• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Clever Pokémon Nicknames

I usually find some (pop) culture reference to name a Pokemon. So I have:

a Misdreavus named "Giselle"
an Infernape named "Son Goku"
a Golduck named "Ahiru" because I haven't gotten around to changing it to "Tutu"
a male Lopunny named "Peter"
a Gastly named "Danny"
two Buizel named "Milo" and "Nyac"
a Ponyta named "Epona"
a Marill named "Pikablu"
and a Tentacool named "Squishy"

Just to name many of a whole lot more. And if anyone can place these, that would be amazing.

Leafeon : -GRaS-
Umbreon : -DaRK eYe-
Espeon : -PSYCoRR-
Flareon : -SuNSPoTS-
Jolteon : -1000000v-
Vaporeon : -DRiZZLe-
Glaceon : -SHiVeR-
Gallade : -Gay LaD-

A couple more of mine:

Umbreon - Lilith (meaning "of the night")
Kadabra (m) - Teo (named after one of my fictional characters)
Relicanth (m) - Holden (the etymology has 'deep' in it somewhere, so...)
Combee (f) - Vespa (Latin for wasp, but it's close enough)
Dusclops - Asura (named after the bandage-swathed, chaos-breeding antagonist of 'Soul Eater')

Alakazam[m]: Blaise (named after the great mathematician Blaise Pascal)
Porygon-Z: Eclipse (named after the Java-writing program Eclipse)
Drapion[f]: Scorpia (like "Scorpio" but with an -a instead of an -o because she's female)
Ampharos[f]: Jasmine (named after Jasmine from GSC)
Ampharos[m]: Amphy (named after Jasmine's Ampharos from GSC)

All of mine are nicknamed, so I'll just put some from Pearl, not including from NPC trade:

Bedtime (Hypno)
Dark Snow (Weavile)
Hugs (Luxray)
Palkia (without all caps)
Pudding (Blissy)
Water (Empoleon)
Snake (Onix)
Kitty (Skitty)
Inky (Ditto)
PPPPPPPPP (Piplup from Ditto breeding)
Ring (Chimecho)
I Dunno (Unown O)
Kazzie (Kadabra) (To match Kazza from NPC trade)
Cuddles (Abra)
Dance (Mr. Mime)
My Abc's (Mime Jr.)
Factory (Bronzong)

Last edited:
Am..
My team name is Hikairi..
I know its odd.
My team names are:
Marth, Zelda, Ike,Vaan and others but I can't remember.
I know. They're pretty random. But I like games. :D

I find it difficult to think up names on the spot, but I try to get around to it with the Name Rater's help. I hope to nickname all the Pokémon that I can. Here are a few:

Grotle: Shellshock (A name I found fit his appearance, and it sounded intimidating)
Prinplup: Frostbite (same reason as with Grotle)
Luxio: Sparkster (Well, he's an electric type...)
Ponyta: Equinox (I was going to call it Equus, but found that this sounded better)
Onix: Onni (it's a girl)
Sandslash: Sandi (same as with Onix)
Bidoof: Uglymoron (I really hate Bidoof)
Torchic: Morrison (He was my starter Pokémon in Ruby, and I wanted to give him a somewhat special name, so I named him after my favourite singer, guess which one)
Zizagoon: Cooper (after Sly Cooper)
Entei: Boo-Boo
Suicune: Sou-Sou
Raikou: Ling-Ling
(These ones are named after the nicknames of me and my two sisters, lol. I'm Boo-Boo)
Stantler: !Stantoon! (The first exclamation mark is pronounced as a clicking of the tongue. My sister thought of this one)
Gligar: Batsy (This one's kind of unoriginal, but I like it)
Ampharos: Snoopchu (My sister said it looked like Snoopy, and the -chu comes from Pikachu, since it's an electric type as well)
Lairon: Ironhide (He seems sturdy, lol)
Skarmory: Ironbeak (He's a metallic bird)
Phanpy: Oliphant (LotR reference, lol)
Psyduck: Quacks (fits with the animal it's based on, and it sounds funny too, lol)
Buneary: Antylomon (named after the digimon in the movie)
Noctowl: Charles (Sounds like a sophisticated enough name for a Noctowl)
Granbull: Jaws (self-explanatory)
Machop: Musashi (He's a martial artist, I know it's not related to Musashi, but it made me think of him anyway, lol)
Wobuffet: Dave (I found him so cute when he was a Wynaut, and it seemed like Dave was the perfect name for him)
Swellow: Tweety (another unoriginal name)
Staravia: Tweetums (slightly better than Swellow's nickname)
Heracross: Herck (A reference to Hercules. Not sure I see the connection myself, but he's a fighter, thus he's strong, and their names are somewhat similar)
Dunsparce: Dun-Dun (it sounded cute when I thought of it)
Chingling: Jingles (fitting with his appearance)
Bonsly: Bonsly (I like the name so much, that I nicknamed him Bonsly, with the rest of the letters in lower case, so that his name stays that way even after he evolves into Sudowoodo)
Wooper: Woop-Woop (I find it funny)
Combee: Honeycomb (seriously, it's the perfect name)
Pikachu: Sparky (I'm a nostalgiafan)
Bulbasaur: Bulby (It's the best name I could think of for now, not sure what happened there)
Rattata: Tom (After Tom and Jerry, I plan to name Meowth, Jerry)
Pidgey: Pidg (Seems funny enough)
Weedle: Sting (Seems fitting)
Mankey: Fury (He's always angry)
Murkrow: Nightwing (speaks for itself)
Dialga: Didi (fits with the whole 'giving legendaries harmless names' joke)
Groudon: Terry (he's the continent Pokémon and it sounds down to earth)
Giratina: Giratania (When I first saw Giratina's name, I had read it Giratania for the longest time, when I found out it was actually Giratina, I was dissapointed since Giratania sounded so much cooler, thus the nickname)

I must certainly have more, so I'll add them as soon as I remember.

Last edited:
This time around I've been using actual names similar to my Pogeys names:

Empoleon (f) - Emma.
Drifblim (m) - Brian.
Lucario (m) - Ricky.
Graveler (f) - Grace.
Luxray (m) - Raymond.
Milotic (f) - Milly.

And then some that are just references:

Gallade (m) - Gallifrey (Yes, shut up.)
Roserade (f) - Rose (Seems unoriginal, but it's a Doctor Who reference.)
Houndoom (f) - Lilith (I thought Hell-Hound and then immediately thought of Supernatural.)

Here are some of mine.

Torterra - Forest
Gyarados - Flounder
Medicham - Gypsy
Hippowdon - Hippo
Staraptor - Delta
Luxray - Static
Toxicroak - Toxic
Palkia - Dialga
Psyduck - Psyana
Drifloon - Mega
Vespiquen - Queenie

All of my EV trained Pokémon have nicknames; some of them are:

+Crobat - Kreuz Fled: kreuz (German for "cross") + fledermaus (German for "bat").
+Toxicroak - Noxrosch: noxious + frosch (German for "frog").
+Azumarill - Blu Rabito: blu (Italian for "blue") + Rabito (Italian surname and a pun on "rabbit").
+Camerupt - Vulcameau: Vulcan (the Roman god of beneficial and hindering fire in mythology) + chameau (French for "camel").
+Shiny Togekiss (male)- Jonah Gil: Jonah comes from the Hebrew name Yonah which means "dove"; Gil is also Hebrew and means "joy". Both names are masculine.
+Kingdra (male) - Rex O'Camp: Rex means "king" in Latin; O'Camp is the surname of an old friend and a pun on 'Hippocampus', the genus of which seahorses belong.

Well, I like to nickname my team Pokemon when I think of a nickname that suites them. So far, three of the six have names:

Skarmory-Eve (I named her after that one robot off of the movie Wall-E)

Spiritomb- Disturbia (This song)

Grumpig-Ryoga (a character off of a show I like, Ranma 1/2. He turns into a pig, so I thought it fit)

I'll post the rest when they get names

Azelf- Elfstar (My bro's coh character)
Uxie- Iexxu (I had recently played KH2 and the whole 'rearrange the characters name and add an x)
Alakazam- Whatever Alakazam is in Japanese (GTS >_<)
And lots of other weird GTS Names.

I call mine after my favourite book series.... Not the books themselves, but ideas I created or rather names I created on my own accord. They somehow relate I guess..

I'll just put a few.

My favorite one is this- Shiny Kingler: MC Hammer (Yes, I am awesome)
My egg-hatching Pokemon, Magmortar: The Eggman (The Beatles ftw)
My electric-attracting Pokemon, Ampharos: Sparkplug
My catcher Pokemon, Gallade: Marmalade (lolwut)

My Charmander's nicknamed Elliott for Elliott Smith and Elliot the Dragon.

My Pichu's nicknamed Pikabu to keep the legacy of Pikabu's going in my Pokemon games. I always have a Pikachu named Pikabu because of the sound similarities.

I nicknamed my Bidoof Yoshi in honor of my late great lazy dog of the same name.

I nicknamed Geodude Gaea based off of the old supercontinent of Earth due to his earthy rock feel.

I nicknamed Paras MagicShamn in reference to psychedelic mushrooms.

I nicknamed Cyndaquil Ra in honor of the Egyptian God.

And I nicknamed Shinx Blimba because of it being the lion cub and Simba from The Lion King was a lion cub, Shinx is blue, so there ya go... Blimba.

That's what I got for now of Pokemon nicknames haha

Shiny Pachirisu : Sparkblast
Shiny Salamence: Stormwave
Shiny Dugtrio: Shiny :p *Got whne i was 10 and excited about it
Shiny Minun/Plusle: MinusBlast, PlusBlast
Normal pachirisu: Flufftail
Minun Plusle: Minuslight, Pluslight
Articuno: Snowstorm
Zapdos: Zapwave
Moltres:Firestorm
and can't be bothered naming the rest xD

I nicknamed Geodude Gaea based off of the old supercontinent of Earth due to his earthy rock feel.

That is actually the Greek name for Earth. Pangea is the name of the supercontinent. Still appropriate though.

The only pokemon I have nicknamed was my Gallade.I change it frequently though.It was Psyduck, but lately I have changed it to Karkp Karp to honor the greatest fish pokemon ever

I always name my Charizard line 'Ember' (unless female or I have lots of egged Charmanders). I then also always name my Bulbasaur and Squirtle lines 'Bulb' and 'Shell' respectively. Cyndaquil - Cinder/Cinders. Torchic - Torchy, Sceptile - Gheckoe(note spelling), Mudskipp - Mudskipper(for the species of fish of the same name). My first Infernape is called Fire-Ape, because at the time I did not realise that Infernape has been incorrectly named - it has a tail and thus is a MONKEY, not an ape. Turtwig - Roots. I may post non-starter consistent nicknames tomorrow.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom