoy the childhood element of it, and the fact that they could pull some sympathy out of the guy...that's about it. I know that certain events in one's childhood could impact the rest of your life; in Shooti's case, he went from a happy-go-lucky pipsqueak to a hicktown-hating by-the-book jerk :p

Somehow or other, the weight of the world went and crushed his gentle spirit. And yet he still dares to dream the dream. I have admiration for that.^^

(He could still do with a lot more fleshing out, of course. But as far as I'm concerned this episode was a very positive step in the right direction. I'm glad that the writers appear to have somewhat more interest in Trip than in making him as antagonistic as possible so that the audience will get maximum catharsis when Ash finally does kick his butt. I like seeing some shades of grey.)

Somehow or other, the weight of the world went and crushed his gentle spirit. And yet he still dares to dream the dream. I have admiration for that.^^
Awww!! bllleeecch XP

(He could still do with a lot more fleshing out, of course. But as far as I'm concerned this episode was a very positive step in the right direction. I'm glad that the writers appear to have somewhat more interest in Trip than in making him as antagonistic as possible so that the audience will get maximum catharsis when Ash finally does kick his butt. I like seeing some shades of grey.)

Yeah, I'm glad they decided to add this in because it's sure as hell more interesting than seeing Trip make off-hand remarks to Ash all the time XD I'm still looking for that moment where Ash beats him, by the way...but he's gonna have to show even more emotion than he did in this episode ;P

It'd be great if Ash defeated him in front of Adeku...that'd be crushing XD

It'd be great if Ash defeated him in front of Adeku...that'd be crushing XD

That'd actually be great for character development. Trip would, in a huge effort to make himself look good in front of Yugi Mot- Adeku, would underestimate Ash, who would royally kick his rear to Saturn. Trip gets some characterization, Ash gets a win that lets us know this rivalry isn't completely one-sided, everyone wins!

...oh wait this is the Pokemon anime. Ash is the only one who has to learn lessons. :V

That'd actually be great for character development. Trip would, in a huge effort to make himself look good in front of Yugi Mot- Adeku, would underestimate Ash, who would royally kick his rear to Saturn. Trip gets some characterization, Ash gets a win that lets us know this rivalry isn't completely one-sided, everyone wins!

...oh wait this is the Pokemon anime. Ash is the only one who has to learn lessons. :V

Buahaha XD

I think it'd also be a good way to avert the whole "rival battling the champion" bit that they played in DP (in fear of even more Paul-theme rip-offs). Because, in my opinion, Trip wouldn't mind too much if he lost to Adeku, since that's his ultimate goal and he's willing to work toward it for a while. But to have his ass handed to him in front of his idol by someone less than him? Humiliating. And that's exactly what that blondie needs, a good BSOD moment ^^

Hey, we've just discovered that Trip has feelings, and your immediate thoughts are just how badly they could be wounded? Dammit, you guys are brutal. XD

Hey, we've just discovered that Trip has feelings, and your immediate thoughts are just how badly they could be wounded? Dammit, you guys are brutal. XD

Well...yeah, he's Ash's rival, what did you expect? A road of nurturing and roses ahead? XDDD

It would make him more likable :3

It makes perfect sense! I'm just disappointed that it wasn't deeper than that...that personality change seems too drastic. If there's nothing more to it than that, then I would REALLY LOVE to see remnants of his old personality now ^^

If I had to describe their current status, it'd be a "Zoey Rivalry Done Right." He's already attempting to help Ash out, but the shift from "jerk" to "completely boring nice guy" seems like it'd be a bit more subtle.

The issue with this is that zoey was more experienced than dawn. However, ash is far more experienced than trip. Think about it, infernape could wipe out trips entire team by itself. Charizard, even faster. He'll secptile and bulbasaur could do it.

Trip is, unlike Paul, a total newbie. Ash isn't.

Anyways, Just like Ash has failed to accomplish his dreams thus far, I want Trip to be humiliated, I want to see him crying. Why? Because I dislike all of Ash's Rivals, sans Gary and Ritchie.

Last edited:

So after watching the episode subbed, I understand why Shooti used the ice cream against Ash's Pokabu. Shooti said how it is the same thing Ash would do (use a Pokémon at disadvantage, yep, totally!) and said how he wanted to try the same method against Ash.

After the battle ended in a tie, he said how Ash's method of battling doesn't suit to him. I wonder what propelled him in the first place to use an ice type against Ash's fire type.

I think Trip eventually will evolve into a Zoey-like friendly rival and:

a) Will beat Satoshi and eventually accomplish his goal to battle with Alder.

b) Will be defeated by another trainer. Ash will beat same trainer.

I have to agree with this, It is just A guess but I could see Trip had gained some respect for Ash in this episode, And it was a good battle.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom