• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Challenge Mode

Challenge Mode with AI like Battle Maison would be awesome, while sometimes they do terrible stuff they actualy think, attack you with whatever SE move they have and come up with these weird ass strategies that can screw you royally. Also they somehow predicted what move i was going to use and switch to a pokemon that could take the hit confortably, like switching a Gardevoir to "take" a Dragon Pulse from my Noivern and a Steelix to take a Play Rough from my Azumarill.

As long as they keep the E4 with 5 Pokémon, give the last three GL's with 4 and the first five 2-3, I'll be just peachy.

As long as they keep the E4 with 5 Pokémon, give the last three GL's with 4 and the first five 2-3, I'll be just peachy.

Or better, keep the last Gym Leader with 5, too. Maybe let Winona have her 5 from Emerald~

Honestly, I think if Wallace/Juan dropped their Luvdisc and only had 4, that would be an improvement. But 5 tough Water types would be good too.

Honestly, I think if Wallace/Juan dropped their Luvdisc and only had 4, that would be an improvement. But 5 tough Water types would be good too.

I don't think it would be too bad if they kept it. For BW2's Challenge Mode, the additional Pokemon was sometimes not exactly a strong Pokemon, either. Like Elesa had a Joltik added to her team.

In thinking about it, (not sure if it was already mentioned) ORAS having a Challenge Mode would be the perfect opportunity to simply replace all of the Gym Leader rosters with their Emerald teams. Easy Mode could have the RS teams, and Normal could perhaps be a mix of both (Tate and Liza, for example, having their Emerald team, or maybe just two additional Psychic Pokemon).

Or better, keep the last Gym Leader with 5, too. Maybe let Winona have her 5 from Emerald~

Yeah, just increase the teams overall. And maybe let us rechallenge the gyms every time you complete the League.

Or, as an alternate to Challenge Mode, simply improve all the major trainers Pokémon so that they actually be decent challenges from the start.(*) AND have the XY Experience Share (even if it is slightly nerfed), so that at least levelling up is actually a viable option for those who need it. (This also means no EXP scaling like in Gen 5!) Have an optional tutorial for movepools in the middle stages of the game for beginners (and have veterans be able to skip this) who aren't familiar with such.

(*) Have all the major trainers use Egg Moves from Gym 1, TM moves from Gym 3/4, at least one Pokémon with Hidden Abilities from Gym 6, and Mega-Evolutions from Gym 8. Basically more Pokémon that relies less from level-up moves and have better type coverage - any moves will do, as long as they can be legally acquired by whatever means. And all of them should have held items. Basically make the gyms like a progressive Battle Maison without the flat levels.

Last edited:
It'd be pretty cool to have Challenge Mode back. From what I've seen the AI can get pretty impressive. I think that one reason Challenge Mode doesn't seem that challenging to some people is that the opponents' teams look limited compared to what they could be. It probably can't be helped much considering how limited the player's choices are as well.

Watch as Gamefreak puts out a statement: "We don't think we'll be revisiting the Challenge/Easy Modes. From what we've seen not many people were playing these with these features."

Watch as Gamefreak puts out a statement: "We don't think we'll be revisiting the Challenge/Easy Modes. From what we've seen not many people were playing these with these features."

I doubt it. They're probably going to make up some kind of excuse for why they can't make it an option from the start, and then mention how people didn't like the way they did it in BW2 so it wouldn't be worth it to them.

A Mega wouldn't instantly make a player's team harder. It's pretty easy to defeat most Megas without Mega Evolving yourself.

What I'd like to see, is a Challenge Mode with a much more punishing A.I., where trainers have higher levelled Pokémon with better movesets that is available from the start. Maybe a higher encounter rate as well?. Black 2/White 2 allowed us to change the difficulty level from the starting menu, but I'd like GameFreak to take a leaf from Bravely Default's book by allowing us to change the difficulty on the fly.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom