• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character customizations?

While it might not impact sales too much, I feel like they will be getting a lot of heat for that decision. To take away customization, something that has been wanted for so long and we finally get it only to lose it? That's not going to look good for them.

There's still a tiny chance it will return in the third game(s) though. Maybe they're working on the logic that the remakes weren't worthy enough to have it (They're not Poke-France and therefore not in the fashion mecca of the world!)? Or they were too close to the deadline to implement an updated version so they just axed it (Like the Safari Zone was in G/S/C)?

I dunno... Brendan's outfit matches the Rock-Star Pikachu's clothing, and May's Idol outfit matching with Idol Pikachu's.

Who knows - we could be getting Idol Brendan in a pink frilly suit :3 We might be getting different contest outfits depending on the category we're entering.

And I mentioned this before, but if we don't get trainer customization, online battles are going to have boring intros when everyone is the same Brendan/May.

That would be cute if "Put on the costume you get from Lisia!" didn't sound so singular. Like I said before, I doubt they'd hide the fact that there's more character art based on the other Pikachu costumes at this point since the contest and especially the Cosplay Pikachu mechanics have already been revealed.

And I've been thinking a lot about the link battles and I've settled on maybe they just use the default NPC trainer character art you choose to be? Like taking "Orlando" being a Rich Boy in the Secret Base QR code as an example. Maybe he'll show up as a 2D Rich Boy Picture in the start of battle. Which is a huge downgrade but going by their logic who knows if they realize this.

There's still a tiny chance it will return in the third game(s) though. Maybe they're working on the logic that the remakes weren't worthy enough to have it (They're not Poke-France and therefore not in the fashion mecca of the world!)? Or they were too close to the deadline to implement an updated version so they just axed it (Like the Safari Zone was in G/S/C)?
That's true, although it'd still be sad. It'd be such a downgrade going from custom characters to NPC sprites.
But I suppose that even if it's not in this game, we do have the third games and the next gen games.

You'd think that they would have drawn one of them with a different hairstyle/hair color here:

ORAS_Contest_art.png

Like they did here:

Trainer_Customization_artwork.png

If one of them was supposed to be your character.

So that pretty much seals that trainer customzation isn't returning.

I dunno... Brendan's outfit matches the Rock-Star Pikachu's clothing, and May's Idol outfit matching with Idol Pikachu's.

Who knows - we could be getting Idol Brendan in a pink frilly suit :3 We might be getting different contest outfits depending on the category we're entering.

And I mentioned this before, but if we don't get trainer customization, online battles are going to have boring intros when everyone is the same Brendan/May.

fighting kalos trainers will probably have their customzation outfits or/as players will see or/as players as brenden/may and x/y players will see or/as players as default calum and serena

That would be cute if "Put on the costume you get from Lisia!" didn't sound so singular. Like I said before, I doubt they'd hide the fact that there's more character art based on the other Pikachu costumes at this point since the contest and especially the Cosplay Pikachu mechanics have already been revealed.

Maybe Lisia gives you one the first costume, and you have to earn the rest of the costumes in another way. Nothing else was revealed in CoroCoro, so we can't say for sure yet that there will only be one costume ever.

And it's not as if a GF employee announced officiallly, "Hey, pokemon gamers. We're not introducing customization in ORAS." They didn't say anything about not bringing customizations back. Nothing's confirmed.

Maybe Lisia gives you one the first costume, and you have to earn the rest of the costumes in another way. Nothing else was revealed in CoroCoro, so we can't say for sure yet that there will only be one costume ever.

And it's not as if a GF employee announced officiallly, "Hey, pokemon gamers. We're not introducing customization in ORAS." They didn't say anything about not bringing customizations back. Nothing's confirmed.

Why would they want to say something negative about a game they want to sell, for example cc2 did not inform us ahead of time that the edo tensei kage were just fight-able not playable in naruto storm 3 why didn't they come out and say that? Why didn't gamefreak come out and say difficulty isn't going to be in x/y like it was in black 2 and white 2, why didn't gamefreak inform us that secret bases won't be in black/white, theres no need to inform us a feature isn't in we'll find out the negatives about the game after its out not before. Gamefreak also didn't come out and say we're only gettng 71 new pokemon and despite knowing about hoopa and volcaion and I'm sure they know we know, they still feign ignorance about them.

Why would they want to say something negative about a game they want to sell, for example cc2 did not inform us ahead of time that the edo tensei kage were just fight-able not playable in naruto storm 3 why didn't they come out and say that? Why didn't gamefreak come out and say difficulty isn't going to be in x/y like it was in black 2 and white 2, why didn't gamefreak inform us that secret bases won't be in black/white, theres no need to inform us a feature isn't in we'll find out the negatives about the game after its out not before. Gamefreak also didn't come out and say we're only gettng 71 new pokemon and despite knowing about hoopa and volcaion and I'm sure they know we know, they still feign ignorance about them.

Good point about not saying negative things in case it might affect their sales.

There's still no confirmation about customizations making a comeback or not. You don't know until you actually get the game or GF decides to finally tells us customization is in ORAS. No need to be disappointed over something unconfirmed.

I really want customization back, especially improved, but if ORAS lack it, I'll survive.

I'll still get it if it's not in, but damn I'll be gritting my teeth at the same time. Especially since I'm really not a fan of May and Brendan's redesigns. I really hate GF sometimes.

I don't care all that much, personally. Not that it's a genius move to take it out, if they did...seriously, why? That's just blatant laziness...

It might just be the denial talking but I really want to believe that if it isn't present they're trying to improve it for the third game(s)/Gen VII and/or they took it out because they were running on a deadline.

Because the way Masuda and practically everyone in all the videos after the customization reveal sounded like that was the feature they really wanted to have ever since the first games but couldn't because of the limitations of sprites.

It might just be the denial talking but I really want to believe that if it isn't present they're trying to improve it for the third game(s)/Gen VII and/or they took it out because they were running on a deadline.

Because the way Masuda and practically everyone in all the videos after the customization reveal sounded like that was the feature they really wanted to have ever since the first games but couldn't because of the limitations of sprites.
What did he say about the feature? And deadline if they really wanted they could have just copied and pasted the outfits in, it is pure laziness.

I suspect that they just want to keep a big feature exclusive to XY. ORAS will bring Secret Bases, Contests and probably the Battle Frontier back, but XY lack similar features. What XY introduced are Pokémon Amie, Super Training and customization. The former two may be considered essential since they're actually related to Pokémon and their performance in battle, but customization may just be seen as an incentive for players to keep playing XY. It's rather like how FRLG and HGSS lacked Contests and Secret Bases/Underground, although not many people complained about the loss of those features.

What did he say about the feature? And deadline if they really wanted they could have just copied and pasted the outfits in, it is pure laziness.

If I remember correctly it was either a big reveal or a youtube subtitled clip from Smash where he discussed some of the new features and he was really exited about the customization bit. He was happy that it could finally debut in the Kalos games because the games were about emphasizing beauty. I'm paraphrasing since my memory's a bit hazy on all the stuff that came out last year regarding XY. But it was something along those lines at least.

And this is Game Freak logic we're talking about here. They didn't want to/couldn't finish the Kanto Safari Zone so they just closed it for a whole gen.

I don't necessarily have an opinion about customization, but what I'll say is that if the PSS is retained, I doubt customization isn't coming back (otherwise, all the icons of Brendan and May would look identical). Actually, once the Global Link is updated for ORAS, I'm pretty sure players will continue to be identified with distinct icons.

I don't necessarily have an opinion about customization, but what I'll say is that if the PSS is retained, I doubt customization isn't coming back (otherwise, all the icons of Brendan and May would look identical). Actually, once the Global Link is updated for ORAS, I'm pretty sure players will continue to be identified with distinct icons.

They won't all be Brendan and May. NPC icons exist and some people use them even in XY. Unfortunately they're rarely used because customization is a thing in those games and I guess people would rather give them a personalized touch. What will be the problem is if there's like a bazillion Rich Boy or Aroma Lady/School Boy/School Girl/Lass icons and you're not allowed to choose alternate colors.

PSS =/= proof of customization. There are ways around the lack of custom icons. Like having you choose a trainer class like you did in the sprite based games. People should be more concerned about what will happen during link battles or what will the compatibility with XY entail due to the apparent lack of customizations.

People should be more concerned about what will happen during link battles or what will the compatibility with XY entail due to the apparent lack of customizations.

Link Battles between XY, unless they changed it, should just show the models for Brendan and May. I don't see why that should be concerning. Compatibility should remain fine between the games regardless of whether of not there's customization.

That one piece of artwork with the characters all showing off different outfits and hairstyles was one made to promote the customisation feature. If I remember correctly, during the XY pre-release period, unless a piece of artwork or a screenshot was directly referring to the customisation, weren't we shown the standard Calem and Serena designs? For example:
Pok%C3%A9mon-Amie_artwork.png
What disheartened me though, was the confirmation that Pokémon Centres and PokéMarts were being separated again. I was hoping that they would have remained combined, with the old PokéMart locations being filled with Boutiques, offering a wider range of clothing items. Unless the PokéMarts now have a section for clothing too.

It's worth noting that the screenshot we've seen of the secret base sharing, does show that the PSS icons are returning. Although the one in the screenshot uses one of the default ones available in XY, it wouldn't make sense to only offer a small number of defaults.

Due to the larger variety in clothing styles, I've actually been playing through Pokémon Y as a female trailer and I'm loving the feature. As a girl, I can have multiple outfits that I can change depending on my mood, unlike the limited options for the male characters. I would like to see more options added, as opposed to the feature being taken away.

People should be more concerned about what will happen during link battles or what will the compatibility with XY entail due to the apparent lack of customizations.

Link Battles between XY, unless they changed it, should just show the models for Brendan and May. I don't see why that should be concerning. Compatibility should remain fine between the games regardless of whether of not there's customization.

Compatibility wouldn't be an issue... just that everyone using ORAS would show up as either Brendan or May when the XY people look diverse.

Maybe they're not announcing customizations outloud because it's aleady established and they felt no need to confirm again when it has been promoted once in XY. They didn't promote Amie in ORAS - amie was just used to promote the Pikachus iirc.

I suspect that they just want to keep a big feature exclusive to XY. ORAS will bring Secret Bases, Contests and probably the Battle Frontier back, but XY lack similar features. What XY introduced are Pokémon Amie, Super Training and customization. The former two may be considered essential since they're actually related to Pokémon and their performance in battle, but customization may just be seen as an incentive for players to keep playing XY. It's rather like how FRLG and HGSS lacked Contests and Secret Bases/Underground, although not many people complained about the loss of those features.
I don't really see why they need "incentive" to keep playing XY--ORAS is the new game and they should be pushing it. It's not like denying ORAS customization is going to boost XY's sales.

Compatibility wouldn't be an issue... just that everyone using ORAS would show up as either Brendan or May when the XY people look diverse.

Maybe they're not announcing customizations outloud because it's aleady established and they felt no need to confirm again when it has been promoted once in XY. They didn't promote Amie in ORAS - amie was just used to promote the Pikachus iirc.

Since they let slip that Amie is returning with the Cosplay Pikachu, then wouldn't it have also made sense to combine the info on the contest costumes and the customization. Even if it was just "You can only wear this special costume you receive inside the contest hall. Outside this illustrious establishment you must wear your own clothes available in the boutiques in (whatever cities)."

Also something I've noticed is that unlike the XY trailers, the trailers for ORAS are severely lacking in "footage not final" disclaimers.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom