• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Camerupt vs. Magcargo

Spyspotter

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
The token forgotten fire types on Gens II and III. Nobody seems to like them too much, but they're surprisingly useful.

But, which one is more useful? Which has the better design? Who wold win in a battle? Which has the better pre-evolution? And who is better overall?

I think Camerupt is more useful. It came in handy in Emerald, with its lovely combo of ground and fire. I think it's amusing that it can beat other fire Pokemon with ground while being weak to ground. It's hard to say which has the better design. Camerupt is a cute erupting camel, but Magcargo is a magma snail that rocks and its name makes me hungry for escargot. Who would win in a battle? It looks to me like the faster Camerupt would use a double super effective ground attack for a one-hit KO. As for their pre-evolutions, Numel is a numb camel. It's cute and useful, assuming the opponent's Numel doesn't get a higher Magnitude than your Numel. I like slugs almost as much as snails, so Slugma is quite nice too. It rocks that the flaming slug can learn Rock Throw before it becomes a rock Pokemon. Overall, I think I'll have to side with Camerupt, mainly because I have better memories of time training it.

I prefer Magcargo more in terms of design and pre-evolution (also both its main Abilities can help hatch Eggs faster), but I think Camerupt is a better battler.

I know these pokemon get made fun of, but Camerupt and Magcargo (and Torkoal, who I consider to be similar) are my 3 favorite fire types.

-I love Camerupt because I used one for YEARS and YEARS in sapphire version. Actually, I had 2 of them: one was on my level 50 "battle team" and was usually paired with my Chimecho for Levitate+Earthquake, and one was either at level 80 or 100 (I think he sat at 80 for a while, then I got him to 100 later) and I used him to feel powerful using Eruption. RIP both of you!
-I love Magcargo because it's part of my fanfiction world. The boyfriend of my main character uses a Magcargo as his main pokemon (well, it slowly becomes his main pokemon). The story has been running for 9 years, 6 of which Magcargo(/Slugma) has been present for. It has a special place in my heart for this reason.
-I love Torkoal because it was one of the main pokemon my brother used in Ruby version. Damn, that thing was tough sometimes; it always had more Sp. Def. than I anticipated. And I feel like Torkoal has one of the best designs of any pokemon. I don't have the emotional attachment to Torkoal as much as the other two, but I suspect my brother does.

This is why I can't choose! I think I'm going to say Magcargo wins by just a hair, but only because I'm reliving in my head some of his best battles scenes that I wrote. Specifically, against a Gyarados as a Slugma. :)

I absolutely love both of these pokemon....... but MAgcargo is always kind of special to me, so I voted for it :D

I choose Camerupt. I like it's design much more than Magcargo. It's almost kind of cute in a way. Funny, I actually prefer Slugma to Numel. I've only used Camerupt out of the 2 but only as a rental in PBR. But anyway, I figure Camerupt would win a battle due to type advantage.

Camerupt by a long shot. Macargo lacks too much in defenses for me to be comfortable using it.

Plus, Camerupt looks cooler. <3

I like Magcargo's design the most. It is cute in a very unusual way. Plus, I prefer the Rock-type over the Ground-type.

I never used any of them so I am not sure at that point. Magcargo has a cooler design than Camerupt though but Camerupt would win in a battle sinec it is Ground which means it has 4x effectiveness on Magcargo with Ground moves. Magcargo has the better pre-evo though(Numel is boring)so Magcargo wins 2-1.

Camerupt. They're about even design-wise (I'd maybe say I like Magcargo a touch more - such a rich shade of red), but having used the former in XD and the latter in Colosseum, Camerupt is surprisingly solid while Magcargo is just straight up bad. I'd definitely use Camerupt again before Magcargo.

That's a hard choice, both of them are awesome, although Magcargo's pokedex entry is just badass. I'd use Camerupt in battle anyhow.

In terms of battle, Camerupt wins without a problem. While Magcargo has high defenses to try and tank Earthquake, it cannot take an Earth Power attack to the face. Unless Magcargo ends up using Water-type Hidden Power (which I doubt it will), I don't see how it will win against the volcanic camel.

As far as designs go, Magcargo wins, mostly because its whole body evokes magma, lava and all that burning stuff, while Camerupt only evokes this theme via its 2 volcanic bumps on its back. Seems simplist, but it works for me.

Pre-evolution ? Both are decent, but I'd use Numel rather than Slugma, if only for having both Fire and Ground STAB moves. Watching out for attacks that are the weakness of Numel is part of a trainer's job, so switching it out isn't much of a problem.

Overall, Camerupt wins for me.

They both kinda suck for battling so I'm gonna go with Magcargo due to the egg hatching~

I'd choose Camerupt over it in a battle though

I adore Magcargo, it's absolutely my favorite fire-type. It looks cool and has an interesting (but shitty) type combination. Camerupt is just okay. It would obviously kill Magcargo in a fight but I don't care about that for the poll.

Camerupt, it has better typing, a cool-looking shiny form, and I somewhat like its Mega. Magcargo is ugly and boring and only good for hatching Eggs.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom