• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Names

Sarcastically Insane

Lighting Things on Fire
Reaction score
Well, this is a problem I usually come across in writing, and that is the naming of character. It has to fit, it can't be too long for some characters, it can't be too short for others, it has to sound like this or that... those kinds of roadblocks.

I figured I can't be the only one out there with a problem naming people, so I thought I'd provide this handy link, which allows you to randomize a name from various origins or search meanings to put into character's (first) names.

I also thought that some others could share how they came up with names; naming them after friends, family, or historical figures, or that kind of thing. How do you guys find names?

Galvatron Kup!

Yes!

In all seriousness though, I have similar trouble naming characters. I managed to come up with what I think is a good name for my upcoming fic, but yeah it was a long process.

Galvatron Kup!

Yes!

In all seriousness though, I have similar trouble naming characters. I managed to come up with what I think is a good name for my upcoming fic, but yeah it was a long process.

Hello, TF3 plotline! XD

I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with names for my characters of my original work, which is still in the planning stages, but I don't think these will work. :p

You tell us to share how we come up with names, and you present in the first post my number one tool for it :rolleyes:

Also, this might come in handy for surnames. Has no randomizer, but the top lists can give you common, every-day surnames nobody will find suspicious :lol:

I practically only work with canon characters so I don't really make names up. The only time I did was for Koga's deceased wife that I named Chiyome after searching on Wikipedia for famous female ninjas.

Though Velasco Omega is an awesome name :D and I find the link you posted very interesting Kayi for my current fic where I need to find last names for canon characters. I'll be using it to find names that sound like either the name of city/the type of pokemon the character uses...

Thank you both for sharing!

In planning for my new fic, I've started to name all my characters and I think having a good mix of 'unique' names and more common names is good and adds to the believability to the story. Now, obviously 'believability' is relative especially when dealing with Pokemon, creatures with supernatural abilities and attacks, but you know what I mean.

Having every character named "Galvatron" or "Zxytomxy" or whatever is just asking for readers to become disengaged with your characters in my opinion. Obviously, your characters shouldn't all be named "John" or "Mark" either, but to get readers to relate with your characters, sometimes naming them right is a great way.

I've already made a thread about this...

But anyway, I don't rely on one site, and use many sites to find names that mean what I want them to, and then pick the one that sounds unique from the list, but not too unique because then it would sound weird.

I use varying sources - sometimes I flip through lists of friends' names, grab names from credits, use generators... from anywhere. Then I throw them all at a wall and see what sticks. I tend to go primarily for the first name, since that's what the audience will remember them as, then go for a surname to match. Oddly enough, of the three leads of the fic in my head, two have fairly common Engish names and the third has a relatively unique one.

Oh, and the name I got from the linked generator? Filip Bedwyr.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom