• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Character Redesigns: Yay or Nay?

Do you prefer the new redesigns?

• I love them!

Votes: 61 29.3%
  • I like the old ones better.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I like some of them, but like some of the old ones as well.

Votes: 89 42.8%
  • I'm really indifferent to this all.

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • They just should have updated the old art rather than do redesigns.

Votes: 24 11.5%

• Total voters
Loving the gym leaders. They are basically the same thing boosted. Which is how prefer redesigns.

Norman looks way too young though.

I mostly like Norman so far. The way he stands even looks like a real challenger. He may be the coolest guy in the game if he never smiles. His jacket, oh also takes me away. But just... Only if he was not given those sandals. It sordo destroys so many things on him.

My least favourite, also repellent one is actually Wattson. There is absolutely no single difference -even the way he poses- but outfit, which is worse than original one. He definitely looks like a plumber now. His misshapen jacket could not be any worse.

Overall, why everyone has obsessively way weird shoes? Hoenn, where you have a holiday during your journeys. Collect GYM Leaders from the beaches. They may be unable to see you though.

Last edited:
My least favourite, also repellent one is actually Wattson. There is absolutely no single difference -even the way he poses- but outfit, which is worse than original one. He definitely looks like a plumber now. His misshapen jacket could not be any worse.

*GASP!*

Could he be a long lost relative to the Brothers Mario?! :eek:

Last edited:
I mostly like Norman so far. The way he stands even looks like a real challenger. He may be the coolest guy in the game if he never smiles. His jacket, oh also takes me away. But just... Only if he was not given those sandals. It sordo destroys so many things on him.

Overall, why everyone has obsessively way weird shoes? Hoenn, where you have a holiday during your journeys. Collect GYM Leaders from the beaches. They may be unable to see you though.
Normans sandals are geta, which are basically the Japanese version of flip flops. It fits with the Dojo theme. As for Wallace, he always had the jumpsuit, but was covered by that ridiculous sweater. I'm not saying that your wrong to have an opinion, just that you might not be seeing the whole picture behind the changes.

Normans sandals are geta, which are basically the Japanese version of flip flops. It fits with the Dojo theme. As for Wallace, he always had the jumpsuit, but was covered by that ridiculous sweater. I'm not saying that your wrong to have an opinion, just that you might not be seeing the whole picture behind the changes.

I think you meant Watson, my dear Watson. :)

Redesigning of characters will add customization flavor in the game. That's one of the reason why I appreciate Pokemon XY even though the story and plot are not that good. And yes, prices for clothes and other accessories should be lower.

Norman -- kid Dad.
Brawly looks really cool. Flannery looks -- about the same? Roxanne looks a bit young too. 3D modeling makes everything look chibi, actually, compared to rugged 2D pixel art.

Too young compared to what? Roxanne's supposed to be a student still.

Too young compared to what? Roxanne's supposed to be a student still.

Nope, in the anime she was the teacher and in the original games, she was a graduate of the trainers school. Besides the PWT man implied that her age was ambiguous. Until now, it seemed like Game Freak was always intent on keeping her that way. Making her younger and a student of the school is weird.

Her title is "The Rock-Loving Honors Student". That seems to imply that she's just a very good student, or that she's a student-teacher, in any case I think her design makes her look more like she's supposed to be .

She would still be pretty young anyway so she looking like a student isn't too out of place, after all most people would rather look young than old so maybe she's just taking good care of her appearance.

Last edited:
Nope, in the anime she was the teacher and in the original games, she was a graduate of the trainers school. Besides the PWT man implied that her age was ambiguous. Until now, it seemed like Game Freak was always intent on keeping her that way. Making her younger and a student of the school is weird.

To add to FullMoon's comment, nowhere in her dialogue did it say she was a graduate of the Trainer School, just that she applied what she learned from Trainer School in battle. You don't need to have graduated to be able to do that, you could still be attending. That's basically the entire premise of the Schoolkid trainer classes anyway.

And let's not bring the anime into this as evidence for game canon--it creates more misconceptions than it resolves (i.e., you may be a trainer at 10 in the anime, but no such age limit exists in-game, and Red started at 11).

I don't think Roxanne looks "too young" seeing as she didn't look all that old before. The new art style makes everyone look pretty young, so that's probably all that is.

Am I the only one annoyed by The Magma and Aqua designs, May kinda bothered me two a little, but I liked her over time.

Team Aqua is probably my favorite out of all the redesigns, they look just so much more cooler and have a lot more personality to them.

Am I the only one annoyed by The Magma and Aqua designs, May kinda bothered me two a little, but I liked her over time.

I actually adore the Team Aqua designs. Much more scruffy pirate! (Shelly and Archie did take some getting used to, but I didn't dislike them from the start or anything)

But yeah, I agree with the Magma designs. Like overall they still bear similarities to the old design, but the socks/shoes are weird and I think they could have put in a bit more black (like their old design), cause Team Aqua's colour scheme is way better balanced

I also have mixed feelings about Maxie. I adore his glasses, but I feel like Team Magma overall had a bit more of a ninja theme (so basically Ninja's VS Pirates) and that's entirely gone now. They should have kept his man-dress (but update it)

As for the admins, though Tabitha's design was changed drastically, I still think he was not memorable at all with his old design, so I feel like I can't seriously complain about it (and it's not exactly a bad design, mostly a big change)

I guess I mainly dislike the Magma Grunts XD And the entire teams weird socks/shoes
As for May, I kinda miss the bandana, but she's technically she's still wearing one (it's not a bow) but in a more up to date way (srsly, a lot of girls wear bandanas like this lately) and it wasn't until a few weeks back I discovered she has a tiny ponytail (which I for some reason really like)

I also have mixed feelings about Maxie. I adore his glasses, but I feel like Team Magma overall had a bit more of a ninja theme (so basically Ninja's VS Pirates) and that's entirely gone now.

What about the old Team Magma made them look like ninjas? They just looked like cultists to me.

I guess I mainly dislike the Magma Grunts XD And the entire teams weird socks/shoes
As for May, I kinda miss the bandana, but she's technically she's still wearing one (it's not a bow) but in a more up to date way (srsly, a lot of girls wear bandanas like this lately) and it wasn't until a few weeks back I discovered she has a tiny ponytail (which I for some reason really like)

I think the "weird socks" are some sort of heat repellent or protectant. If they're going to be around hot magma a lot of the time, it doesn't make sense for them to wear more clothing, so it seems likely that they're in some way meant to protect from the heat.

May has a tiny ponytail?

WOAH WOAH WOAH. She has a pony tail? And I miss her bandana too. I think that was most iconic about her design, and I don't think wearing it like that is any better. I miss her mini skirt too (or is a skort? I can't tell the difference) They removed lots of major parts of her design or at least changed them. At least she keeps her bicycle shorts and that awesome butt bag- I mean fanny pack.

Maxie looks classy af. Archie looks... Radically different. I don't really feel that Archie's redesign is bad thing or a good thing, it's just... Different.

The redesigns all get an A+ for me with the exception of Sidney. I don't get why they changed his clothes so much. What kind of pants is the guy wearing exactly? And why is his face contorted in that jarring position? :/

What about the old Team Magma made them look like ninjas? They just looked like cultists to me.

I think the "weird socks" are some sort of heat repellent or protectant. If they're going to be around hot magma a lot of the time, it doesn't make sense for them to wear more clothing, so it seems likely that they're in some way meant to protect from the heat.

I don't think their design ever screamed 'ninja', but it did feature a black/dark base and I guess the hood (plus they shared a lot of Pokémon with the Ninja Boy trainer class, though that also prolly has to do with the fact they're Grunts and rarely get anything good). So personally it reminded me of ninjas

And yeah, it might have been, but that doesn't change the fact it's kinda ugly. I really don't like the stripes/pattern and the abundance of shades of red, it's unbalanced

May has a tiny ponytail?

WOAH WOAH WOAH. She has a pony tail? And I miss her bandana too. I think that was most iconic about her design, and I don't think wearing it like that is any better. I miss her mini skirt too (or is a skort? I can't tell the difference) They removed lots of major parts of her design or at least changed them. At least she keeps her bicycle shorts and that awesome butt bag- I mean fanny pack.
EN_V1_p16_03_kne.jpg

Yup. I didn't notice at first either, until someone making fanart pointed it out. It's not really a big ponytail or anything, but it's not a tuft of hair either

Back
Top Bottom