• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Can ten-year-olds really be trusted?

We all know how it's presented. But we're pretending that the Pokemon world is capable of some realism, m'kay?
Would you let your ten-year-old out like that?

Putting sense into the game, I love this. XD

I recently met my mother's friend's son, who was around the age of ten. Very immature, little-to-no thought of what came out of his mouth, etc. And wonder, imagine a kid like that with a Tyranitar. o_o; (An outrage would say hi, many would be injured) Not saying all ten year olds are like that, but some are... well, you know. Would I give the responsibility of having and training Pocket Monsters with capabilities that extremely exceed our own, and easily have consequences that are enormous... to a ten year old? No. D: Although it really depends on the person, I know twelve year olds that I'd trust more than some adults. Age doesn't exactly define much. Frankly, I'd level it around fifteen or so? [/lolpun] Just something that would give the youngsters some more time to... erm "develop" more of a sense between right and wrong, gain more of an ability to handle the pressures, responsibilities, etc. Would I mind programs that would place ten year olds in some sort of Pocket Monster development and enrichment school to aid them on their way to fifteen or so? Not at all. I just don't think they're ready to handle the enormous Pocket Monster world at the age of ten.

lapis-heart said:
And another thing: do you receive money from contests/gym battles? Or do those cost you to enter?

This is all stuff that's just bothered me a lot.
Wish canon would expand a little more.

Well i saw the pictures of the most recent pokemon episode at serebii. i was borsing though the pictures.

The episode was called "Episode 563 Pokemon Contest The Celestics Convention" it was the episode where Dawn fights her mother's rival. anyway before the conteset Dawn gose to this shop and finds this colthes she really likes. asks how much the price is. and sighs in dissapointment knowing that the price it too high.

So she gose and does her pokemon contest. she beats her mother's rival and goes back to the shop with new colthes. with Ash and Brock that also bhought as well. when i saw this i was like WTF where did they get the money. then i realize that Dawn won it in the contest.

So i think that if you win a contest you get some prize money. but i don't think you get money from the gym battles sadly.

Anyway here is the link to the episode i was talking about.

"Episode 563 Pokemon Contest The Celestics Convention"

Personally, I wouldn't set a 10-year-old out. However, I think that parents of trainers have a virtual bank acct accessible through the pokedex (since it also seems to function as an ID and stuff).

So she gose and does her pokemon contest. she beats her mother's rival and goes back to the shop with new colthes. with Ash and Brock that also bhought as well. when i saw this i was like WTF where did they get the money. then i realize that Dawn won it in the contest.

So i think that if you win a contest you get some prize money. but i don't think you get money from the gym battles sadly.

Exactly the kind of elaboration I was talking about. Thank you! :)

Okay, so now we know that you can certainly make a living in contests. No matter your age, race, or gender- totally dependent on your abilities.
How do the trainers that take the gym challenge fare, if they don't get prize monies? Especially the little kids?

And to Charizard's Chills:
Maybe it's not illegal in Japan?
Of course, that again will bring up the point of whether ten-year-olds are considered adults in this world.

Do you guys honestly expect 10-year olds to be handling Charizards and Tyrantiars within a week of becoming a Pokémon trainer?

If you want to apply Pokémon training realistically. It would probably take several weeks to train a single Pokémon. Sometimes years and years to get a strong Tyrantiar. By then, the trainer would obviously be competent and mature enough to handle such monsters.

kids are able to handle small kiddie-sized Pokémon while bigger Pokémon are most likely be trained by older more experienced people.

When I was 7 or 8 then I belived that 10 was a good number.

Now I belive it should be 15 x]

I mean 10 year olds are crazy people o_O

My brother is 10 and i don't think he could be trusted in a world of pokemon by himself he'd just walk around like he was shot hot and then he'd lose a battle and have a sook..

13 is a good age to be a trainer because you've just got into teenhood and your more mature

Do you guys honestly expect 10-year olds to be handling Charizards and Tyrantiars within a week of becoming a Pokémon trainer?

If you want to apply Pokémon training realistically. It would probably take several weeks to train a single Pokémon. Sometimes years and years to get a strong Tyrantiar. By then, the trainer would obviously be competent and mature enough to handle such monsters.

kids are able to handle small kiddie-sized Pokémon while bigger Pokémon are most likely be trained by older more experienced people.

That is a superb point!
It does take a while to get the really dangerous ones in-game, and on a more realistic scale that'd be quite a while.

Of course, what if someone was dumb enough to catch a Lairon in Victory Road, and give it to a little kid on their tenth birthday?

As a general rule, your statement makes perfect sense, but then there's the special circumstances.

When I was 10, I got dumped in the woods and told not to come back until I felt I was an adult. I get told that's weird all the time, but that's the way my family's been doing it for a few thousand years or so; my cousins all got the same. This also isn't that uncommon in large portions of the world, or at least, in tribal societies or places that have adulthood rituals. I always saw it through that lens, that Ash/Satoshi is going on what amounts to a vision quest. It's obvious adults are supposed to act differently, they're not supposed to go on adventures. Maybe that's the world's way of making kids settle down. Send them out there where the monsters live, and those that survive, mentally and physically, are now ready to settle down and live a proper life following their family's task in society.

It's harsh, but Japanese society is this way, too.

I'd be fine as long as I had my Mewtwo and Zapdoes. I'd never use them for evil, I'd take care of them, I'd not waste all my money, etc. I'm 13, by the way.

I agree, if I have all my pokemon I currently have in D/P, I would be fine.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom