• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Charizard vs Typhlosion

Charizard. His design might not be the most original, but neither is Typhlosion's. Charizard's Movepool is huge, and despite the added weaknesses and the pesky 4x weakness to Rock, immunity to Earthquake and ability to use both STABs efficiently with a Movepool that works for his best offensive Stat puts Charizard at an edge.

As it is, Typhlosion is just a failed copy. Yep, exact same Stats in the exact same places bug me much more than repeated Types. Both are stupid reasons to complain anyway. That aside, I prefer Charizard, because he can do much more stuff than Typhlosion.

Charizard looks great and it learns Dragon-type moves. Charizard for me.

Typlosion. My first starter, man did I love that thing. Lvl 100 in a pc in b/w now. Maybe I'll fight elite four with her.

One thing to say to all the zards!
Typlosion used rock slide. Nuff said.

Last edited:
1. I prefer Charizard for its neat design

2. Typhlosion because of those darn stealth rocks crippling my Charizard

3. Probably Charizard for his Belly Drum moveset back in Gen 4, which means high-powered EQ = dead Typhlosion

Typhlosion for sure, I'm sad that he's got the exact same stats as Charizard and that his move pool isn't great but he's definitely got the best design.

Which one of these guys do you prefer? Typhlosion

Which one is more useful overall? Charizard or Typhlosion. Honestly I think it depends on the game you're playing in and your personal battling style.

Which one would win in a battle? Typhlosion.

Only thing Charizard has over Typhlosion is the bigger movepool and an immunity to Earthquake. Nice improvements to be sure, but it also comes with plenty of weaknesses. In the modern pokemon world you're far to likely to run across Stone Edge. And in terms of this battle a well placed Wild Charge can do Charizard some serious damage.

I chose Typhlosion because it was easy to solo the Johto region AND win the league with only one Typhlosion. Plus, it's also fairly easy to solo the Kanto regions afterwards with only Typhlosion

Meanwhile, I found it hard to solo Kanto with Charizard.

I choose Typhlosion, because in usual combat, Typhlosion can cover all of it's weaknesses with Solarbeam, allowing more room for extra moves. This is also why I prefer pure fire-types over most dual types.

I choose Typhlosion, because in usual combat, Typhlosion can cover all of it's weaknesses with Solarbeam, allowing more room for extra moves. This is also why I prefer pure fire-types over most dual types.

But no one would use Solarbeam unless your fire type is under the sun, because it wastes two turns and allows your opponent to switch to one of his/her Pokemon who resists grass types. It's why I recommend Grass Knot or Energy Ball as an alternative, but very few fire types have them.

I'm not really into fire types, but i like Typhlosion better. I like his design more than the dragon.

Which one of these guys do you prefer? Probably Charizard because of the anime.

Which one is more useful overall? Charizard because it gets Solar Power making it usable in Monogen Sun teams.

Which one would win in a battle? Typhlosion. HP Rock 1HKOs.

Charizard.

Aesthetically, definitely Charizard. It just looks more powerful. However, Typhlosion would probably win in a fight. And since Cyndaquil was my first ever starter, I think I'll go with Typhlosion.

I prefer Charizard over Typhlosion, mainly because he can fly, and I really like Charizard's design. I do like Typhlosion's too, but he doesn't have wings and stuff. Charizard is probably more useful, as it can be used as a method of transportation, where as Typhlosion can't. Winning in a battle depends really. Speed and held items can make it either way, although if we're talking anime style, I'd say Charizard again. Being able to fly means it could potentially wear out Typhlosion by aerial manoeuvres.

Typhlosion. I hate Charizard for numerous, most probably silly, reasons, but I hate it nonetheless. I don't hate Typhlosion at all. In fact, I'd say it's probably my favourite fire starter (probably just outbeating Infernape) and is one of my favourite pokemon ever. I like its design and the animal its based on (badger, I think). Though it does look like a wolverine a little and they are awesome animals. Plus Cyndaquil and Quilava are both great. Mammals > reptiles imo.

It disappoints me that it has exactly the same stats as Charizard - seems lazy. It being faster would have been great (110 speed maybe, gah).

Typhlosion >>>>>>>>>>>> Charizard.

i would have to say typhlosion, because not only is he the only pure fire type starter pokemon ever, i love typhlosions attacks like wild charge, lava plume and eruption in which can really hurt teams even with water types on it, and plus i was really never a charizard fan :3

Both of them are bosses. But I would prefer Typhlosion. 1-Speed(Faster than Charizard) 2-Special(Better than charizards? 3- Awesome(He is plain Awesomeness)

Both of them are bosses. But I would prefer Typhlosion. 1-Speed(Faster than Charizard) 2-Special(Better than charizards? 3- Awesome(He is plain Awesomeness)

They have the exact stat distribution so their speed and special attack is the same..

I prefer Typhlo. Was amazing in Crystal, although it wasn't as good in HeartGold. Still Eruption is deadly and I dislike Charizard.

typhlosion!!!! hes my 2nd favorite pokemon ever besides charizard is way to popular hes weak because he takes 4x damage to rock type moves and gets destroyed by stealth rocks, typhlosion is the only pure fire type starter i which is just epic

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom